Black spots on white paint.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black spots on white paint.

I have recently noticed these black spots on my truck and they kind of look like they may have come from a tree or something. It is hard to tell exactly what they are or where they came from. My problem is getting them off. I cannot get them off with just regular car wash products from my local stores. I can sort of pick them off with my finger, but they still leave a bit of black behind and still don't come off with soap. Does anyone have a suggestion to a strong car wash product that can get off just about anything without ruining the paint and wax? I appreciate any help you all come up with.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you used clay?

Old 12-03-2008, 06:28 PM
I haven't tried anything else yet and am not really knowledgeable in the detailing world. What is a good brand to buy if I try out the clay?

Old 12-03-2008, 07:18 PM
If I were in your shoes, I would go to the local Walmart or autostore and buy a Meguiars Clay kit- I believe it comes with two clay bars and a quick detail spray. This is a good way to start because its a less aggressive approach and may do the trick nicely.

If you arent familiar with how clay works- its a bit like silly putty shaped like a thin bar of soap. You first wash the vehicle, then spray the quick detailer on the paint. It acts as a lubricant as you then rub the clay bar on the paint. You can feel the difference as it works. The parts you have clayed will feel smooth as glass. The clay adheres to deposits both seen and unseen that lie on top of the vehicles paint. In most cases, clay will remove types of deposits from trees to bug splatters. (note- I can go into more detail if you need help with the process, but for the purposes of keeping it brief, I spoke in very general terms.) Claying is very easy and safe. As long as you keep the paint wet with the detailer spray as a lubricant, you cant really screw it up. I even let my three year old help me

Consider starting with this before going at the paint with more aggressive methods.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't know much about detailing the first thing you should do before you touch your truck is learn.

Check out
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ca...ng-sticky.html

and
http://www.bbscomp.com/george/Detail..._edition_1.pdf

Einstein once said something to the effect that if he had one hour to save the world he would spend fifty-five minutes defining the problem and only five minutes finding the solution.

Knowledge is key.

- NCSU

Old 12-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Suspended
Most likely it is road tar...Good luck - F-FX4

Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
If it's road tar or tree sap, any commercial bug and tar remover will take care of it.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:19 AM
WD-40 works great and won't harm the paint.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by Jimmy1954
WD-40 works great and won't harm the paint.
Go with clay and not WD-40. Clay is meant for car paint, where WD-40 is not. Read the sticky about claying too, it will explain how to do it properly.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you try anything yet?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Those black spots are not from the road..... they are from trees or mulch around your home. They are actually a mold spore. They are slightly raised and hard. They do not wash off and they are extremely difficult to remove. I have them on my vinyl siding on my house and I have a few on my travel trailer. I got them off the trailer by washing them, then picking the heads off of them, then cleaning with goof off then waxing the crap out of it so they don't stick again! I have none on my truck, but it stays in the garage. Besides, I think there is enough wax on my truck that nothing will stick to it!

Quick Reply: Black spots on white paint.