many scratches and other paint problems...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many scratches and other paint problems...what to do?

well my truck has many spot where it has been scratched really deep, some just like marks on it, some faded spots, and some spots where it looks like the clear coat is peeling off...what should i do to these?
is there one product i can use on the whole truck?
what is the best brands?
any "secrets" that yall have figured out or tips?
any other information that may help me?

here are some pictures of some of the spots on the truck:

several spots where scratches are like this

got this one spot where it is like white and in a bunch of dots and the flare is messed up(something special to use on that? doesnt matter as much to me because i am replacing those eventualy)

this looks like it is just rubbed on the clear coat...buff it out?

several spots like this...the top of my tailgate looks like this

the clear coat appears to be peeling off...what should i do to stop it?

this one is deep...use touch up paint on it? any certain brand or way to put it on that works best? then how do i make it match up nicely?

i have more pictures in my albums so you can check them out if you want to see other examples...i really have no clue when it comes to the paint...should i put touch up paint on the scratches and then is there a way to buff it out or something so it looks good? any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 08:54 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Sorry to say, that looks like repaint time.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 PM
dang...that is what i was affraid of...i am definetly not painting it any time soon...i cant afford it. i was hoping there was some ways to clean it up...i guess just touch up paint will have to do for now? i was hopping there was something that would make it look better...

any other ideas?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, nothing you can do about the stripes other than get new ones, and nothing you can do about the chip on the fender flair. But if you took it to an experienced detailer, the scratches and stuff can be "reduced." But be prepared to shell out some cash to have it done right. (like 400ish probably)

Old 12-07-2008, 11:39 PM
well with that cost i would just save up and get it repainted...how much does a good paint job cost?

also, i have heard of a clay bar...what does this do? on my front fender my paint seems like it is getting foggy and a little faded, will the clay bar help that sort of stuff?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:54 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
Nothing can fix peeling clearcoat except a repaint. All a claybar will do is pull contaminants out of the paint, it won't help foggy or faded paint.

Old 12-08-2008, 12:14 AM
oh...ok. is there anything that will fix the faded paint or is that just a re paint?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Well most of those imperfections you pointed out are well through the clear coat, but since you don't have money for a repaint right now, I would take a few steps to try to better the look of your paint. I'm not too sure on how Meguiars Color X works on restoring color to a clear coat, but I know it works pretty darn well on single stage paint. Try using that on your truck and see if it helps at all, costs only about 8-10 bucks at wally world. But in order to get your paint looking good again, it going to require a paint job.

The cost really depends on where you can go. You can get one for a few hundred bucks in a few days and it is going to look horrible and probably not going to last you even a year. You need to go and shop around at different shops, and see what their warranties are. When you go to the shop, if you see any car drying from new paint outside, leave (amazingly some places do do this) Also make sure the guy goes out and take a through look at your car and ask you about paint history and such and different options on what you want out of your paint job. If he just asks for your type of car and gives you a quote I would look somewhere else. A quality paint job is going to be a couple thousand dollars. (or more)

I just suggest color x to see if it brings some life back to the color in your paint.

Quick Reply: many scratches and other paint problems...what to do?