Faded Convertible Rear Window Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faded Convertible Rear Window Help

Ok so my next door neighbor has a BMW Z4 that is a convertible. The rear window on it is pretty faded and definitely not able to be seen through while driving. He is wondering if I could clear it up for him. I figure that I would be able to do it with a little help from Plast X. So here is what I am wondering. Will Plast X alone with a little bit of elbow grease be able to clear this window up or am I going to have to wet sand it because I don't even know if you can do that with these windows. I have the ADS headlight restore kit that has the wet sanding in it, but I am kinda scared to try that because I don't want to mess up his window.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-16-2008, 01:08 PM
In my limited experience nothing will help short of replacing the plastic. The entire thickness of the plastic has yellowed, which is the natural process of it drying out.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
http://64.225.94.154/ShopSite/page6.html

Window / Headlight Cleaning Kit
$29.95
Here are the products BMW recommends, in service bulletin 540500, you use to maintain the clarity of your rear window. Click on the title to see a before and after picture.

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Detailer #18

A single-step solution that keeps clear plastic surfaces pristine. Regain the original crystalline clarity of plastic in need of restoration, using this convenient all-in-one product specially formulated by Meguiar’s. Simply spray it on and wipe it dry. You will safely remove surface contamination and achieve dramatic results on everything from window panels to instrument lenses - 8 oz.

Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Cleaner #17

Safely removes hairline scratches, dirt and grime. Clear plastic that has lost its clarity due to significant contamination and fine scratches should be treated using the two-step process. Meguiar’s non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner aggressively cleans and removes scratches without harming the surface. Follow up with the #10 Plastic Polish for a perfect finish - 8 oz.

Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic Polish #10

The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar’s Plastic Polish provides the second step in the two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with #17 Plastic Cleaner. You will restore the natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt - 8 oz.

Great for headlight lenses!

All three products Price $29.95

Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Huh... odd that the picture they use to show a brand new window vs the old window are the exact _same_ pictures they claim are for a window that they used their cleaner on. Personally, makes everything they state suspect.

Other sites seem to be a little more accurate in that the BMW TSB recommends the products to _"maintain"_ the window... not make an old clouded window look like new.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Once again this is what I do for a living and my advice is go ahead and try everthing on cause you're going to have to replace the top anyway and what the heck, something might be able to help But remember to havethem sign a waiver so you don't have to pay to replace it. About $1500 installed.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by stich
Once again this is what I do for a living and my advice is go ahead and try everthing on cause you're going to have to replace the top anyway and what the heck, something might be able to help But remember to havethem sign a waiver so you don't have to pay to replace it. About $1500 installed.
I don't think I will try to wet sand it, but I will try to use Plast X. I really don't want to mess up their window, so my question to you guys is
1. Do you think Plast X will work
2. Can Plast X ruin the window?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:14 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
1. No.
2. Yes.

However, you should research that BMW service bulletin and see if that company is blowing smoke. If those 3 products are in fact recommended by BMW, spend the 30 bucks.

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by glc
1. No.
2. Yes.

However, you should research that BMW service bulletin and see if that company is blowing smoke. If those 3 products are in fact recommended by BMW, spend the 30 bucks.
alrighty thanks!

Quick Reply: Faded Convertible Rear Window Help