Saturday Details: Supra, Grand National, G37..Lots of Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saturday Details: Supra, Grand National, G37..Lots of Pictures

Headed down to south Austin yesterday to take care of a few cars belonging to a really nice UT Teacher that lives down there. He's had an amazing collection of cars in the past including a Supercharged Viper and 9 second pump gas Evo, and asked us to come down and clean up 3 of his current rides.

The Supra is a fully built motor and head, standalone EMS, fuel system, 74mm turbo, Veilside intake, new interior, etc etc. Very well put together and done car. The Grand National is also a fully built motor, head, trans, 70mm turbo, alcohol injection, near brand new interior, etc. The G37 of course is nearly brand new so nothing on that one yet

All 3 cars needed a LOT of TLC. It looked like all 3 had been washed with Dawn and dried with about 120 grit sandpaper, if they'd ever been washed. He bought the Supra and GN that way and wanted them to get back some of that shine he knew they had. For the Supra we used a combination of Menzerna SIP and Tropi-Care swirl cutter Plus to remove the swirls and light scratches and we stuck with the SIP on the GN as well. The G37 wasn't nearly as bad, so just the regular Tropi-Care swirl cutter was used to clean it up. We of course used the clay, washed each one twice, and gave it a nice coat of Tropi-Care Polish to top it off. All 3 cars came out looking fantastic and the owner was even surprised at just how much of the swirls and scratches we were able to remove

Note: Due to liability reasons, I don't detail engine bays, but because of the cars involved, I still had to include a few pictures of them

Supra Before

Supra After

Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Grand National Before

Grand National After

Old 02-01-2009, 10:37 AM
Unfortunately no Before shots of the G37 as it was getting later in the day, but being only a 8 month old car, it wasn't too bad. Just a fair amount of swirls, LOTS of nearly etched in bird poop, and some pretty good swirls.

G37 After

And then an engine bay shot of the Supra and Grand National

All in all an extremely exhausting day but well worth the trip and a pleasure to clean the cars. Hopefully we'll get another call to do some more of his cars later

Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics... *really* tough to do a 'perfection' job when you're doing three cars in one day on a winter (short hours) day.... looks like the read still has a tiny bit of surface defects (then again, maybe it's the angle/camera).

Have any direct sun shots of the Grand National or the L? Black is a beast (as we all know). Having used TC-9 several times with VERY mixed results, I bet you had to nearly stand on top of a rotary to pull the water spot etching out of the paint... TC-9 just doesn't cut all that great, IMO.

I'm the same way on engine bays with my shop... way too much liability...

Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow, three cars in one day is crazy rock, and then for them to come out looking like that is even more crazy.

I havent been on the fourm in a while but dont you have a KR.

Looks Great
-Sal

Old 02-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Thanks for sharing the pics... *really* tough to do a 'perfection' job when you're doing three cars in one day on a winter (short hours) day.... looks like the read still has a tiny bit of surface defects (then again, maybe it's the angle/camera).

Have any direct sun shots of the Grand National or the L? Black is a beast (as we all know). Having used TC-9 several times with VERY mixed results, I bet you had to nearly stand on top of a rotary to pull the water spot etching out of the paint... TC-9 just doesn't cut all that great, IMO.

I'm the same way on engine bays with my shop... way too much liability...
Yeah I'm not going for the drop dead perfect in every way detail. 90% of all my customers daily drive their cars and don't have the time or tools or energy to do it themselves. I could have easily spent all day on each one of these cars individually. But with me and 2 other people working on each car at a time, and 9 hours of total work, so figure 27 labor hours involved, I think they came out pretty damn good.

The TC-9 is a glass cleaner. Are you talking about the Swirl Cutter, the TC-8 I assume? That was actually a complaint I had and I spoke with the president of TC myself about it when I met him a year or so ago. Shortly thereafter is when the Swirl Cutter Plus came out and I've found that works a lot better. I still lean pretty heavily on the Menzerna products too. I've used a combination of all 3 at times for various cars and combined together they do work really well

I don't have any direct shots myself, but there were 3 other people including the owner taking pictures yesterday. I'll see what they got and see if I can find some more.

Oh and no KR for me. Just the grey FX4 seen in some of the pictures.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Moderator &

Whoops... I did mean TC-8.

Thanks for posting those pics... I haven't tried/utilized it in a couple of years as I've simply found products that worked much better for me. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Whoops... I did mean TC-8.

Thanks for posting those pics... I haven't tried/utilized it in a couple of years as I've simply found products that worked much better for me. Good luck!
Funny that you mention a couple years ago. In 2004, I won a Supra event with the Supra I had at the time and Tropi-Care was one of the sponsors and I won a box with a bunch of their product in it. I was NOT impressed in any way whatsoever and it flat out sucked. So when I was approached by one of the founding detailers a couple years ago to try it, I was extremely hesitant to say the least. They are definitely a small company with plenty of speedbumps in the road, but I'm getting more pleased as the months go by as they come up with new and improved stuff.

Whatever works for anyone is what you stick with no doubt! Stick with what you know and like and keep em looking good and pretty for a long LONG time to come

Old 02-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mk4......droooooooooooooooool =]

Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by TJ05FX4
Yeah I'm not going for the drop dead perfect in every way detail. 90% of all my customers daily drive their cars and don't have the time or tools or energy to do it themselves. I could have easily spent all day on each one of these cars individually. But with me and 2 other people working on each car at a time, and 9 hours of total work, so figure 27 labor hours involved, I think they came out pretty damn good.

I still lean pretty heavily on the Menzerna products too. I've used a combination of all 3 at times for various cars and combined together they do work really well
Hey TJ05Fx4, I am a little confused by this post. In a prior thread you said all you used was TC products. I guess you too are getting better products..... your quote below....

TJ05FX4
Before committing to any particular kind of product, I would look at the Tropi-Care line of car products and email Steve the owner and talk to him about your needs. He will talk your ear off at the very least

If you go with their Deluxe Detailing Kit you will get everything needed and then some to get that truck as clean as the day it rolled off the assembly line. And all for less than $150 bucks. http://www.tropi-care.com/category_s/4.htm

I have used nothing but their products on all of my near 500 exterior details done in the last 2 years. Not one complaint and they have used several chemists to allow usage of fewer products to achieve better results. A simple use of theirs or another Clay Bar, their Swirl Cutter, which will get 90% of all swirls and 99% of all water spots out, and then the final Polish/Wax, you will have a near perfect finish.

I have nothing against any of the Meguiars products or really anyone elses for that matter, but for a very nice balance of simplicity and effectiveness, it doesn't get much better than this. Hey at the very least you could just email them and see what they have to say. You will not be disappointed
Lots of good products out there, even Steve at TC knows it...he used to sell Optimum products too. He knows that not one line can do it all.

Gotta hand it to you, 3 in one day is a lot of work, I bet your drive home was a long one.

Last edited by RollingRock; 02-02-2009 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:18 PM
PA plates on the GN, they took a nice stroll for some detailing I see haha

Old 02-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Nice job, that guy has a nice collection.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

3 in one day very nice. Pretty sweet collection of performance.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:22 AM
If I did three in one day, several additional things would be involved. First, there would need to be a full 24 hours allowed. Second, as much as I hate them, mass quanitities of some sort of energy drink would be required. Finally, I'm pretty sure a Medivac helicopter would need to be factored in somewhere near the end. You're a better man than I, but nice work!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Nice work!! That is alot of detailing for one day.

Quick Reply: Saturday Details: Supra, Grand National, G37..Lots of Pictures