Wax wont come completely off...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wax wont come completely off...

i just got done waxing my Black 02 with the mcquires deep crystal 3 step system. used all microfiber, looks good, but if you look at it closely, you can see where the wax didnt come completely off. looks darker in some spots. any ideas???

Old 01-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I dont know why it wouldnt come off but try putting a LITTLE (like a little mist) Quik detailer on the mf than try again, it should come off after that.

Originally Posted by KC02FX4
i just got done waxing my Black 02 with the mcquires deep crystal 3 step system. used all microfiber, looks good, but if you look at it closely, you can see where the wax didnt come completely off. looks darker in some spots. any ideas???

Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
You can also try using a microfiber towel after you are done, then park the truck in the sun. The wax should even out.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
.... park the truck in the sun? In my experiences that makes the wax HARDER to get off.

Try the QD...

just my .02 though.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally Posted by guitarman502
.... park the truck in the sun? In my experiences that makes the wax HARDER to get off.

Try the QD...

just my .02 though.
I think what jessiebouc is suggesting is smart and it's what a lot of us do. If you are working in a garage, take the truck/car outside to check your work if you are not using shop lights. It's a good habit to get into so you don't miss anything.

Also, there are some products out there that are ok to use in the direct sun.

Hope that helps

Old 01-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm... must just be the product's I've worked with.

didn't mean to come off as a butt or anything... long day.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the condition that you're describing is more called 'shadowing' more so than remaining wax that didn't come off... The reason you're seeing it is because your truck is likely 'dark' colored (I've never seen your vehicle).

This is a common occurance when the product is either applied too thick or when the product is removed prior to setting. Honestly though, I've had it happen when there's no apparent reason (with nearly every brand I've utilized, might I add)...

The quick fix is to **NOT** scrub those areas with a MF or anything like that but rather, allow the vehicle to sit in direct sunlight for a full day to 'bake'. This will cause it to diminish.

The next day, after cooking, wash again utilizing a very slightly larger volume of wash solution than what you normally use (per the directions). We're not trying to 'strip' off the wax but rather cause a slightly more caustic solution to reduce/diminish the shadowing.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
I think the condition that you're describing is more called 'shadowing' more so than remaining wax that didn't come off... The reason you're seeing it is because your truck is likely 'dark' colored (I've never seen your vehicle).

This is a common occurance when the product is either applied too thick or when the product is removed prior to setting. Honestly though, I've had it happen when there's no apparent reason (with nearly every brand I've utilized, might I add)...

The quick fix is to **NOT** scrub those areas with a MF or anything like that but rather, allow the vehicle to sit in direct sunlight for a full day to 'bake'. This will cause it to diminish.

The next day, after cooking, wash again utilizing a very slightly larger volume of wash solution than what you normally use (per the directions). We're not trying to 'strip' off the wax but rather cause a slightly more caustic solution to reduce/diminish the shadowing.
I have had this problem with Meguirs in the past mainly with Gold Class especially on black or dark blue vehicles. Try what RP said he definitely knows what he is talking about.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Sorry Rock, this happened to me on a black mazda I was working with and I thought it was wax that wasn't dry. I took an mf sprayed on some qd and buffed it lightly and found the wax thinning out and spreading a bit. ten minutes later it dried up . My fault for making my statement way to vague.
- Sal

Originally Posted by Rockpick

Old 01-14-2009, 02:57 PM
did you shake all of the bottles prior to use....some products seperate...no telling how long they sat on the self before you bought them or if they got cold/or froze here recently

Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sal150
Sorry Rock, this happened to me on a black mazda I was working with and I thought it was wax that wasn't dry. I took an mf sprayed on some qd and buffed it lightly and found the wax thinning out and spreading a bit. ten minutes later it dried up . My fault for making my statement way to vague.
- Sal

Sal - Sorry if it sounded like I was stabbing at you; I certainly didn't mean it that way. It's all good, man.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:05 AM
Are you sure they are not water spots? I had them bad when my truck was new, sitting on the car lot next to a busy highway for months probably. It's a constant viligance to keep them off around here, pine pollen, red clay dust and salt in the air constantly.

After a detail you could get the sun just right and see darker spots in the finish. Once I finally got all the water spots off they went away. Black is not easy to keep immaculate.

Rick

Quick Reply: Wax wont come completely off...