Tire shine

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doesnt any of the tire dressings eventually make cracks in your tires , that is what i heard

Old 01-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by clicheband
doesnt any of the tire dressings eventually make cracks in your tires , that is what i heard
No as a matter of fact they help preserve the tires.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by clicheband
The old formula of armor all did as far as i know

I've never heard of any new formulas having that problem. I use armor all everyday at work and never once have i had a problem.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I've always had good luck with megs tire dressings.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by andrewc_11890
No as a matter of fact they help preserve the tires.
I wonder if this is true. Tire manufactures put "waxes" into the tires that migrate to the surface when the tire flexes (blooming). These waxes help prevent breakdown from ozone. I've never seen a container of tire shine, etc. that claims to replace these waxes or add wax to the tires. I'd think that spraying these shine products on a tire and then wiping them off would actually remove the protective waxes from the tire. Also, I've almost never seen a dressing claim to protect tires from UV (I've seen plastic protectants claim this but not tire dressings).

Whenever I have used a tire protecting product I've always noticed that I've wiped a black material off the tire. This is not just dirt/grime. I wonder if I'm removing the black carbon from the surface of the tire.

There are some protectants like 303 makes that claim they are not oils so they won't remove the wax. I'd tend to think that any water based tire shine would most likely not remove the wax from a tire but are all tire dressings water based?

Old 01-04-2009, 02:14 PM
esf
Originally Posted by tcope
I wonder if this is true. Tire manufactures put "waxes" into the tires that migrate to the surface when the tire flexes (blooming). These waxes help prevent breakdown from ozone. I've never seen a container of tire shine, etc. that claims to replace these waxes or add wax to the tires. I'd think that spraying these shine products on a tire and then wiping them off would actually remove the protective waxes from the tire. Also, I've almost never seen a dressing claim to protect tires from UV (I've seen plastic protectants claim this but not tire dressings).

Whenever I have used a tire protecting product I've always noticed that I've wiped a black material off the tire. This is not just dirt/grime. I wonder if I'm removing the black carbon from the surface of the tire.

There are some protectants like 303 makes that claim they are not oils so they won't remove the wax. I'd tend to think that any water based tire shine would most likely not remove the wax from a tire but are all tire dressings water based?
I look at it this way. Have you ever seen someone's car that doesn't take care of it at all? A buddy of mine had a Sentra that he never washed, and only changed the oil on it once or twice the entire 4 or 5 years he owned it. Well, during a detail the one day, I looked at his tires and I knew he had his inspecion coming up. The sidewals were all cracked. Dry rotted. This is common with people who never take care of their car or protect it from anything. Same deal with interiors never being treated and protected. They dry up and crack. I bet if someone wanted to test this theory they would find that a tire that receives some sort of dressing will outlast (sidewalls anyway) the none treated tire. Take two old tires that are in good shape on the sidewalls and leave them out in the sun. Continue to dress one and leave the other untreated. See what happens. Maybe I'm wrong. I'd be interested in the results.

Quick Reply: Tire shine