Mother's Back to Black

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mother's Back to Black

Anyone ever had bad experiences with Back to Black? I used it for the first time over the weekend. It worked great on all exterior plastic but made my rubber window moldings streaky. I think I should've applied it heavier to avoid the streaking. Anyways, wondering what you guys think about this product vs. Meg's HD. I'd like to think either product is actually protecting vs. accelerating the deterioration process.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by bigsur
Anyone ever had bad experiences with Back to Black? I used it for the first time over the weekend. It worked great on all exterior plastic but made my rubber window moldings streaky. I think I should've applied it heavier to avoid the streaking. Anyways, wondering what you guys think about this product vs. Meg's HD. I'd like to think either product is actually protecting vs. accelerating the deterioration process.
It runs like a scalded cat when it rains. I used it once and switched to Hyper Dressing after the first rain.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by dsq3973
It runs like a scalded cat when it rains. I used it once and switched to Hyper Dressing after the first rain.
Do you use HD on all exterior trim...plastic and rubber?

Old 11-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
It dried out in the grain on my bed rails after about a week. Looked terrible. I switched to Bondo Black Restore and it works great. The Bondo is not for the rubber, however, just plastic. I have a bottle of the back to Black I need to throw away.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Do you use HD on all exterior trim...plastic and rubber?
Yup I also clean the rubber window trim first with Megs #40 trim cleaner and restorer. The Back to Black comes in handy if you oops and get wax on your trim.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will probably switch to HD or try the Bondo afterall. I picked up the Mother's just becuase it was on the shelf and easy to obtain. I've found every detailing product I use on the shelf except for the HD. I guess I need to go to ADS and order some. Much appreciated guys.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
It dried out in the grain on my bed rails after about a week. Looked terrible. I switched to Bondo Black Restore and it works great. The Bondo is not for the rubber, however, just plastic. I have a bottle of the back to Black I need to throw away.
Bluejay,

What do you use on the black plastic panels between the side windows? Can't tell if they are plastic or metal. Was wondering if most people apply something to protect them.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Global Moderator &

Bluejay,

What do you use on the black plastic panels between the side windows? Can't tell if they are plastic or metal. Was wondering if most people apply something to protect them.
I have never used anything. They are plastic and mine have held up well. I apply the Bondo Restore Black on the rails about every 3 months. Holds up great. I painted the cowls with Fusion Satin Black and they are holding up well. Someday, maybe I'll get around to using the Fusion on the bed rails. Just lazy, I guess.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Check out Black Wow....its the best for any black plastic.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:15 AM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
The only thing Back to Black is good for is getting dried wax and other products off the plastic and rubber. It needs to be thoroughly removed too or it will wind up running and looking like crap.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
The only thing Back to Black is good for is getting dried wax and other products off the plastic and rubber. It needs to be thoroughly removed too or it will wind up running and looking like crap.
I hate that stuff!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Back to Black sucks, It wont touch my truck anymore. It barely removes wax residue from my experience atleast. I'll stick with Black Wow.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Does Hyperdressing restore black color to plastic? Does it run like BtB? Never used HD before. I have some on order as we speak. I'm hoping to use if for trim, moldings, tires, wheel wells....the whole nine yards. One product; many uses. Hope it works out that way anyways. Maybe I'll try the Black Wow if it doesn't work well on plastic.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
If you need to restore black color, use Showroom New. It's a dye.

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...e-restorer.htm

Quick Reply: Mother's Back to Black