advice for black paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirius06sc
best advice i could give to anyone with a dark color car or truck would be Zaino brothers show car polish
There are a lot of products out there to remove swirls. The best thing you can do is try your best not to put them there in the first place. Once they're there, you have tons of options.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to offer some very basic advice. It goes for any color vehicle, but black (or any really dark color) just seems to show sins better than anything else.

So here's my advice. Think about the fact that any time you rub something across / against the surface of your paint - no matter how softly you do it - you're actually scratching the paint at some level. True, it might be a level which you can only see through a microscope, but eventually all of that scratching will show up. An unscratched black surface is just about the ultimate in beautiful paint. The challenge is keeping it as scratch free as possible, and when they ultimately do appear, removing them in the proper manner. I think Rockpick can tell you tons about the joys of black paint since his new King Ranch is black.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:21 AM
The only advice I can give you is patience. I have owned a black truck and it was pretty when it was clean for about 10 minutes after I got it done. I will not own another black truck because I like my sanity.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:43 AM
i use poorboys black hole polish with some ex-p once a month applied with my cyclo polisher finished with some PB natty blue wax. oh and nothing but microfiber touches my truck and I would invest in a blower to dry. Im a fireman so im lucky I get to wash my truck at work. lol.

Last edited by BlackHawaiian08; 01-06-2009 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel your pain brother. After we got the wifes Nissan Coupe I bought my truck in black also. Now it's double your pleasure and double the work too.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:12 AM
black = Zaino.....

Old 01-10-2009, 09:47 AM
My best advice is to keep it out of a commercial car wash! Mine goes through only when weather is too crappy to hand wash. Then I always have to pull into nice heated garage and buffing all the marks out of it. Real PITA. Next time I build a home, the garage will have water source and a drain in the floor so I can still hand wash when temps go below freezing.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 AM
esf
Originally Posted by dlsipe1
My best advice is to keep it out of a commercial car wash! Mine goes through only when weather is too crappy to hand wash. Then I always have to pull into nice heated garage and buffing all the marks out of it. Real PITA. Next time I build a home, the garage will have water source and a drain in the floor so I can still hand wash when temps go below freezing.
You should invest in some Optimum No Rinse (ONR). It's perfect for using inside a warm garage. Outside too for that matter.

Last edited by esf; 01-10-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:44 PM
With all these black cars and now add the 08 screw, you can see why I have developed a self inflicted case of OCD....

Zaino - 5 coats, good for a year+ and only use microfiber towels!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:21 PM
I to have a black tuck wihich is real difficult to keep clean & looking sweet. I just try to keep it polished so when I do wash it the grime comes off that much easier but realistically there ain't no easy answer to it. Reminds me I need to get the underside power washed to get all that damm salt off it!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
esf - I'll check that stuff out. Sometimes if it's not too dirty, a simple spray detailer will work but that won't usually do well after driving on nasty roads for a couple of weeks.

madinnc - nice collection!

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by MAD IN NC
With all these black cars and now add the 08 screw, you can see why I have developed a self inflicted case of OCD....

Zaino - 5 coats, good for a year+ and only use microfiber towels!

Nice cars.

You're right, after 5 coats of Zaino you can conceal a lot of imperfections.

Do you have any shots of that Mustang on the right under direct light or direct sun by chance?

Last edited by RollingRock; 01-10-2009 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn Mad, nice cars. I'll take one in the middle. $1000 down, $100 month sound OK? Oh and can you deliver please.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Zaino is a really nice product for protection, it is very durable. I personally don't think it adds a whole lot in the looks department. I prefer to use a sealant and then top it with a carnauba to give the paint that depth and wetness. I also think using Zaino is such a hassle. For me, there is just too much time involved. Before I get hassled, I used Zaino quite a bit several years ago.

You still have to do paint correction every once in a while to remove scratches and swirls. Properly prepping the paint is what is most important.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by Juztang
Zaino is a really nice product for protection, it is very durable. I personally don't think it adds a whole lot in the looks department. I also think using Zaino is such a hassle. For me, there is just too much time involved. Before I get hassled, I used Zaino quite a bit several years ago.

You still have to do paint correction every once in a while to remove scratches and swirls. Properly prepping the paint is what is most important.
I agree with everything Juztang- but, Zaino keeps me in the garage and away from the wife

Regarding prep - the clay bar is a must, first. What I really like about Zaino is the more coats you can lay on, the deeper it appears

Quick Reply: advice for black paint