Spent some time painting axle/leaf springs today!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spent some time painting axle/leaf springs today!

Went out this morning with a wire brush and couple cans of black paint and some nice gloss clear and went to work. crawled underneath the back end of my truck and started wire brushing all the real rusty spots on the axle. it was time for it to get done, i got sick of seeing brown under there and on the leaf springs when i wash. i have driven behind my truck before in a car and remember being behind it and able to see everything underneath and how ugly/faded/rusty it looked. did it all with rustoleum high industrial flat black i had sitting around, then topped some parts off like the leaf springs with rustoleum high gloss clear coat. if anybody is interested in pics will get them tomorrow. but i feel better now knowing it looks better under there, and can look in my rear wheel wells without seeing brown leaf springs. tried not to get any paint on brake lines, even thought im sure it wouldnt hurt anything. im sure others have done this, just thought id share! all it needs now is a nice new set of shocks!

Last edited by 4wd150; 11-29-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pics? Its always nice to see a clean shiny suspension/drivetrain

Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 PM
tomorrow. been real busy after i finished. tomorrow if its not raining like they say its going to, i plan on doing the driveshaft

Old 11-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Paint that rustmaster too before the salt eats it away, my Super 44s looked awful last spring having been installed the prior winter

Thats great though man, always nice to have a nice flat black suspension I will be doing some work in spring, painting a little if the axle, and painting my hitch, along with all the grey plastics on the exterior to flat black.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:40 AM
yeah. actually ive had my super44 on for over a year now and when i was under there it wasnt bad. still black, just dirty. and painting underneath on axle its ok to get some on brake lines etc...?

Old 11-30-2008, 11:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4wd150
yeah. actually ive had my super44 on for over a year now and when i was under there it wasnt bad. still black, just dirty. and painting underneath on axle its ok to get some on brake lines etc...?
Well once the salt hits it, ah gee.. It'll look cheesy, but you can definitely restore it quickly.

I think your brakelines will be alright. Next time take some time to get the masking tape out and mask alot of stuff off that you dont want painted.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:44 AM
yeah i did most of it kind cheap haha, but it actually turned out looking good. people in my neighborhood were like wtf are you doing haha

Old 11-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Get pics.

It won't hurt the brakes lines, if anything it will protect them from rusting.

Quick Reply: Spent some time painting axle/leaf springs today!