Detail Steps Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Detail Steps Help Please

My 04 is going on 4 years old this year. It has never seen anything but the basic wash and wax every now and then. My truck has very severe swirls. I recently bought the smooth surface clay kit to get the swirls removed but i have read that i need polish too. So as of now i have gold class wash, clay, gold class wax. What type of polish should i look into? Do i need anything to apply it? Are these four steps enough to get good results from just the swirls in the paint? Also all of this will be done by hand.

1.Gold class wash
2.Smooth Surface Clay Kit
3.Polish????
4.Gold Class Wax

Old 08-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use Megs deep crystal polish, but I do it by hand and don't have a DA. Get a DA and you can get some better stuff. Thumper will chime in soon.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:55 PM
I'm not Thumper, but i'll chime in.

You will probably get better results using the Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner than the polish. I really really like the polish, but it is a pure polish with no abrasives so it won't remove any swirl marks. I've mentioned it a few times before, but if you want a great overall "by hand" detail, use the Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, Followed by Deep Crystal Polish, followed by Gold Class.

If there aren't any swirls in the paint, or if they are so minor you just don't want to fool with them, then you can use the Deep Crystal Polish and top it off with your gold class.

I used the Deep Crystal Polish then topped of with NXT 2.0 on this jeep.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by daculatruck50
My 04 is going on 4 years old this year. It has never seen anything but the basic wash and wax every now and then. My truck has very severe swirls. I recently bought the smooth surface clay kit to get the swirls removed but i have read that i need polish too. So as of now i have gold class wash, clay, gold class wax. What type of polish should i look into? Do i need anything to apply it? Are these four steps enough to get good results from just the swirls in the paint? Also all of this will be done by hand.

1.Gold class wash
2.Smooth Surface Clay Kit
3.Polish????
4.Gold Class Wax
I'd like to point out that clay does not remove swirls. That is a common misconception. Clay removes particles such as very fine dirt debris and oversprayed paint from the clear coat, but never swirls.

The Meguiar's Step 2 Paint Polish will work. I've used it on my fiancee's vehicle in conjunction with Step 1 Paint Cleaner (I'd recommend using this prior to Step 2), also by hand, for some ok results. The reason I say "ok results" is due to the fact that by hand you're correcting/hiding only a portion of the swirls you could using a PC. I hate to break it to you but by hand you are most likely not going to get rid of all the swirls...

Applying the Step 1 & 2 is very easy. Read the directions on the bottles and use product applicators as directed.

I've used the Gold Class Wax a while back and currently use NXT 2.0. If you have a few extra dollars try the NXT out, I like it better than the Gold Class and you might too. But that's just my opinion!

PS - Read the sticky in the forum as it's full of valuable information!!

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Val3ntin0
PS - Read the sticky in the forum as it's full of valuable information!!
I would print that sticky out and keep it handy......its where everybody should start off.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you guys suggest the DA buffer over hand for better results? I dont have one and didn't want to invest into one but if its worth it, I'll probably do so.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Yes, DA over hand for best results.

Trending Topics

Old 08-05-2008, 04:15 PM
The results are better and worth the investment. Especially if you plan on detailing your truck on a regular basis.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 PM
The results are going to be better, and a lot quicker and a whole lot easier on you.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:35 AM
I have some pretty serious swirls so i'm guessing i need to do this-
1. Gold Class Wash
2. Clay
3. Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
4. Deep Crystal Paint Polish
5. Gold Class Wax

I'm not to crazy haveing my paint perfect i just need it to look better than it does right now. In direct sunlight my truck looks like it has 20 year of siwrls. It really looks like i take it to the drive through car wash. If i can get rid of most of them i will be happy but if i dont like the results i will look into a DA but i dont want to ruin my paint with one of those cause i'm not experianced at all.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
First thing first. Upload some pics of your swirls. This way the pros can see how bad your have it and recommend something. Im no pro by all means but I've noticed that different products off different levels of swirl removal (did I say that correctly)

Example

Wash
Dry
Clay

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner (or something else could probably go here depending on your level of swirls, I would take it)

Then some type of wax but I'm pretty sure most would recommend NXT 2.0 for now.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
honestly, for $7, I don't think you can go wrong with the paint cleaner. It isn't going to produce the results that a DA will (obviously) but, it could get you to a level you are willing to live with. That is something i've had to come to realize with detailing cars for money, to only give the customer what they want. I'd love to polish every vehicle that comes to me, but if they are only willing to pay for a wash, that's what i'll give them.

Your steps are correct in the way you apply them. Remember, on the Paint Cleaner and polish you do NOT let them dry like you would wax, you take a 1ftx1ft area and work it, then wipe off then move on. The Paint Cleaner is something I use very frequently on like my parents vehicles and friend's vehicles (the ones that don't pay, just do it cause I owe them), cause it produces a great result for cheap and not much effort.

And remember, Clean applicators for each product and PLENTY of microfibers.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:12 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
An excellent alternative to the cleaner is ColorX. You can go right from that to a LSP (NXT 2.0 or a carnauba).

Old 08-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Val3ntin0
I'd like to point out that clay does not remove swirls.
Not only that, but if used incorrectly, the clay/claying process can "add" swirls.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by daculatruck50
I'm not to crazy haveing my paint perfect i just need it to look better than it does right now. In direct sunlight my truck looks like it has 20 year of siwrls.
If you truck is as bad as you say, you are probably looking at a task that is too much to accomplish by hand. You might be able to accomplish some correction by hand, but usually on a finish that is as neglected as you say yours is, correction by hand is difficult at best.

My suggestion would be to take one of two paths.

1. Acquire the materials necessary to correct the paint yourself. This is well within the ability of most people, with the proper equipment. This will probably result in a couple hundred dollar initial investment, and turn into an addiction.

2. Take your truck to a pro and allow them to do the major correction. then learn the processes you need to keep it looking like that.

You need to identify what you are doing to the truck to cause all the swirling, which is most often prro washing and drying technique.

Quick Reply: Detail Steps Help Please