08' rubber trim problematic ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fish go get a bottle of Meg's #40 and clean the trim. My 04 F150 had oxidation on the trim that made it look brown and I cleaned it with #40 and it helped a great deal in the appearance of the trim and then hit it with a good coat of Hyperdressing. I would also not suggest any harsh chemicals to clean the trim because it will run down onto the paint and remove and wax from the paint or possibly cause damage depending on what you use. You wont be disappointed in the way this works and if you are you are only out 8 bucks for the Meg's #40.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM
In fact......

I think I'm fixing to order this stuff; http://www.autodetailingsolutions.co...e-restorer.htm

Check this page; https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...pinions-2.html
and scroll down to Ticman's black bumper trim ! That looks freaking awesome, don't it ?
Interestingly though, he said he used the Showroom Black product "first" .....then used the Meguairs # 40 afterwards ? I thought the #40 was a cleaner.... that you would use first, then dye it ? No ?

Heck, I hadn't even thought about my bumper trim, tailgate handle, and door handles much yet.... but after seeing Ticman's bumpers, that looks way better than mine did, even from day 1 !

You know, I hate to say it, but even though my truck is an 08', the trim really looks to have gotten a LOT of weathering on it, before I took possesion of it :-( I think they sat it in the Sahara desert for about 6 months....

Peace,
Fish

Last edited by Fish Chris; 12-02-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey DSQ.....

I'm not opposed to trying the Meg's #40 cleaner either.....

The crazy thing is though, my truck is only 5 months old, and furthermore, the problems I'm having with my grayish-brownish streaky blotchy trim, were apparent since the first day I brought it home !

Either ford mixed that batch of trim rubber wrong.... or, the dealership that prepped my truck used some kind of crap that soaked in, and fouled up my trim.

Thank you though. I will go look at that #40 right now...

Peace,
Fish

Last edited by Fish Chris; 12-02-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
I'm not opposed to trying the Meg's #40 cleaner either.....

The crazy thing is though, my truck is only 5 months old, and furthermore, the problems I'm having with my grayish-brownish streaky blotchy trim, were apparent since the first day I brought it home !

Either ford mixed that batch of trim rubber wrong.... or, the dealership that prepped my truck used some kind of crap that soaked in, and fouled up my trim.

Thank you though. I will go look at that #40 right now...

Peace,
Fish
I feel your pain. My 08 Expedition has the same problem. The black plastic trim turns a bit gray a week or so after I apply dressing. I have been washing it and applying 303 protectant. Looks great for a few days, then it starts to lose it's shine/color. Doesn't' seem right for a truck bought in May.

Does cleaning the plastic with Meg #40 make that much difference?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Fish

That stuff was popular before black wow and so was bondo black i think

if black wow won't fix it nothing will

Can you get a picture of what you're talking about? I think it's the same problem i have

Old 12-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Hey 1bad....

honestly, I don't think Black Wow will be able to soak in, and do anything to my trim..... anymore than anything else I've tried.

I'm still thinking, cleaner first (Meg's #40 ?) then a "dye" based product.... then sure, Black Wow would probably look great.

I don't know if a photo could capture the problem well, or not. I might try to take a few shots if we get some sun in the next few days. It's kind of bronzish... or reflective, but in those weird colors like oil on wet pavement.... if that makes any sense.... But it's "anything but" satiny black.

Peace,
Fish

Old 12-04-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
honestly, I don't think Black Wow will be able to soak in, and do anything to my trim..... anymore than anything else I've tried.

I'm still thinking, cleaner first (Meg's #40 ?) then a "dye" based product.... then sure, Black Wow would probably look great.

I don't know if a photo could capture the problem well, or not. I might try to take a few shots if we get some sun in the next few days. It's kind of bronzish... or reflective, but in those weird colors like oil on wet pavement.... if that makes any sense.... But it's "anything but" satiny black.

Peace,
Fish
+1, that is EXACTLY how mine looks too...you would think on a 08 truck we wouldn't have issues like this. Hope the Megs works out...keep us all informed.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Black wow is a dye. One of the best i've used.

I suggest you come over to the "other" forum

Quick Reply: 08' rubber trim problematic ???