Going to buy a detailing kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to buy a detailing kit

The next purchase I'm making for my truck is a detailing kit that includes the G110. I have some pretty swirl marks that I'd like to get out and keep out. I'm sure this has been discussed before but I searched and came up with nothing too specific. Do you guys think this kit would be enough to remove the swirl marks? They are not that deep and I can take pictures if it's necessary to give a good answer.

I've read of other compounds (105/205/etc) but I don't really know a lot about them. All I know is the 205 is more abrasive than the 105. Do you think the 80 would suffice or are pics necessary to answer this? From what I've read the 80 takes out light swirls, so I'd assume it depends on my situation. I already have the other necessities for a hand detail (wash, clay, hd, etc). My main concern is doing away with the swirls. I am also planning on buying more pads and other accessories but was mainly curious about the 80.

My other question is about my wheels. I just got some black Monsters put on this past Saturday and would like to keep them clean and in top shape. Any tips here? I would really appreciate any help. If you have any other recommendations for my purchase please chime in.

Thanks in advance!
Matt

Old 01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd get the Express kit (kit#2). Instead of 80 get 205. You may find you need more cut so you might want to get some of the newly reforumlated 105. 105 is more abrasive than 205. You had it backwards. Definitely pick up more pads. I'm not familiar with Megs pads so I can't help there other than to tell you to get more. Make sure you have some APC+ for those tires and wheel wells. As for the wheels, just keep on them. Don't le them go uncleaned for too long. Use you're regular car wash soap to clean them. Either do the wheels first with a dedicated mitt and wash solution that you're not going to use on your truck, or do the wheels last with whatever soap you have left over form the car and a dedicted mitt. Since you're mainly concerned with swirls though, the 105-205 combo should take care of that. I like using a nice carnaube wax because they look better in my opinion. #26 should do the trick. Also, get plenty of microfiber towels if you don't already have them. The Rag Shack still has the Superfly's on sale and has a ton in stock. Don't miss out on the sale.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#80 is a great polish and should take care of most of your problems as long as you don't have any serious defects that need corrected. #80 is recommended for use with the Meguiar's polishing pad (the W8000 series pads).

Some people apply wax with their DA. If you're going to do this, you'll want to get the finishing pad (W9000 series).

You'll want to order a different pad for each polish or wax that you are going to apply. It's not a good idea to use the same pad for more than one polish or wax.

Of course there are more pad options out there, LC for example. But I have only ever used Meg's pads so I can't speak for the others.

I also haven't used 105 or 205 yet, but I hear good things. You'll get a great polish either way, whether you pick up the 80 series or the new 105/205.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a detailing kit