Cleaning after cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning after cleaning

So after I spent 8.5 hours detailing my truck I realized one important step that I missed. The little thing about masking off trim so you don't get product all aver the place. So now I have a white residue all over the window trim, box rails and one door handle. I used Poor Boys ssr1, pp, exp and Natty's white. How the hell do I clean the mess off of everything ? I did a really nice job on the paint though..............Anyway if anyone can help please help.
I have tried Armorall cleaner and mothers back to black.

Please Help

Old 06-23-2008, 11:52 PM
You have what all over the window trim, box rails and door handles? Wax? If it's wax it should just rub clean with a dry cloth and Windex!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Suspended
Pencil Eraser is my weapon of choice when this happens. Peanut butter also works to remove it. Just remember from now on to tape everything off with a good tape like 3M's Blue Painters Tape.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Pencil Eraser is my weapon of choice when this happens. Peanut butter also works to remove it. Just remember from now on to tape everything off with a good tape like 3M's Blue Painters Tape.
Pencil eraser? hmmm trying that tomorrow! Theres a couple wax spots on my trim i just never got around to removing.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Does tape necessarily have to be 3m or will the cheap big lots stuff work. It isn't like you are putting it on painted walls or anything, it is that cheap annoying plastic on our trucks. It should do its job and just prevent plastic and wax contact right?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
Does tape necessarily have to be 3m or will the cheap big lots stuff work. It isn't like you are putting it on painted walls or anything, it is that cheap annoying plastic on our trucks. It should do its job and just prevent plastic and wax contact right?
When using that cheap stuff you will be defeating the purpose of not getting anything on your plastic, and, weather stripping.

The 3M BLUE will not leave a sticky film, and, will come off easily. When some of us perform a detailing on our vehicles, we mask it off in the morning, and, sometimes that tape will be on there all day. Leave that big lots crap on there all day and take note of the swear words that come out of your mouth.

It is all I will use (3M BLUE) when it comes to tape touching any surface of my truck, or any vehicle I am masking.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:57 AM
Suspended
While on the subject, anyone know a place to order 3m Painter's tape in bulk CHEAP? That stuff is expensive!

Trending Topics

Old 06-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Lumadar
While on the subject, anyone know a place to order 3m Painter's tape in bulk CHEAP? That stuff is expensive!
That'd be great or even if we could get a group buy of a lot of it. Unfortunately you're paying for 3M's name as well as the product.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM
what about the 3M purple or green painters tape??

i have all three colors at home (for some reason??) and wondered if they all go on and off about the same....

Old 06-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Suspended
I'd stick with the "Blue" stuff. Blue is a multi surface, all purpose tape. The Green is a high adhesive. I've never seen the purple stuff though. Are you sure it's 3M? I know Shurtape makes some that is purple. I'm pretty sure it's their equivalent to the 3M Blue Painter's Tape.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
I believe the purple is about the same as the blue, but it's safe for 14 days on paint or something... I'll have to check tonight.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by tech-doc
When using that cheap stuff you will be defeating the purpose of not getting anything on your plastic, and, weather stripping.

The 3M BLUE will not leave a sticky film, and, will come off easily. When some of us perform a detailing on our vehicles, we mask it off in the morning, and, sometimes that tape will be on there all day. Leave that big lots crap on there all day and take note of the swear words that come out of your mouth.

It is all I will use (3M BLUE) when it comes to tape touching any surface of my truck, or any vehicle I am masking.
you can leave that tape on over night and all the next day, great product and the eraser works

Old 06-24-2008, 04:44 PM
thanks I'll try the pencil eraser. The substance is white that I have all over the place, so it could be PP, EXP or Nattys. Pretty sure it's not Nattys. I'll get back with the results.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my guess would be probably one of the liquid products that were "slung" on to it. I have never used the nattys wax so I do not know about that.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I have used the purple, blue, and green tape with no problems.

Quick Reply: Cleaning after cleaning