08' rubber trim problematic ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' rubber trim problematic ???

I'm sure if I were to ask what to use on my trim, I'd hear, Black Wow...

Pretty expensive.... looks messy, and a PITA if I get it on my paint... But I might try it, if I don't have any other good choices.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, what I really want to know is;
Is the trim on your 04-08's as funky as mine is ? I mean, might is usually somewhere between dark gray and brownish-gray, with all kinds of streaks and blotches. I've tried silicone based products on it.... and I've tried old school Armorall on it, and it seems all I am able to do, is to rearange the streaks and blotches ???

I mean, come on ! My current car, and every other vehicle I've had before my F150 all had black rubber trim, and the trim on those "always" looked better, whether I did anything to it or not ! Heck, the trim on my worn out 12 year old Toyota Tacoma looked blacker, and more evenly colored.....

Is this just the trim on my 08' F150 ? Or is yours as lame as mine is ?

Hmmmm......

So now I guess, yea........

Will anything else work well ? Or just the messy, expensive Black Wow ?

Thank you,
Fish

Old 12-01-2008, 12:47 AM
Black shoe polish? J/K

Old 12-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey Harly.....

Honestly, that couldn't work any worse than the stuff I've tried ! :-)

Peace,
Fish

Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 AM
Old 12-01-2008, 07:39 AM

I make sure the trim is completely clean first. I then cut a small block off that foam block and use it to spread hyperdressing on the trim. It's worked fine for me.

I got the foam block from adam's

Old 12-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Okay so.....

then do those pieces of foam double as toy building blocks ? :-) LOL

Okay, well that gives me another reason to hurry up and make my Meguiars order, as I already have Hyperdressing in my cart..... for my tires actually, but you reccomend it for my trim too, huh ? Okay, we'll see....

Peace,
Fish

Old 12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
You could also use Meguiar's #40. I've used it with pretty good results. I've also used Hyperdressing with good results.

No matter what you use, the key is to keep up with it. Reapply your dressing of choice at least once a month. But every couple of weeks would be better. I haven't used Black Wow, but I think there is still some upkeep with it - just not as often. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:54 PM
My 08 (aug) trim still looks perfect,i've put nothing on it and washed the truck about 2 times.
Can the dealership help?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Huh ?

Hey Average Joe, you have had your truck since August, and have washed it twice ??? Really ?

Geez, I've had mine since July, and I bet I have washed it 40 X's ! Seriously. About every 3 or 4 days. In fact, I washed it about 3 hours ago.

Peace,
Fish

Old 12-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
Hey Average Joe, you have had your truck since August, and have washed it twice ??? Really ?

Geez, I've had mine since July, and I bet I have washed it 40 X's ! Seriously. About every 3 or 4 days. In fact, I washed it about 3 hours ago.

Peace,
Fish
My truck i got myself for work and it's silver, don't look dirty and it's just a work truck, others will judge me for not washing it 6 times a week.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Average.....

I wouldn't judge you for that.... I probably haven't washed my boat 4 times in the 3 years I've owned it. Granted 1) It's a fishing boat, and 2) nothing hides dirt and grime better, than Mossy Oak Shadow Grass :-)

But anyway, I was just kind of surprised to see your reply in this forum section, where many (most ?) of these guys are washing, polishing, waxing, etc. their trucks REALLY often....

In any case, you say your trim still looks good..... While mine looked all grayish, and streaky / blotchy right from day 1 !

I'm starting to think my trim might be a special case....

Hmmmm,
Fish

Old 12-01-2008, 08:52 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Black Wow is *NOT* messy or expensive if it's applied according to directions. Most people use WAY too much.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by Fish Chris
I wouldn't judge you for that.... I probably haven't washed my boat 4 times in the 3 years I've owned it. Granted 1) It's a fishing boat, and 2) nothing hides dirt and grime better, than Mossy Oak Shadow Grass :-)

But anyway, I was just kind of surprised to see your reply in this forum section, where many (most ?) of these guys are washing, polishing, waxing, etc. their trucks REALLY often....

In any case, you say your trim still looks good..... While mine looked all grayish, and streaky / blotchy right from day 1 !

I'm starting to think my trim might be a special case....

Hmmmm,
Fish
I just got a bottle of black wow and that's supposed to be really good. I have 0 problems with hyper dressing though. I use it on my bed caps, handles, tonneau, grille, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Mine is the same way Fish, dunno what the cause is. I wash my truck very regularly and have tried everything but it still doesn't look "black" like it should. Not to help matters any but the mechanic who was doing my oil change at my dealer put his oily dirty hand on it and it has had a permanent smudge since then too. He also got oily hand prints on my door panel and center console (I could have killed him). You find a fix then let me know.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Hey Drew.... and everyone....

I was beginning to think I wasn't getting my point across....

> I think my trim is messed up < or has had something used on it, which penetrated the rubber, and now won't allow other dressings / rubber treatments to soak in, and do there job.

Black Wow might be very good for most of your trucks..... But I have a feeling it won't soak into my trim (and maybe Drew's) like it does most of yours. I'm not saying I won't try it, but I don't have much confidence in it.

Honestly, I'm thinking I might be best to use some sort heavy duty cleaner "first" to get all of the 9 different things I've allready tried + whatever was used on it, during prep by the dealer, out first.

Then, the "dye idea" sounds best to me.

Hmmmm......

Peace,
Fish

PS, Thank you Drew. I was beggining to feel like I was all by myself.

Quick Reply: 08' rubber trim problematic ???