Review: 8 Carnuba Waxes ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:26 PM
Suspended
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review: 8 Carnuba Waxes ...

Well guys, I told you I'd give you my opinion about these waxes. I'm going to start out by saying that this only my opinion and it's only my opinion about the application, removal, appearance of these waxes. I cannot say how durable they will be as only time will tell. However, I am planning on taking pictures of them every week from today after a wash as well as how they are beading up. Water beading isn't a sign of durability, but it's nice to have, IMO. I will make mention of their durability according to my past experience with some of these waxes and other's opinion's. I will still post up every week and post my thoughts about each waxes durability. Anyways, onto the review ...

These are the waxes that were tested.
  1. Meguiars #16
  2. Meguiars #26
  3. Poorboy's Natty Red
  4. Poorboy's Natty Red
  5. Collinite#845
  6. Pinnacle Souverän™
  7. Chemical Guy's Pete's 53
  8. Chemical Guy's 5050

I'm going to review each wax. It's place on it's list is where I believe it is ranked among the other waxes in this little test. Prior to the application of these waxes, the surface was prepped. I washed the roof twice with Dawn. I than clayed with Dawn as a lubricant, followed by one pass of #80. I than taped the roof off and proceeded to apply the waxes.

1. Pinnacle Souverän™ - I'd say this is the best looking wax out of the bunch. It is also the most expensive so keep that in mind. Application is easy as well as removal. I noticed that it does give a different feel to the paint. It's odd and I can't put words on it. Durability is said to be not that good though. Souveran also beaded up the best.

2. Chemical Guy's Petes 53 & 5050 - These two waxes were very similar. Souveran only slightly edged them in the appearance department. Application and removal was easy, just like the Souveran. Once the two were applied and removed, it was impossible to tell the two apart. Both of them felt the same way and looked identical to me. These two waxes beaded very nicely, just not as tight as Souveran.

3. Meguiars #16 - #16 is a very popular wax, especially around here, as it should be. #16 looks amazing, just like nearly all of the waxes in this review, and it's durability is better than all of the waxes on this list except for #845. Application is tricky. Thin is the key with this wax, if you don't put it on thin, you'll hate yourself when it's time to remove. Trust me, go thin !!! Like always, the beading was awesome. The droplets seemed to be a little bit bigger than the previous three waxes.

4. Meguiars #26, PB Nattys Red, and PB Nattys Blue - Meguiars #26 looks almost identical to #16. #16 is a little deeper and wetter though. Both Nattys Red and Blue are nearly identical as is the application and removal. I'd say these three waxes are on que with each other in the appearance category. These three waxes were on par with the #16 as far as beading goes.

5. Collinite #845 - Last but not least. Just because it's last, doesn't mean it's not a good wax. It's got it's place to say the least. #845 is a very durable wax, the most durable on this list. It ranks last in the appearance category. Application is a little bit tricky because it's real "liquidy" compared to other liquid waxes. Removal is on par with #26 in my opinion. #845 beads but the beads are quite large and scattered since they roll together.

After the Dawn, Clay, #80, and 3M Blue Painter's Tape.

After the application and removal of said waxes.

After spraying water onto the roof to test the beading.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have WAAAY to much time on your hands my friend.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Could you please post close ups of each panel. Thanks.

This should be interesting.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ELVATO
Could you please post close ups of each panel. Thanks.
I actually tried to get some photos of a few of them up close. However, it didn't come out very good at all.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 PM
I thought about doing a test much like this on my hood... Only I was going to test the following (still may do it...) :

Nattys Blue
DC3
DuPont Teflon Wax
Tropi-Care Liquid Carnauba wax

THEN, on another panel or another time, test out sealants:
NXT
NXT 2.0
Mothers SynWax
EX-P
Tropi-Care Sealant xP

Yes... I have all of these... I know, I have no life (and because of it, no money, either...)

I am very interested to see how the close ups turn out pending you can make them work... They are tricky when paint is so darn clean... (but with water beading, it is easy...)

Oh! Just remembered: Take a piece of paper and place a corner of it in the shot-- this gives the camera something to focus on since paint is hard to focus on (reflections/depth illusion/etc) then snap away. Works like a champ.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:50 PM
esf
Interesting. Just this past weekend I tried #16 for the first time and I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped which I believe is slightly due to the hype that it receives here. I do like it though. And like everyone who has used it before, I had a problem removing it and I even went pretty thin. Apparently not thin enough. Anyway, another reason I don't think I was hugely impressed was because I had tried CG 5050 and I think it looked slightly better than #16. I'm interested to see how Pete's 53 holds up though because when I ordred my 5050 I was deciding between 5050 and 53. That being said, out of that list I still have the 3 Natty's here that I need to try out.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
WOW Thumper, great post! I'm sure this will help many others as it did for me. I've never seen one post that covered all those waxes and certainly not all at the same time. The effort you put into this is well appreciated!

Trending Topics

Old 07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Suspended
I still can't do too much with the close up pictures, sorry guys. I was going to pull the car out of the garage but there was no light and it was starting to sprinkle. Got to love Florida this time of year.

I forgot to mention earlier. I got to try out another new product. I've always been leary of QDs. I'm starting to use #34 after every wash now, it gives it a little extra shine. So with all of that said, I decided to try out Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. It's a waterless wash. Last night I washed my car and decided to put a coat of Souveran on it. Well, of course it got a little dusty today as I was driving. I decided to try it out tonight. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this product. I really wasn't expecting it to work as good as it does. I thought it'd be streaky but it's not the case at all. I used a Pak Shak UltraPlush towel and it worked amazing. I highly recommend it for someone looking for a waterless wash. I have not tried ONR but I hear good praises about it. I'm also going to be trying that once my wallet stops crying from these latest purchases.

Originally Posted by esf
Interesting. Just this past weekend I tried #16 for the first time and I wasn't as impressed as I had hoped which I believe is slightly due to the hype that it receives here. I do like it though. And like everyone who has used it before, I had a problem removing it and I even went pretty thin. Apparently not thin enough. Anyway, another reason I don't think I was hugely impressed was because I had tried CG 5050 and I think it looked slightly better than #16. I'm interested to see how Pete's 53 holds up though because when I ordred my 5050 I was deciding between 5050 and 53. That being said, out of that list I still have the 3 Natty's here that I need to try out.
I really, really like both Chemical Guys 5050 and Pete's 53. Both waxes are great, pretty close to the quality of the Souveran. I'm hoping that they'll have a better durability and I compromise and use them routinely on my car. I really can't tell a difference between the two to be honest with you. I, like you, couldn't decide which one to buy. I decided to try them both out and do this test. So, don't worry about it. The 5050 is a great wax !!

Originally Posted by tcope
WOW Thumper, great post! I'm sure this will help many others as it did for me. I've never seen one post that covered all those waxes and certainly not all at the same time. The effort you put into this is well appreciated!
Thanks, that really makes it worth it !!

Last edited by ThumperMX113; 07-01-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:54 PM
In my opinion, which has nothing to do at all with experience, I would honestly and opinionatedly say that I really like your test. Once again thats just an opinion. Thanks thump for your opinionated test.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:00 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by cufootn
In my opinion, which has nothing to do at all with experience, I would honestly and opinionatedly say that I really like your test. Once again thats just an opinion. Thanks thump for your opinionated test.
I thought you'd like that !!

Old 07-01-2008, 11:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this is all just your opinion right? Sorry... i had to say it.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
I am leaving for St. Maartin on sunday and when I get back I'll do an opinionated test of my own using #80, SSR's and menzerna SIP.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Thumper! It's not up to you how good a wax is omg you think you know it all because you have 15K+ post and your the Detailing master of the site jeeze thumper its all opinions urs dosnt matter over anyone elses any more than anyone elses opinionated opinions of this opiniionated post.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by guitarman502
this is all just your opinion right? Sorry... i had to say it.
I figured I'd get it out of the way before I got jumped by the "posse" ...

Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 AM
You know the hardest part of doing tests like these? I cant stand waiting to re-wax. I wax a LOT... Mostly because I like it (like RP, it is therapy for me...)... I cant see myself waiting more than a month or 2 to rewax...

Quick Reply: Review: 8 Carnuba Waxes ...