Egads! Anyone in SoCal that knows how to use a ROTARY?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Egads! Anyone in SoCal that knows how to use a ROTARY?

I am signed up for the Meguiar's lottery for their advanced class, but that isn't until the end of August, and I may not even get in. I REALLY need to learn to use a rotary to speed up my detailing, these 12-15 hours jobs are just ridiculous.

Is there anyone who is confident enough in the rotary to help a fellow Ford lover out?!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Lumadar
I am signed up for the Meguiar's lottery for their advanced class, but that isn't until the end of August, and I may not even get in. I REALLY need to learn to use a rotary to speed up my detailing, these 12-15 hours jobs are just ridiculous.

Is there anyone who is confident enough in the rotary to help a fellow Ford lover out?!
Same thing ive told Don and a few other people. Pick up a rotary if you havent already. I recommend the makita 9227, go to a local junk yard. Get a hood or tailgate, preferably a hood. and practice. practice. practice. after about practicing an hour a day for about 3 or 4 days, you should be ready to use it on a vehicle. start slow. use about 600 rpm and gradually work it up faster. the optimal peak is around 1500-1700 rpm. ideally you would want to work the product in at 600 rpm and after a few times passing over the spot, bump up the rpm gradually until you hit the peak, which should take 6 or 7 passes over the spot, then use the peak rpm for 2 or 3 passes, this is where the product should be fully broken down, then back the rpm back down until you reach about 700, then stop it. if you have any more specific questions feel free to pm me. sorry for the long post.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:24 PM
It definitely would be good to buy a practice panel but why don't you go down to the meguiars open garage on thursday nights. I am sure Mike Phillips or any of the other guys down there would be delighted to show you how to use the rotary. I was there 2 weeks ago and they were using a rotary on a bmw for some deep swirls.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Suspended
Follow Gators advice and you'll be on your way. Practice, practice. I've been using my Makita for about 6 months but I'm still VERY leary and not so confident. I haven't touched my paint with it, only a boat and a spare panel that I picked up from a junk yard.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Follow Gators advice and you'll be on your way. Practice, practice. I've been using my Makita for about 6 months but I'm still VERY leary and not so confident. I haven't touched my paint with it, only a boat and a spare panel that I picked up from a junk yard.
If you have a Makita, why would you want a Flex?

Old 06-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by hwm3
If you have a Makita, why would you want a Flex?
I just told you I'm still not confident using the rotary, silly.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:59 PM
I just told you I'm still not confident using the rotary, silly.
6 months and your still not confident? Honestly Thump, I'm beginning to wonder if you actually USE the stuff you recommend, or just repeat what you see others say about stuff.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 AM
Old 06-29-2008, 12:34 AM
Suspended
Jp, I've got you on ignore so I can't see what you have to say anyway. I hope it's something good.

Originally Posted by hwm3
6 months and your still not confident? Honestly Thump, I'm beginning to wonder if you actually USE the stuff you recommend, or just repeat what you see others say about stuff.
Wonder all you want, not really my problem.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Wonder all you want, not really my problem.
Unfortunately, it's everyone that reads your posts problem. Do us all a BIG favor and only comment about the things that YOU actually have first-hand knowledge of. It's fairly obvious to those that have been around a while that you are just regurgitating other peoples posts.

PS. You don't have to post in EVERY thread in this section.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:51 AM
Jp, I've got you on ignore so I can't see what you have to say anyway.
Oh, that's a shame, I hate for you to miss one of my posts. With me on your ignore list that makes one less resource for you to re-quote later.

Or you could just reply with your normal "I agree" That one just screams credibility.

Golly gosh darn....Hwm3 beat me to the punch.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:53 AM
Suspended
Well than don't read my posts if you don't like them. It's simple as that. I'm not going to stop posting. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest of "yes" and "no", "this" and "that" either. Anyways, a lot of people have taken my advice and appreciate the input. So finally, if you don't like it, put me on ignore like I did JP. Simple as that !! In the meantime, goodnight.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:22 AM
Well than don't read my posts if you don't like them. It's simple as that. I'm not going to stop posting. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest of "yes" and "no", "this" and "that" either. Anyways, a lot of people have taken my advice and appreciate the input. So finally, if you don't like it, put me on ignore like I did JP. Simple as that !! In the meantime, goodnight.
That's the problem Thump, it's not YOUR advice unless it comes from your own personal experience, which at least half your posts obviously do not. You have spent quite a bit of money on products, so just get out there, use them, and develop your own opinion based on YOUR experience.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Suspended
boy i sure missed out on some excitement. everyone just hush hush. lumadar had his questioned answered, so that should be the end of it.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:46 AM
Suspended
Lol...I got out for one night and come home to this!?

Thanks for the advice guys, I will try and pick up something to practice on ASAP.

As for the "thursday nights" I guess I could do that, but it is a good 1.5+ hour drive to get there, and I don't like the idea of working on my paint with a rotary without being able to wash it there...which they won't let you do. They just wipe it done with QD.

Call me crazy, but that scares the crap out of me. I am OCD when it comes to touching the paint

Quick Reply: Egads! Anyone in SoCal that knows how to use a ROTARY?