most effective scratch remover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Ok, finally (after how many posts) it's time to offer you some advice. Basically, if you used steel wool to remove the adhesive, you probably did a pretty decent number on your clear coat. Generally speaking, if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail, it's too deep to get out (safely) with most polishing / correction methods. With steel wool however, you probably induced thousands of smaller scratches instead of one big one that you might be able to feel with a fingernail. So, that test won't work here.

Although the pictures you posted help a bit, they still don't really show enough detail. One really has to look at the damage in person. Based on my experience though, I can pretty safely say that the only way that amount / type of damage is even possibly going to come out is a rotary buffer in trained hands. A PC, or even a Flex - will be hard pressed to take off that much material. Remember, at best you're right on the borderline of being able to correct the damage. You might actually be into re-paint territory already. Even if you do try to rub the damage out, your clear coat is going to be seriously compromised and will probably fail sometime down the road.

My recommendation? Don't try to fix that one yourself because you run too great of a risk of doing more damage. Then you'd be out that money, plus the repaint. I'd check with a couple of more body or detailing shops to get their opinions.

thanks,... ill just check out a few other places and see what they say, ive already took some turtle wax compounds to it with little to no results, so if i just get a majority conensus from the other shops around that it must be repainted for an insane amount ill just save and get a whole new scooped hood...... so thanks for the help 2stroked.......... and yes i did screw up but like i stated before i didnt want to try it on my 04 but my 08, 09 and navigator was all loned to family for the week....

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad I could offer some helpful advice. Try not to let everybody jumping on your case bother you too much. Even the best of us have some detailing disasters in our closets that we’re not too proud of.

By the way, throw that Turtle Wax stuff in the trash. It will do more harm than good anyway. Good luck!

Quick Reply: most effective scratch remover?