Tire Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Detailing

What do you guys do to detail your tires? I have something stained on my tires that is brown in color??? I dont know what it is. I wash them and when they are wet they look fine but as soon as they dry they still have the brown residue on them. I think it might be brake dust?...
Its hard to get every nook and cranny in my tire too because I have the nitto mud grapplers and they have a aggressive sidewall. I dont use any special tire cleaner on my tires when i was it, just normal soap that i use on the truck. Am I going to need to buy some tire cleaner to fix this or what? I want them nice and black and shiny!!

Old 06-18-2008, 10:33 PM
if you want some over the counter stuff, invest in some simple green. It works good with a stiff brush.

If you really want a good cleaner.. Meg's All Purpose Cleaner Plus, but unless you have a distributer near by you'll have to order that.

Hope that helps bro.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 PM
What have you been using to clean your wheels and dress your tires?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Simple Green Works good.
I use APC to, probably the ideal product for the job.
Mothers Rubber and Tire also works great. What your looking for is a non acid product that wont harm your rims.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:26 AM
That brown that comes out is called blooming. It is the antiozonants in the tire. To get rid of that, you just have to keep cleaning them. A really good OTC tire cleaner that helps a lot with this is Eagle One A2Z Wheel and Tire Cleaner and a brush. You also have the option of an APC. If you use an APC, just make sure you dilute it accordingly. Using tire dressing is a plus too.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:07 AM
Suspended
Also, pick up some Hyper Dressing by Meguiar's and apply it at a 4:1~ ratio. It will fix the brown and give you protection and shine.

www.autodetailingsolutions.com

Old 06-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Originally Posted by Seth19
What do you guys do to detail your tires? I have something stained on my tires that is brown in color??? I dont know what it is. I wash them and when they are wet they look fine but as soon as they dry they still have the brown residue on them. I think it might be brake dust?...
Its hard to get every nook and cranny in my tire too because I have the nitto mud grapplers and they have a aggressive sidewall. I dont use any special tire cleaner on my tires when i was it, just normal soap that i use on the truck. Am I going to need to buy some tire cleaner to fix this or what? I want them nice and black and shiny!!
The secret to detailing tires, (and anything else) is in the prep. In other words, get the tires super clean before applying any dressing. If you are dealing with really dirty, scuffed up tires, here's my recommendation....

First, get a pretty aggressive tire and wheel cleaner (like Eagle One). Follow the directions, and use a good stiff brush to get into all those nooks and crannies. If necessary, apply a second application of the T & W cleaner. Don't forget to RINSE thoroughly.

Next, get a brass brush made for RWL tires. Using a good APC, scrub the areas that have scuff marks to remove them and rinse.

Lastly, use your APC and your regular tire brush to go over the tire again, and again rinse thoroughly.

It probably takes me about 15 minutes per tire/wheel on my personal vehicles when I'm really "going after them".

As for dressing, it's a personal choice. They all seem to work better, and last longer when the tires are properly prepped.

HTH

Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 AM
Spray Nine and a brush brings them right back to new, It works wonders on white lettering as well. Just make sure you pressure hose it off right away.

Spray Nine does such a good job, I often don't even bother with a tire dressing afterwards, although it doesn't make the sidewalls shine, but it does make the tire look like new again.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Awsome info guys, thanks. Im not sure what APC is but everyone seems to mention it...
Ill let yall know how everything turns out

Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by Seth19
Awsome info guys, thanks. Im not sure what APC is but everyone seems to mention it...
Ill let yall know how everything turns out
APC - All Purpose Cleaner by Meguiars

Old 06-19-2008, 03:54 PM
I've always heard that a brown cast on the tires comes from a lack of protection from the sun and elements (but I doubt that it is the case looking at your truck). Does it have the same appearance as if the tire were curbed?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 PM
here is a picture and a little more about blooming:

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_59#_59

Old 06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Suspended
When I've got a tire that has been subjected to blooming, I'll spray it down with water. Spray it down with a good APC, like Meguiars APC+ or Simgle Green. I prefer Meguiars APC+ as it is one of my favorite products by far. APC stands for All Purpose Cleaner and the "+" in Meguiars APC+ stands for the ability to be used on carpets as well as everything else. Let the APC sit on the tire for about 30 secounds before starting to scrub it with a stiff bristled brush with soap and water. This should clean the "brown" right off of the tire but remember it will strip any wax that you have put on your wheel so they will have to be re-waxed.

Also keep this in mind. Keeping the "brown" off of your tire is all about maintenance. Wash your tires every time you wash your vehicle with soap and water. I only use a dedicated tire mitt to clean my wheel. If you're still getting blooming that means you're not washing your vehicle often enough.

Originally Posted by Les22
here is a picture and a little more about blooming:

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_59#_59
Good link.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Everyone's suggestions in here are great and I recommend to try probably some simple green or APC (All purpose cleaner) with a hard bristled brush. However this is something that no one has mentioned yet. Be VERY careful as to not get any of the cleaners on your paint. If it does, it will take off all of your wax in that area. If it does get on you will just have to reapply your wax.

It is likely that some cleaner will get on your wheels, so I would suggest waxing them when you are done!

PS: Is my sig too big?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:31 PM
Suspended
Andrew I did mention the ability of APC to remove waxes. But, yes you're completely right. Be careful with it.

The new signature size limit is 500x100 pixels by the way.

Quick Reply: Tire Detailing