How difficult to painta vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How difficult to painta vehicle?

I'm looking at buying an 1988 Jeep Wrangler to be my project and restore some-what. I'd like to do the majority of the work my self. It will need a paint job I know. Assuming that there is no body damage and minor prep work needed, is a paint job something that could be tackled by someone like me?
I learn pretty easy and do my research before i tackle into something. Basically what i have found so far is the following steps:

Prep work- wash, strip wax, body repair, rust elimination
Primer- 2-3 thin coats allowin 5 minutes between each layer and 12 hours after last layer
Paint- thin coats. # depends on how I like? How long to dry in between coats and final coat?
Clearcoat- thin coats. How many and drying time?

Or should i just take it somewhere to get painted???

Old 01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Do you have all the tools(spray guns, compressors etc.) Where are you planning on painting it? There are alot of things the account for a good paint job. Weather, painting techniques and most importantly prep work.

Number of coats and time between coats all depends on type of paint and clear you are using, humidilty, and temperature. For example if you are painting in a spray booth with a heater you could have less time between each coat. There is alot to learn about painting correctly and there is alot of work to it. I have painted for the last 15 years seven of which was for Ford. Hope this helps, if you are a fast learner get on the internet and read read read or maybe find a local bodyshop willing to teach you something.

Last edited by Blang; 01-15-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 AM
Hello Btown Ford, I'm doing the same(wanting to paint my truck), I think I'll go with this website, hope this helps you, mark 123. EasyPaintYourCar.com

Quick Reply: How difficult to painta vehicle?