Tire shine

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another plus for HD! I spray it on, then wipe it around.

Love it. no sling

Old 12-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If the stoners tire works as good as their glass cleaner it must be real good cause their glass cleaner kicks ***.

I recently bought a can of Megs Tire spray and thought it was like the other stuff you guys described but when I went to use it, it was like clear spray paint, even the spray head had several settings, it worked ok but its so much like spray paint it concerns me in that I am concerned if it gets on my paint...

Last edited by BayouSupercrew; 12-24-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Don't worry, you're good. Just wipe down any excess.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:58 AM
Seems a few are not answering your question so I will but first let me tell you this.

Just like the paint surface, if you don't have a properly prepped tire any dressing you apply will not look right.

So given that, make sure you clean the tire before applying dressing. Someone mentioned stacking above, stacking is only acceptable when using the same product withing reason of the last application. Some key words there. Read it again.

Now to your question. Will HD sling? It sure will. Is it a problem? Not at all....just use a clean MF and some QD and it will be gone as quick as it got there.

I happen to be in the camp of over dress, clean up later. In a pinch I will blot dry the HD if the customer is going to be driving off soon....so that also makes you think about what stage you apply HD or any dressing. Another trick I do is after I apply, I pull the truck/car back or forward so that I get a uniform spray on the surface.

What I do and this is just me.....After a wash, I dry...then I will apply HD to the wells, frame and wheels...pull in the garage then QD the surface. (This is b/c vapor droplets will find there way to the paint)

Once the QD is done, if I am doing a full detail...

Clay
Polish/Correct
Seal
LSP

Wheels are already done.

Hope that helps.

RR

Old 12-25-2008, 12:08 PM
I use nothing except HD on the tires and have never had an issue with sling, even driving the truck within an hour of application. I spray it on, let it soak in for a couple of minutes then use a tire swipe to spread it over the tire.

http://www.eagleone.com/pages/produc...=1031&cat=5005

Old 12-30-2008, 06:29 AM
This is old school but don't knock it 'till you've tried it. It's all I've used for years. Clean your tires really well with Purple or Westley's or similar and just apply plain old floor wax to your dry tires. It seals the tires and makes it much easier to clean off dried mud, etc. It will give you a nice shiny black tire but not the "wet" look. Cheap too, then you can spend the money you wasted on high priced tire shine on something better. You can get an idea from my old work van here.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Stoners - hands down.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock

Just like the paint surface, if you don't have a properly prepped tire any dressing you apply will not look right.

RR
What would you say is a proper format to prepping a tire.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by pmason718
What would you say is a proper format to prepping a tire.
A clean one.

you need to get all the gunk off it...use something like APC+ or SG, allow it to dwell a little, use a stiff brush and scrub the wheel...rinse. Apply dressing...enjoy.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
A clean one.

you need to get all the gunk off it...use something like APC+ or SG, allow it to dwell a little, use a stiff brush and scrub the wheel...rinse. Apply dressing...enjoy.
i usually spray APC+ on mine but I take it off right away. I guess I need to let it sit for a few seconds.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:41 PM
esf
Originally Posted by pmason718
i usually spray APC+ on mine but I take it off right away. I guess I need to let it sit for a few seconds.
Personally I think the scrubbing of the tire is more important than letting it dwell. It's not enough to simply spray on and rinse off. Like RR though, I do both. Spray it on, let it sit and scrub it real good. You're set.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
I still use Westley's and a scrub brush to clean my tires.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i use black magic tire wet gel. it doesnt sling.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:57 AM
Originally Posted by Carolina Five-0
This is old school but don't knock it 'till you've tried it. It's all I've used for years. Clean your tires really well with Purple or Westley's or similar and just apply plain old floor wax to your dry tires. It seals the tires and makes it much easier to clean off dried mud, etc. It will give you a nice shiny black tire but not the "wet" look. Cheap too, then you can spend the money you wasted on high priced tire shine on something better. You can get an idea from my old work van here.
Interesting. What kind of floor wax (brand) did you use on your tires? They look great.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by esf
Personally I think the scrubbing of the tire is more important than letting it dwell. It's not enough to simply spray on and rinse off. Like RR though, I do both. Spray it on, let it sit and scrub it real good. You're set.
I do scrub it.

Quick Reply: Tire shine