DA help....

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DA help....

Hey guys, been reading over all the posts i could about DAs as ive been considering getting one, but still have a few questions.... one, does anyone know of a good guide about how to use, etc, and everything about them. second, i know that autogeeks has a few kits that comes with extra pads and other stuff, but what all else would you recommend for a beginer?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Old 07-22-2008, 05:23 PM
I have seen some good videos on YouTube using a DA. Here is one:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=89323lmQ2LI

Here is a video comparing a PC7424 with Flex DA:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Yht1uHJLNlQ&feature=related

You can also get a DVD to show how to use. You can get a good kit to start with from autodetailingsolutions.com (ADS) and here is a link to the kits:
http://autodetailingsolutions.com/me...0-polisher.htm

Kit#2 is a nice start and Rick at ADS is great to deal with. ADS also has the Flex and a good DVD showing how to use the DA.

Read the detailing sticky too!

Kevin

Old 07-22-2008, 06:24 PM
For just starting out I would say:
4 polishing pads, 3 finishing pads.
Lots of microfiber towels
clay bar
cleaner polish(es)
glaze
synthetic wax/ sealant
carnauba wax

Choosing those is really an opinion type thing.. Just try to stick with the products you pick, and get used to how each one works.
Technique is more important than product, remember that.

Also, I honestly recommend the Meguiars pads over the LC pads. A lot of folks think the LC pads are a little better, but I think its much easier to pick between 2 pads (can't use cutting pad with a DA) than 5 or 6.
That's all up to you though.. Good luck!

One more thing- The key to using the DA is PATIENCE!!!! It's a great little machine and can accomplish many things, but it won't do it overnight. Don't get frustrated if you aren't getting the results you want at first. Take a break, try to figure out the problem, and give it another go.

Last edited by MOford21; 07-22-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by MOford21
One more thing- The key to using the DA is PATIENCE!!!! It's a great little machine and can accomplish many things, but it won't do it overnight. Don't get frustrated if you aren't getting the results you want at first. Take a break, try to figure out the problem, and give it another go.
This is very true. I've only had mine for a little over 6 months and each time I use it the results take a step forward. I can get the results from a single step cleaner/wax with the da now than I could in the past using a ton of time and a 3 step process and the 3 step with da just keeps blowing me away.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM
this might sound like a stupid question, but are DAs used to remove wax etc, or can you only put on with it then remove by hand?

Old 07-23-2008, 12:11 PM
athill, you can remove product with the DA and a bonnet, however it's not really advised.
One problem with removing product with a bonnet is that the bonnet can become loaded up quickly and you won't be able to remove product as cleanly as you can with just a towel by hand. The other drawback with using bonnets is that if you pick up a stray particle (sand, dirt, etc) then it is going to be moved across your paint much more than if you were doing it by hand, and possibly cause some ugly swirling or marring. With a towel you can flip it, fold it, etc to prevent that from happening.

Quick Reply: DA help....