Wax Applicator Pad

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax Applicator Pad

Where can I go besides online to buy a good foam pad to wax by hand? Can I just buy them any where or is quality a factor here like everything else? I have one Mguires foam pad and I am going to polish and wax so I think I should have more than one. I have taken the time to acquire quality supplies and don't want to make a mistake here introducing swirl marks in the paint.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Okay... you're getting ready to get some opinion here but, hear me out... maybe you'll concur with what I toss out there...

One, you're EXACTLY correct in having the desire to dedicate a few applicator pads to your project. An applicator per product is actually a VERY good idea so as different products do different things.

For example, if you utilize an abrasive polish for paint correction, it's probably a very safe bet that you wouldn't want to utilize that same pad for your last step product (LSP) application as you could potentially introduce some problems (as you've already suggested).

With regards to hand application, there are a few different types of products. One, that you've already mentioned, is foam. The foam pad is a very versatile type of pad that, in my opinion, can be used from start to finish for each one of the steps (with a dedicated one per product, of course). Better yet though, I prefer to do paint correction (when doing it by hand) with a terry applicator as it tends to have a bit more cut than the foam pad by hand.

So, to that point, if I was trying to correct paint that was lightly swirled, I'd probably go to a terry-applicator. My personal favorite applicator was discontinued but, it's pretty difficult to go wrong with just about anything out there. Naturally, inspect it to ensure that it hasn't bounced off of the floor and is dirty but, it should be pretty good to go out of the package.

The next step -- be it a pure polish for 'pop' or a sealant or other LSP -- I'll typically go to a very high quality microfiber applicator or a Meg's foam applicator. To me, these seem a tad less abrasive and, in my opinion again, are a bit less likely to introduce any problems back to the paint that you've already corrected.

All of that said, you could still have some problems because, inherently, when you touch the paint (be it with an applicator, MF towel, dead grasshopper legs (yeah, I play with them frequently), you can induce a problem. It's just the nature of clearcoated paint.

Does that help just a tad?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rockpick that does help. As usual you have provided a lot of good information.

Quick Reply: Wax Applicator Pad