Black WOW Problem...Pictures!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black WOW Problem...Pictures!

So, yesterday I Black Wowed my truck handles, trim, and bed rails. I let it sit for about an hour, then i washed it. It was night so I couldn't see much. This morning I look at the truck and around where I applied it are grease marks from the black wow. Any one had this before? How do I get it off the truck?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Looks like you used WAY too much.

Why did you use the Black Wow first, and then wash your truck?

You should have washed the truck first, then applied the Black Wow. I always apply it with a foam applicator then come back and buff with a microfiber.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to press into the trim hard to apply it properly, and dont use more than a pea sized amount.

And granted whatever anyone says, you should best use it after a wash. Washing it will remove it, not completely, but it will make it noticeable. And try to never let it touch the paint, its a PITA to remove.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
You are actually supposed to spray on water or use a damp towel to get rid of the extra Black Wow when you are finished. Any residue will come off easy right after, now it will be a lot harder to get off.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM
Yeah you used way tooo much. A sesame seed sized drop would be plenty to do that whole area. Second, the instructions that say you can apply the product before the wash was before the Trim Cards were created. If you didn't get a trim card, PM me and I'll get you one.

With BW, less is more. Let me show you. Here's a door handle that I did a few days ago.

It was cleaned and prepped using the new BW cleaner

This amount of BW was used on this MF applicator

Half done

Done

Btw, as for removing BW off paint, it's not that hard. A clean MF towel and a glass cleaner or quick detailer wipes it off easily. But use too much product and you'll just create more work for yourself.

Also after application above, the trim was not rinsed off or washed. It was just dried with a MF towel and it will continue to penetrate when left alone.

For trim that is severely neglected, a second or third follow up application may be necessary if the grey returns. The BW didn't disappear, it just was completely absorbed. Less is needed on the second application as there is a cumulative effect from the first application. Once the negelected plastic reaches saturation, the product will work as intended.

Richard (BW inventor)

Old 11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Moderator &

Nice post, Richard.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
you can apply the product before the wash was before the Trim Cards were created. If you didn't get a trim card, PM me and I'll get you one.
-Richard, bw inventor
what are trim cards, and is it something applicable to a 2003 f150?
thanks!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks!
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Nice post, Richard.
I don't want to violate site rules but if you search for the Black-Wow website you'll find a sample of the Trim Masking Cards online. Any piece of thin cardboard or 4x6 postcard works great. That's all the trim card is--a postcard. Use it as a barrier between the paint and the plastic to keep it off the pain. Bend it as necessary to conform to curves, etc..

I laminate my personal trim cards so they will last forever. the cards apply to any car although there is a cut line on them for MINI Coopers since the product was originally test marketed and developed within that community.

Richard

Originally Posted by f-150sport03
what are trim cards, and is it something applicable to a 2003 f150?
thanks!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Moderator &

I appreciate you being sensative to the site rules, Richard. The only thing that I'd ask is that you not self-promote. Stepping in to offer up help with the product - and other detailing tasks - is encouraged!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I apologize. I've been down this road before on other sites so I'm very careful about how I say anything. I only came here because one of my BW retailers asked me to respond, so I appreciate that you allowed me to do so.

I'll be happy to help and advise on detailing tasks regardless of products. It's what I love to do. Btw is my watermark on my images ok, or should I modify that? I've had the bad experience of my pictures used by others claiming it was their work, so I don't like posting any pix without it.

Richard

I appreciate you being sensative to the site rules, Richard. The only thing that I'd ask is that you not self-promote. Stepping in to offer up help with the product - and other detailing tasks - is encouraged!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Moderator &

It's fine for now... no hurry but, if you get a chance, it would be better that it not be there... Only because a supporting vendor, at some point in time, may sell your product. It'd be competition then (but, really, only because you posted it).

No need to get real worried here though... As a former MOL mod, site admin on another detailing site, and resident over the top guru (or at least one of them) here (and owner of a weekend detailing business), we encourage quality help and educated answers.

Heck, man... I've been eyeballing your BlackWow for a while now and simply haven't taken the bait because I was reluctant... I've seen some GREAT results with your product -- and, it's probably time for me to splurge and snag some at autodetailingsolutions, obsessivedetail or another one of my select few detailing retailers.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Cool..Rick at ADS is a great guy--he also looks out for me a lot.

Both of the shops you listed are my retailers, so I just like to support them however I can.

Thanks again.

Richard

It's fine for now... no hurry but, if you get a chance, it would be better that it not be there... Only because a supporting vendor, at some point in time, may sell your product. It'd be competition then (but, really, only because you posted it).

No need to get real worried here though... As a former MOL mod, site admin on another detailing site, and resident over the top guru (or at least one of them) here (and owner of a weekend detailing business), we encourage quality help and educated answers.

Heck, man... I've been eyeballing your BlackWow for a while now and simply haven't taken the bait because I was reluctant... I've seen some GREAT results with your product -- and, it's probably time for me to splurge and snag some at autodetailingsolutions, obsessivedetail or another one of my select few detailing retailers.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys for your help. I don't know why I washed it after, I swore that I saw to do that some where. I took some QD and wiped off the excess dripping. I guess i must have used too much, Ill try less next time. Instead of those trim cards, cant i just use painters tape, like when waxing...just opposite? Thanks again.

Old 11-14-2008, 10:48 AM
You can use tape but why would you want to keep buying it. Go to your local wally world or wherever buy some note cards like kids use in school, laminate it and you now have your trim cards.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Agreed.
Originally Posted by Blang
You can use tape but why would you want to keep buying it. Go to your local wally world or wherever buy some note cards like kids use in school, laminate it and you now have your trim cards.
I tape when I polish, but I don't know of many people who would tape for applying a trim dressing/restorer unless it was one of those dye based dressings that are messy.

The Trim Cards were intended to avoid having to use tape. It's a very simple idea and works brilliantly. But along with the card, you have to use LESS product. You saw how much I used for that handle. There shouldn't be anything dripping to wipe off when you're done.

A little bit of trivia..when I first wrote the instructions, I thought a "pea size" was a sufficiently small application dot but over time, my customers were saying that smaller was better--and it became "sesame sized" on the Trim Cards, lol. Eventually as you use it more, you use the amount necessary for what you're doing and it can vary from a sesame seed to a pea sized to several peas if you doing a large panel like a Honda Element or something.

As far as where you saw washing it off, I made a video on YouTube when I first launched the product showing how it doesn't wash off. A lot of people misunderstood that as an application method.

Also, before the Trim Cards were implemented, I found that if you applied BW properly, then washed the car, the excess would come off, however the catch is that I don't use the same wash mitt over the BW'd areas and I don't rub them either. The point is to do a full wash, and carefully using soap water and a mitt or sponge to carefully remove the excess. I've seen people rub it just like they were polishing a fender and it creates a big mess.

One last note, sometimes, depending on how you applied BW, there might be some initial dust attraction. However by the next wash, the plastic won't continue absorbing the BW and you can wash the car as normal and the surface dust/BW will be removed as well, leaving the look you expect.

Matte is right. Shiny is wrong. I've seen too many so called "reviews" that said BW looked great on initial application and lost it's "wow" the next day because it was no longer shiny. That's the way it's supposed to be, lol. Says right on the bottle for a matte finish.

Richard

Originally Posted by milkthegoat
Thanks guys for your help. I don't know why I washed it after, I swore that I saw to do that some where. I took some QD and wiped off the excess dripping. I guess i must have used too much, Ill try less next time. Instead of those trim cards, cant i just use painters tape, like when waxing...just opposite? Thanks again.

Last edited by OctaneGuy; 11-14-2008 at 11:10 AM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: Black WOW Problem...Pictures!