DA, PC, Flex, or Dewalt. Which one 4 X-MAS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:35 PM
|
DA, PC, Flex, or Dewalt. Which one 4 X-MAS?

Its about that time. I'm thinking about buying one of these for myself for X-MAS. This will be my first machine and I'm turning to you guys for advice. I'm thinking that I should get the Megs G110 to start off with. I will only be using it for personal use. If you also think this is correct, then which G110 kit should I start off with from ADS. Thanks a million

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.com/

PS: I'm not feeling the Dewalt one but I figured that I would add it to the title b/c its on ADS website.

Old 12-07-2008 | 10:57 AM
The Megs G110 is basically the same as a PC. The flex is kind of like a PC on sterioids. In the end, they are both considered 'Random Orbital Polishers'.
The Dewalt is a rotary polisher...totally different animal than the Flex or PC, for that, we will leave it out of this conversation completely.

It comes down to what you are going to be using it for. If it will be strictly for personal use, perhaps to polish out your truck once or twice a year, then the PC (G110) will suit you fine. If you want to do your truck and maybe plan to do your friends, family's, neighbors, or perhaps do some paint reconditioning on the side for money, then a Flex may be in order. The flex is a heavier duty machine if you will...larger amp rating on the motor, heavier construction, etc etc. For lack of better words, basically it is built to work long and hard. The flex will produce the same results as a PC, the difference is, the flex will do it faster, but that comes with a hefty pricetag. If you have the extra dough lying around, go with the flex, there wont be any dissapointments.

Old 12-07-2008 | 12:24 PM
Go with the Flex. I have a G100 and decided to try the Flex and so glad I did.

Kevin

Old 12-07-2008 | 12:45 PM
Moderator &
Just depends on what type of a detailer you are...

They are all good machines but, the most versatile of them would be the upper two -- that being a full rotary or the Flex.

Old 12-07-2008 | 01:14 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Just depends on what type of a detailer you are...

They are all good machines but, the most versatile of them would be the upper two -- that being a full rotary or the Flex.
I'm a basic detailer nothing heavy but this is not to say that I will not get into something heavy.

Old 12-07-2008 | 01:18 PM
Moderator &
Flex is a pretty solid path, in that case and IMO.

It'll offer a bit more defect removal 'power' than the G110, G100, or PC7424/7336. While it's not as powerful as a rotary, it's a solid choice for most 'shade tree' detailers. For that case, the G110 option is also a good choice...

Old 12-07-2008 | 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by khindal
Go with the Flex. I have a G100 and decided to try the Flex and so glad I did.

Kevin
if you still have the g100 i may take it off your hands if the price is right

Old 12-07-2008 | 03:22 PM
|
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Flex is a pretty solid path, in that case and IMO.

It'll offer a bit more defect removal 'power' than the G110, G100, or PC7424/7336. While it's not as powerful as a rotary, it's a solid choice for most 'shade tree' detailers. For that case, the G110 option is also a good choice...
I'm torn b/t the Flex and the G110. It will be a X-MAS present to myself so money is not a problem in this situation. So on this case, if you were me which one will you choose.

Old 12-07-2008 | 03:51 PM
Suspended
Just to clarify a little minor misinformation up... PC and the G100/G110 machines are technically not random orbital, but in fact dual-action machines. This is so because they all do random orbit AND rotate...thus, the dual-action name. A random orbital offers no ability for paint correction, and it only useful for wax application.

As for the question of what to get... the FLEX is a great choice if you want to actually correct paint. You can apply waxes with it, but it really isn't that ideal for that task. (It works, it's just not my preferred method).

I personally own and use a Makita rotary, a FLEX, and a G110. I love all three, and if I was planning on only detailing my own vehicle from time to time I think the G110 would be my choice. The new Meguiar M105 and M205 formulas will work on the G110, and give you the ability to fully correct a reasonably well maintained vehicle.

The G110 is safer, easier to learn, and easier to use than the FLEX or rotary. The FLEX is still fairly easy to use, but does have more of a learning curve than a DA.

Also, to clarify the statement that a PC is the same as a G110...not quite right either. Meguiar's designed and created the G110 totally in-house, not from the PC...and it has about 25% more power. That power is key!

Hope this helps.

Old 12-07-2008 | 04:02 PM
|
Originally Posted by Lumadar
Just to clarify a little minor misinformation up... PC and the G100/G110 machines are technically not random orbital, but in fact dual-action machines. This is so because they all do random orbit AND rotate...thus, the dual-action name. A random orbital offers no ability for paint correction, and it only useful for wax application.

As for the question of what to get... the FLEX is a great choice if you want to actually correct paint. You can apply waxes with it, but it really isn't that ideal for that task. (It works, it's just not my preferred method).

I personally own and use a Makita rotary, a FLEX, and a G110. I love all three, and if I was planning on only detailing my own vehicle from time to time I think the G110 would be my choice. The new Meguiar M105 and M205 formulas will work on the G110, and give you the ability to fully correct a reasonably well maintained vehicle.

The G110 is safer, easier to learn, and easier to use than the FLEX or rotary. The FLEX is still fairly easy to use, but does have more of a learning curve than a DA.

Also, to clarify the statement that a PC is the same as a G110...not quite right either. Meguiar's designed and created the G110 totally in-house, not from the PC...and it has about 25% more power. That power is key!

Hope this helps.
This will be my first time using a machine. With this being said this is the reason I'm torn b/t the G110 and Flex. I will not only be using it on my truck but also on my girlfriends car and possibly ( or should I say more than likley) family members car. I'm a really fast learner if this helps but just confused as to which one I should get being a beginner.

Old 12-07-2008 | 04:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by pmason718
This will be my first time using a machine. With this being said this is the reason I'm torn b/t the G110 and Flex. I will not only be using it on my truck but also on my girlfriends car and possibly ( or should I say more than likley) family members car. I'm a really fast learner if this helps but just confused as to which one I should get being a beginner.
Don't be scared by the FLEX. If you are not totally inept, and capable of spending a week or so reading over some detailing forums to get familiar with the concepts of paint correction, what it means to correct paint, how modern cars are painted, etc then you should be fine.

Just realize that the FLEX is a hair difficult to control at first until you learn how to move it. Also, because of the movement pattern it isn't good for small or confined areas...which can be a pain sometimes.

With a rotary or a DA (G110) you can easily switch to a smaller backing plate, and smaller pads and easily control the pad movement into tight spaces. The FLEX is large and awkward in that sense.

BUT, on the plus side the FLEX can deliver paint correction almost as quickly and effectively as a rotary in many situations.

To be honest, if you only plan on doing a few vehicles, then being lightning fast and having tons of correcting power wouldn't be a priority for me. Ease of use, safety, and flexibility (ie pads sizes) would be paramount for me.

I think the G110 is the best fit for the situations you described, with the FLEX a close 2nd.

Old 12-07-2008 | 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar

Hope this helps.
Sorry, my bad about the random orbital thing.

Oh and when I said a G110 and a PC are basically the same machine, I simply meant the same as in they are both DA's....

To the OP. If money is no issue, you'd be silly not to go with the FLEX. The FLEX IMHO gives you kinda the "best of both worlds" if you are willing to learn how to use it properly and learn about paint correction. While it may not correct as fast as a rotary, it corrects MUCH faster than a DA style machine, but still fairly safe to use for a begginer, unlike a full rotary.

Its your money, your x-mas present so do what you will. If it were me, there would be no choice...FLEX all the way.

Last edited by mrfjsw294; 12-07-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-08-2008 | 09:11 AM
|
Here's the new story:

My lady has been hearing me talk about a DA for a while now and I think she has something up her sleeve for X-MAS. If she hits up ADS and buys me a G110 cool. If not than I will be looking to purchase the Flex. I will let you guys know what happens.

Old 12-08-2008 | 09:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
I would vote for the G110, I'm going to buy one in spring. We have pretty much the same use preference, our own trucks, and maybe a family car now and then. The g110 would fit that job perfect.

Old 12-10-2008 | 01:13 PM
Just so you know ads always has sales on their g110 packages before christmas

Quick Reply: DA, PC, Flex, or Dewalt. Which one 4 X-MAS?