Hand Application

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hand Application

Alrighty, I live in an apartment complex, and dont readily have access to outlets or extension cords to be able to use a DA and etc, so all of my detailing endeavors must be accomplished by hand. Long story short, I dont have the detailing OCD bug yet, but I still want to make sure I'm doing things the right way..

I generally take my truck to the local washers once a week to pressure wash (soap, rinse, wax, rinse, spot-free) but I want to take it step further and do a little handwashing and detailing. My truck is only a few months old so I dont have any obvious paint damage, just a few minor swirls.

My proposed quick cleaning regime would consist of:
wash (gold class)
clay (megs smooth surface)
liquid wax (gold class)

Now this obviously isn't a pro setup, but what could I throw into the equation as far as a polish or light swirl remover? I've read Deep Crystal Stage1 might be my best bet to help out, but what do you guys apply the stuff with? Mind you, it's all done by hand. I suppose it would be best to use the yellow applicator pads that came with the Gold Class Liquid Wax? What about removal though, do I need to remove the polish or wax, if so, what to use then? Just a high quality MF?

One last question, If I didn't feel like claying everytime, could I just Wash and then Wax, and will the Gold Class liquid wax be sufficient, or would the Cleaner Wax be better for simple Wash and Wax setups?

Old 10-08-2008, 10:48 PM
ok dude you should clay everytime you do a full detail.How do you know when to detail???? When the water does not bead. Usually takes about two to four months depending on the wax. Another test you could do is feel on the paint with your hand(after the truck has been cleaned). If it is not smooth, time to clay polish and wax. Now: I also do everything on my truck by hand. By hand you more than likely will not be able to remove all of the swirls.
I usually wash my truck with gold class, clay it, use some m81 hand polish on it (contains no abbrassives just pure shine)glaze it,then throw on a coat of Meguiar's number 16.

Some people also like to seal it after glazing it but then you would have to wait for it to cure....if you wish to put some wax on it. As for applying and removing the product i use a clean microfiber. When I apply the polish all of it does not come off but is removed during the waxing process.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:55 PM
also keep in mind that everytime you wash you do not need to wax and clay. You will first apply the wax in thin coats and then remove it.

Complete details should be performed when you believe your paint could look and feel better or when you think it's time to wax again. for example the water doesnt bead like before.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Megs NXT 2.0 has some light cleaning and filling ability and works real nice by hand. You can top it with carnauba for more "pop", I'd recommend #16 or #26.

Quick Reply: Hand Application