VW Jetta paint correction

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Jetta paint correction

Hey everybody,

I appreciate the advice that everybody has given me in the past. Although I am inexperienced I am much more knowledgeable relatively speaking since I joined.

I bought a black 1995 Volkswagen Jetta today for a daily driver to and from school/work. The F-150 is too expensive to drive every day but I am keeping it to pull my race car trailer and haul stuff every once in a while. I am only sixteen.

The car, overall, for what it is and what I paid for it is in fairly good shape. The paint is pretty dull and chalky but I feel that I can bring it back to life. However, there are small rust spots here and there but I will have to live with them until I get it repainted.

My good friend also bought a 1998 Volkswagen Golf, also black. He doesn't know a whole lot about cars but would like it detailed and the paint brought back to life a little as well.

I am limited mostly to stuff from Wal Mart and Canadian Tire (Megs consumer line, etc.) but I would like to make an order with Poorboys for some Black Hole and good MF's. Anything else you would recommend while I'm there?

My current plan for both vehicles is as follows:

-Wash with Dawn
-Simple green and wash tires, engine, wheel wells etc.
-Wash with Megs Gold Class
-Mothers clay bar kit
-Wash with Megs Gold Class
-I need a good mild polish that will take care of most things and that can be applied and removed by hand. I'm not looking for a show car shine
-PoorBoys Black Hole
-Any sealants or anything else here I should be using?
-Megs NXT 2.0
-Megs Gold Class

I will also be wet sanding and polishing the headlights, wheels, etc. but as far as paint correction and protection this is what I have so far. Absolutely any additions, corrections, suggestions etc. would be appreciated.

All I have out of the above right now is the Megs Gold Class wax, and the wash plus some DECENT MF's. So if for example the PoorBoys clay is better value, I will get that instead. However I would like to make one order with PoorBoys with the $115 I have in my PayPal for stuff I can't get locally.

Thanks again.

EDIT: I have noticed there has been some tension in this section lately. This sucks, because this used to be one of the better sections on F-150 Online. I respect that everybody has their own opinion and is entitled to express them, but all I see is a lot of people jumping to conclusions about ThumperMX's knowledge and experience saying he has never used products he recommends, etc. when in reality they have no way of knowing that. It doesn't make sense to me...I am going to stay out of it but I just wanted to say that I appreciate advice from anybody and everybody willing to take the time to give it to me (including thumper )

Last edited by F-150_Octane; 06-29-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I hope those VW's don't suck your wallet dry with repairs. I have always likes some of the VW product, but watched friends suffer with the constant repairs. They do look sharp when they are clean.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 AM
Suspended
man this is a loaded question. first off, why use the dawn wash? im guessing theres no previous wax you're removing, so use the gold class instead. there really isnt much difference in clay bars, but my personal preference is clay magic. use the megs 3 step cleaner/polisher/waxer dc system. 2.0 is the sealant, let it cure then follow up with #26, it can be bought locally. you're doing all this by hand so get some applicators. get two buckets and a grit guard. get a quality wash mit and some decent mf's. megs supreme shine are local, get some. get some interior cleaner, whether he has leather or cloth. get a good carpet cleaner. get some brushes to agitate carpets and tires. post more about the cars so we can give better knowledge, pics are a plus

Old 06-30-2008, 08:58 AM
I agree with gators241987 , don't use Dawn dish soap. Dawn is actually so powerful it will remove a lot more then dirt from your vehicle. Like he said use Gold Class or some other wash with PH1 or something along the lines of it!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:21 AM
I was going to do Dawn to remove any other wax that *might* be there. Probably not needed, but that's just the way I am. I'll skip that step then, thanks.

There will definitely be before and after pictures when I pick it up on the 15th.

Last edited by F-150_Octane; 06-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Okay, I want to order some PoorBoys SSR.

Obviously #3 is probably what I need given the condition of the paint. Would I need to follow that up with #2 and/or #1?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:55 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you are going to use the OTC Megs 3 step system and NXT 2.0, step #3 goes *after* NXT and it's definitely recommended on black, and depending on what it looks like after step #1, you may not need step #2. You may need some ScratchX.

Don't assume that you will *need* SSR3 - you always try to use the least aggressive stuff.

Quick Reply: VW Jetta paint correction