HD 1:1 VS HD 4:1 mini review ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 06:12 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Are you guys using an applicator to apply the tire shine? I spray the Hyperdressing onto my applicator and than spread it on the sides and than bottom/top. I keep spreading it and evening and smoothing it out until there is no "standing" dressing sitting on the tire. Using an applicator makes things much easier. As well as you reduce the risk of getting Hyperdressing or any tire shine for that matter onto your wheel.
I don't use an applicator. I load it up and let it dry. I don't mind coming back to the wheels with QD only because I like to hit the wheels with something anyway just to get any left over water spots from the wash. Same thing for the wheel wells. For any plastics like my running boards, bumper and mirrors, I either spray a bit on lightly and wipe or I'll spray on an MF and wipe down, or both just to make sure everything gets good coverage.

However, I am still very new to Hyperdressing as I am on my first gallon jug yet and have only gone through maybe 4 spray bottles of it (which doesn't take long if you apply like I do.) I will say that I was disapointed at first because of how thin and runny it is but after seeing how long it holds its look and stays clean, it's hard to beat. Then I figured out how to get the results I want and haven't looked back yet.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Suspended
Hyperdressing is definitely a different kind of product that people aren't used to, especially since it's a water based dressing. It's not for people who want a tire shine that makes your tires look like they just rolled through the back of Burger King and through a puddle of cooking oil.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I spray the tire down then use an applicator to spread it around.

I really need to make some wheel guards.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Hyperdressing is definitely a different kind of product that people aren't used to, especially since it's a water based dressing. It's not for people who want a tire shine that makes your tires look like they just rolled through the back of Burger King and through a puddle of cooking oil.

Most dressings on the market are water based these days. Water-based isn't a new concept at all...

Products like Hot Shine and a few others like that are solvent-based (acetone to the tune of about 22%, I believe) but, the whole water based idea is far from new...

In fact, the notion to have a water-dilutable dressing to dial-in to your desired level of shine isn't a new one either... Pro Products actually had one many many moons ago... it failed (as Pro makes a dressing for nearly every day of the week)... Meguiar's, fortunately, did it right and made a fantastic product.

As for application, my preferred method - as is the method of many others here - is to spray it on the tire (I'm a 1:1 guy on tires), allow it to dry, then even up the look utilizing an Eagle One Tire Swipe (I bought detailcity's stock a couple of years ago when they were closing them out and still have about 40 packages of them left - ). They are one of my favorite, inexpensive tools to really make a difference in the overall appearance of a client vehicle... such a simple concept.

For wheel wells, while I will use a 4:1 on occasion, I prefer to let nearly every dressing that I didnt' care that much for go to die there. In short, Eagle One puts in a free tiny bottle of WET in with those Tire Swipes that I mentioned -- guess what's going in my wheel wells?

-RP-

Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 PM
esf
Originally Posted by RockPick
As for application, my preferred method - as is the method of many others here - is to spray it on the tire (I'm a 1:1 guy on tires), allow it to dry, then even up the look utilizing an Eagle One Tire Swipe
I love how the most simple methods are the easiest to overlook. I never though of doing that and it makes perfect sense. I let it dry completely like I said and it looks great. Almost completely even which surprises me but I think that little extra step will make it that much more perfect.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Suspended
Most dressings on the market are water based these days. Water-based isn't a new concept at all...

Products like Hot Shine and a few others like that are solvent-based (acetone to the tune of about 22%, I believe) but, the whole water based idea is far from new...

In fact, the notion to have a water-dilutable dressing to dial-in to your desired level of shine isn't a new one either... Pro Products actually had one many many moons ago... it failed (as Pro makes a dressing for nearly every day of the week)... Meguiar's, fortunately, did it right and made a fantastic product.
I wasn't saying it was new. I was saying it was different compared to what "most" people are used to. We are not "most" people. Most people are used the stuff at Autozone that is thicker than cooking oil. That's all I was saying ...

Old 07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The key spots to pay attention to - after drying - are the obvious; that being letters and grooves in tires that extend on to the side wall.

I'll pay extra attention to those areas and attempt to 'soak up' some of the extra that may reside in there.

Also, as a tidbit of advice, I love using the paper 'shop towel' type of towel in between each tire. This keeps the swipe cleaner which allows for white lettered tires to stay brighter with more pop when you run the swipe over them. This technique is ultra simple -- just take the shop towel and push the foam part of the swipe (the part that is doing the chemical spreading/evening) and 'pump it' on the towel. This will remove the excess that the foam will inevitably soak up...

-RP-

Old 07-05-2008, 10:53 AM
The key spots to pay attention to - after drying - are the obvious; that being letters and grooves in tires that extend on to the side wall.

I'll pay extra attention to those areas and attempt to 'soak up' some of the extra that may reside in there.

Also, as a tidbit of advice, I love using the paper 'shop towel' type of towel in between each tire. This keeps the swipe cleaner which allows for white lettered tires to stay brighter with more pop when you run the swipe over them. This technique is ultra simple -- just take the shop towel and push the foam part of the swipe (the part that is doing the chemical spreading/evening) and 'pump it' on the towel. This will remove the excess that the foam will inevitably soak up...

-RP-

Good tip. I will use it. Thanks for chiming in.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
As for application, my preferred method - as is the method of many others here - is to spray it on the tire (I'm a 1:1 guy on tires), allow it to dry, then even up the look utilizing an Eagle One Tire Swipe (I bought detailcity's stock a couple of years ago when they were closing them out and still have about 40 packages of them left - ). They are one of my favorite, inexpensive tools to really make a difference in the overall appearance of a client vehicle... such a simple concept.
-RP-
I use the same applicators, love having them around and they work fantasic.

For those that use a 4:1 ratio it's fill with water to the 4:1 line then add hyperdressing to the bottle neck correct?

I always do the 1:1 ratio, but if I can get more mileage out of the 4:1 ratio with practically the same results then I might want to give it a try.

Quick Reply: HD 1:1 VS HD 4:1 mini review ?