Degreasing tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Degreasing tires

So I was at work today and while outside scrubbing some oil spots with a gallon of industrial-strength degreaser, I noticed my tires had some dust on them mixed with brake dust. So I squired on some degreaser then took a hot water hose to them. I noticed the water running off the tires were DARK BROWN. Most of it was brake dust, but it even took the road grime off the treads too. Once she dried it my Michelin's were smooth as a baby's bottom and my rims were shinier than when I use chrome polish and I havent even wiped them. Sorry no pics, but just though I'd share. This seemed to be pretty labor-saving compared to getting on your hands and knees and scrubbing with car shamoo and a rag. Afterwards I squirted on some tire dressing and now I have super clean wheels with a dirty truck!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Whatever works - but I would be concerned about what it might do to your wheels and any paint that you might splatter it on.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess that means you'd have to clean your truck as well.

But, I'm thinking about using that method for cleaning my truck. Any suggestions on the brand of degreaser to use?

Old 10-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds good. I never feel comfortable at all using alot of chemical cleaners on my truck. It takes enough for me to Simple Green my tires.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
Once she dried it...

Are we talking about your sister again?

Old 10-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Rap, a lot of the brown thats coming off your tires that you perceive to be brake dust may be "blooming"

Here is a little info about blooming:

"The major factor degrading tires and other synthetic and rubber products is ozone, an odorless gas which is part of the air we breath. When combined with ultraviolet light (the invisible part of sunlight) a reaction occurs that attacks the tire polymer.

To protect against ozone and UV damage, a stabilizer molecule called a “competitive absorber” is blended with the tire polymer. Competitive absorbers work by capturing and absorbing UV radiation and converting it to heat which is dissipated harmlessly. All tire manufacturers use the same competitive absorber, carbon black. This is why all tires are black...why tires are not available in designer colors.

These absorbers are sacrificial; they expend themselves in performing their function of changing UV to heat. As carbon black loses it’s ability to perform, it turns gray. This is one reason why black tires discolor as they age.

To protect from further ozone damage, tire manufacturers add a wax compound to their formulas. Tires flex when they are in motion, causing the wax molecules to migrate to the surface. This forms a protective barrier between the air (ozone and oxygen) and the tire polymer. In the tire trade this is called “blooming”."

Old 10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Suspended
drove through live oak the other day. be careful with the degreaser. ive seen it mess up some rims. also takes paint off just as easily as it does crap on tires

Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
It can be brutal on aluminum. And I have seen it leave spotting on chrome rims.
But if you read enough of Rap's posts- he cares about his truck a lot, Im sure he was careful.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Les22
It can be brutal on aluminum. And I have seen it leave spotting on chrome rims.
But if you read enough of Rap's posts- he cares about his truck a lot, Im sure he was careful.
Ive read his post since jan 07. hence me saying be careful

Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
Come BigRed, give the kid a break. He's got a lot of enthusiasm and has learned a lot since 07. If you've been reading his posts since 07, but only have a post count of 42, why not do what you've been doing for almost two years now and keep yer yap shut

Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 AM
Tires, or tyres (in American and British English, respectively), are ring-shaped parts, either pneumatic or solid (including rubber, metals and plastic composites), that fit around wheels to protect them and enhance their function.
================================================== =======
Sam
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

Old 10-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by sam2008
Tires, or tyres (in American and British English, respectively), are ring-shaped parts, either pneumatic or solid (including rubber, metals and plastic composites), that fit around wheels to protect them and enhance their function.
================================================== =======
Sam
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com

Old 10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
It's been reported as spam.

Quick Reply: Degreasing tires