Making another plunge for a DA

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making another plunge for a DA

i'm making a big order from ADS and going to purchase the G-110 and accessories to take relief off my shoulder (that required surgery). I'm ordering as much as i can from ADS. I have researched literally for 6 hours and have decided on the following:
Meguiar's G110 Kit #2
Meguiar's #80 Speed Glaze 32 oz.
Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover 16 oz
Meguiar's #83 Dual Action Cleaner/Polish 12 oz.
Meguiar's M105 Ultra Cut Compound 12 oz
Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 (I chose this over #21)
Meguiar's M 205 Ultra Finishing Polish 12 oz.
Meguiar's Hyper Dressing 1 gal
Meguiar's Hi-Tech Applicator Pad 4-Pack
Meg. 8006 Pads- 3
Meg. 9006 Pads- 3

In addition to these items I already have several items that include #7 and #26.
I don't feel the need for more abrasive cleaners such as #1, or 2.

I am going to try out the meguiar's pads and then try some LC pads at a later date.

Do i need both #80 and the new M105? I've read good things about 105.
If i buy the M105 does it need to be followed by M205?

Also I've read about Black Hole and Ex Sealent from Poorboys and seem interested in those two, especially the Black Hole due to my truck color (Dark Blue).

Also, How long do the various pads last? How do you clean the pads? Do i need a brush or special cleaning tool?

I've considered #34 but am on the fence about it.

DO i need just one backing plate?
Is there anything else I need to consider?

Last edited by BtownFord; 12-27-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:51 PM
esf
First off, 105 is a unique beast. While it is a compound, it has the ability to finsh down sometimes to an LSP ready finish. Sometimes it will need to be followed up with a finer polish though to achieve desired results. For that 205 would be a good choice. 80 would probably suffice as well but personally I think I would go with 205 because I like the new super micro abrasive technology. 80 is closer to 205 than it is to 105. I think once you begin to learn how to prep the surface correctly and get it defect free (or close) you'll find less use for glazes like black hole and such but that's personal opinion. For cleaning pads, when I'm finished with them, I mix a bucket of water and Murphy's oil soap up and let them soak, sometimes over night. Then when I physically clean them good I'll use Dawn and that gets them pretty clean. Then I spin dry them on the DA and let air dry. No special tools needed. As far as #34 goes, I'd pick some up. I keep a gallon on hand. It's a very good quick detailer. Does a good job of cleaning light dirt and doing a final wipe down after you've applied your LSP. For your backing plate, as long as your pads are different sizes then you only need the one backing plate. I don't see any mention of clay up there anywhere. That's a must. Also, I see you are getting a 32oz HD. Pick up an extra HD bottle and spray head. Otherwise you're going to wind up with a fill bottle of straight HD and no way to dilute it. While you're at it, pick up some APC+. Like HD, get an extra bottle. Actually, you should do yourself a favor and order both by the gallon with 2 extra spray bottles each. This way you can always have two dilution ratios on hand for different things. That and they both go fast. You'll end up ordering more rather quickly and that just means more shipping costs. But get the bottles that are designated for that product. They have the dilution ratios on the bottle. Very convenient. You should also consider picking up some good wash mitts if you don't already have them. The SM Arnold Lambs Wool Wash Mitt (85-340) is very good.

You have to keep in mind that Meguiars is creating many new products using their new super micro abrasive technology. Unlike traditional abrasives that break down as you work them, this new technology doesn't break down. It will continue to work as long as you are working it and it's doesn't dry out. This gives newer products a lot of versatility. You can almost change the aggressiveness to an extent based on how you work the product. I think every product probably has its place in the line-up. It's up to you to decide when to use them and that comes with experience.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by esf
First off, 105 is a unique beast. While it is a compound, it has the ability to finsh down sometimes to an LSP ready finish. Sometimes it will need to be followed up with a finer polish though to achieve desired results.

You have to keep in mind that Meguiars is creating many new products using their new super micro abrasive technology. Unlike traditional abrasives that break down as you work them, this new technology doesn't break down. It will continue to work as long as you are working it and it's doesn't dry out. This gives newer products a lot of versatility. You can almost change the aggressiveness to an extent based on how you work the product. I think every product probably has its place in the line-up. It's up to you to decide when to use them and that comes with experience.
Well said, I would echo my thoughts here to skip the M80 and get the M205. It works better and finishes better IMHO and with pad choice it can give you more cut than traditional M80.

I had given up using Megs products in favor of PB, Menz, Optimum etc...but after using the M105 and now M205, megs hit some home runs here.

If you are serious about Lake Pads, here is my advice. Get the 4" pads and a 2 3/8's backing pate along with a few 3" PFW pads.

Good post ESF....

Old 12-27-2008, 09:01 PM
esf
Hey RR, I was going to mention the 4" pads but since I'm not familiar with the G110 I didn't want to say anything. I wasn't sure how close the 110 and the 100/7424 are and if they use the same backing plates or not so I didn't know if it would take the 4" pads. From my knowledge, ADS doesn't stock 4" pads which is too bad. Atleast not on their website.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Suspended
New M105 + M205 + G110 = Cheap and effective paint correction with fantastic results.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Hey RR, I was going to mention the 4" pads but since I'm not familiar with the G110 I didn't want to say anything. I wasn't sure how close the 110 and the 100/7424 are and if they use the same backing plates or not so I didn't know if it would take the 4" pads. From my knowledge, ADS doesn't stock 4" pads which is too bad. Atleast not on their website.

Oh that is a good point...I don't know a thing about that G110.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:18 PM
If he's getting M105 and M205, would he really need M80 and M83?

Old 12-28-2008, 01:40 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by ELVATO
If he's getting M105 and M205, would he really need M80 and M83?
Well, it never hurts to have other options...but, honestly, I doubt he will "need" them.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:59 AM
esf
Probably not which is why both RR and myself said we'd probably choose 205 rather than 80 instead of in addition to. However, for an extra $17 or so each it doesn't really hurt. He's already paying shipping and was ordering them to begin with so it doesn't seem like the extra coin is much of an issue. But yeah it's not necessary, atleast for 80. I'm not so sure on 83 however. I think 83 still has it's place. 105 is still pretty agressive regardless of how it finishes down so I think constantly jumping to it is overkill. Least aggressive first. I'd still pick up 83 while I'd probably leave 80 out. That's me though.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:04 AM
I would like to order from ADS also but I have a quick ?. If I need to remove let's say light scratches or defects do you guys recommend #80 or M205. I know that in another post on here you guys spoke highly of 80 plus I seen Mike use it on the "How to Use a PC" DVD. Along with this question would you guys say that #7 Show Care Glaze would work well with my truck paint color? I know that Mike stated it works well on Dark colors but I wasn't sure.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. So i'll scratch #80 from the list then. \
105 is more aggressive than 83 right?

Always follow 105 with 205 correct?
use 8006 with 105 and 9006 with 205 or could i use either pad with 205?
esf- i already have all the basics, like clay bar, good wash material, etc.

RR- i think i may wait on LC pads because I don't fully understand the various pads and the meguiars are fairly fool proof. I will keep your suggesstion in mind for future use

I think i may order a sampler of 34 and see how i like the results

Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited by BtownFord; 12-28-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM
esf
pmason, I know nothing about #7. Maybe someone else can help. As far as 80 and 205 and light scratches, it's hard for anyone to say without pictures. That being said, I'd go with 205 because of it's versatility. You can play around with it a bit and probably get the results you're looking for.

Btown, it's not always necessary to follow 105 with 205. I've gotten 105 to finish down to a near LSP ready finish already. However, there are times where a less aggessive polish is needed to follow it up. Every vehicle is different. I have no idea on Meg's pads as I use LC pads. Someone I'm sure will jump in on that.

Sounds like you're on the right track. Just remember, we need pictures. Preferably before and afters. Have fun.

Old 12-28-2008, 12:30 PM
As esf said, it depends on how you finished the M105. Car I did, I went from M105 to glaze to wax, though I could have gone directly to wax, and it would have looked fine.

And yea, pictures when you're done, please

Old 12-28-2008, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by BtownFord
Thanks for all the input guys. So i'll scratch #80 from the list then. \
105 is more aggressive than 83 right?

Always follow 105 with 205 correct?
use 8006 with 105 and 9006 with 205 or could i use either pad with 205?
esf- i already have all the basics, like clay bar, good wash material, etc.

RR- i think i may wait on LC pads because I don't fully understand the various pads and the meguiars are fairly fool proof. I will keep your suggesstion in mind for future use

I think i may order a sampler of 34 and see how i like the results

Thanks for the input guys.
No worries, you are on the right path. You cannot absorb ALL this stuff at once and after you begin to use what you have, you will quickly find what you like and don't like and what the limitations of each are.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=esf;3507422]pmason, I know nothing about #7. Maybe someone else can help. As far as 80 and 205 and light scratches, it's hard for anyone to say without pictures. That being said, I'd go with 205 because of it's versatility. You can play around with it a bit and probably get the results you're looking for.
QUOTE]

ok cool. I don't have any pics as of now but my finish isn't bad at all simply b/c I don't drive the truck. I just got a DA for X-Mas and I want to use it, lol. I figured I would just use the least aggressive product after claying. I would prefer a cleaner/polisher in one like #80. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I dont really have swirls or scratches that can be seen I guess but when I do to detail it, I want to be able to remove what I can't see for an even better finish. Hope that makes sense

Quick Reply: Making another plunge for a DA