what to do before winter ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do before winter ?

So just as the economy goes for shi< I decide to buy a new truck. This brings me to a couple of questions.

On my current truck I used SSR1, PB PP, EXP and Natty's (Both trucks are white). The weather is turning to crap here so time is very limited. Should I try to do the same steps before winter or can I apply the Natty's and do the rest come spring ?

Megs Quick detailer. Can I or should I be using this while I dry my truck after a wash?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Since when is the economy **** in Edmonton? Just curious... I thought things were booming out west.

Sounds like you have a good handle on things. Clay the truck and apply a synthetic wax that will last through the winter, or as much of it as possible.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Synthetic ? Is the Natty's ? If not what else is good. Yah I guess it is still good out here, as long as guys like us still drive big trucks that use lots of fuel and the ground doesn't dry up. Where are you located ?
What do you know about the quick detailer?

Old 10-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jamieFF
Synthetic ? Is the Natty's ? If not what else is good. Yah I guess it is still good out here, as long as guys like us still drive big trucks that use lots of fuel and the ground doesn't dry up. Where are you located ?
Nattys is not "synthetic" the ex-p you mentioned is a "synthetic wax"

Old 10-18-2008, 07:20 AM
I say synthetic only because it usually lasts longer... I would be more concerned about protection over the winter than it looking perfect.

Yeah quick detailer is good to use after a wash, for water spots etc. Some guys even top a freshly applied coat of wax with it to make the paint deeper.

I'm in Hamilton.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by F-150_Octane
I say synthetic only because it usually lasts longer... I would be more concerned about protection over the winter than it looking perfect.

Yeah quick detailer is good to use after a wash, for water spots etc. Some guys even top a freshly applied coat of wax with it to make the paint deeper.

I'm in Hamilton.
Yes, i also, use a sealant before the winter because i think it holds up better to the beating that the winter months provide.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Suspended
id use the colinite 845.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:03 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
If you use a synthetic, the best QD to use after a wash is UQD, it supposedly helps boost the polymers.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
Nattys is not "synthetic" the ex-p you mentioned is a "synthetic wax"
EX-P is NOT a wax, it's a sealer.

It can be used as a LSP, for winter, try putting C845 over EX-P

Old 10-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
EX-P is NOT a wax, it's a sealer.

It can be used as a LSP, for winter, try putting C845 over EX-P
yes and what is a sealant a "synthetic wax" (very easy to understand this way)

Old 10-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by Pockets
yes and what is a sealant a "synthetic wax" (very easy to understand this way)

If Steve wanted to call EX-P a Syn Wax it would have been on the label but b/c its NOT a wax, he called it a Sealer. Interesting.

But hey, Tomato, Tamoto. Sealers are not waxes (More accurate to understand)

Last edited by RollingRock; 10-21-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So just as the economy goes for shi< I decide to buy a new truck. This brings me to a couple of questions.

On my current truck I used SSR1, PB PP, EXP and Natty's (Both trucks are white). The weather is turning to crap here so time is very limited. Should I try to do the same steps before winter or can I apply the Natty's and do the rest come spring ?

Megs Quick detailer. Can I or should I be using this while I dry my truck after a wash?

Thanks for the help.
Getting back to your original question, having lived in the salt capital of the northeast for all of my life, let me offer you my thoughts. First, get something on the vehicle while it’s still warm outside to protect it. Once it starts to get cold, unless you have a heated garage, you just won’t be able to do a very high quality job.

As for what to put on, for the winter I value protection over appearance. My personal favorites for durability are Zaino or Collonite 845 or 476S and they shine quite nicely too. Whatever you choose though, make sure you apply it to all surfaces. That includes door jambs, edges of your tailgate, under the hood, etc. I even run some WD-40 down into the bottom seam on my doors and tailgate. I’ve seen some people up here that believe in applying a wax, but not wiping it off for the winter. The belief here is that one gets more protection. Personally, I think all it gives you is one heck of a mess to try to remove in the spring.

Getting beyond paint and appearance, I also use WD-40 on all lock cylinders, lubricate all hinges and latches with White Lithium grease. I also apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to all rubber door seals. Don’t forget to apply WD-40 to your trailer plug if you have one too. (I even follow that up with purple battery terminal spray.)

If you’re really into getting ready for winter, you also might want to pull your wheels off and apply Never Sieze to the threads on the lugs. If you have aluminum wheels, some of us even apply some to the mating hub surface to prevent the wheel and hub from oxidizing together. And, for the truly ****, you can apply Dielectric Grease to all electrical connections such as light bulbs and weather tight connectors. Hope that helps!

Old 10-25-2008, 05:57 PM
I am at school right now, and dont have too much at my disposal. What I did was I cleaned the truck, and then I used some meguiars cleaner wax, and then put a top coat of Collinite 845 on all of the paint. For my chrome wheels, I used some Turtle Chrome Polish and then followed up with some Collinite 845 on them as well. Collinite is supposed to be one of, if not, the longest lasting wax. We will see I guess...

Old 10-25-2008, 09:01 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
845 is great on paint, but it won't hold up too well on the wheels - you are better off with a synthetic on them.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 PM
I will probably follow up with some poorboys wheel sealant just to be safe... But for now that is what is on em...

Quick Reply: what to do before winter ?