Anyone use touchless washes...ever?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
I use a touchless all winter long.
Do you keep your Lorado cover down in the wash? If so, have you ever had a problem with the water jets "rippling" your cover.

Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by bigsur
Do you keep your Lorado cover down in the wash? If so, have you ever had a problem with the water jets "rippling" your cover.
I havent seen any yet and I dont roll mine up I also had a Truxedo cover on my S-10 and I never had a problem with that one either.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:01 PM
esf
My trip to the self serve.

Here's a post I made on another forum. This was from a few weeks ago. It seems to be appropriate...

They want it to be over 40 degrees here today so I finally get a chance to wash my truck after months of not washing it. I plan on using ONR on it but with all the salt I wanted to pressure wash the major crap off. I go to the self serve and all the bays are taken. So I pull in behind what I figure is going to be an entertaining person to watch while I wait. When I pulled up he was rinsing his newer Toyota minivan with the rear hatch and passenger side door open. He closes everything upthen and proceeds to use the brush. However, he never stuck any money in and it's not foaming. Not a problem when there's foam left on the ground from the previous person. He uses the brush on the ground to pick up some foam and then goes at the minivan. He continues to do this for a good 10 minutes. Then he goes and gets quarters and starts with the brush again but with foam this time. After he runs out of time he puts the brush down and walks away from the self serve and to the gas station next door while the soap sits on his minivan. Apparently he didn't have any more singles to get more quarters. So he comes back, gets more quarters, and rinses the vehicle.

Meanwhile, it gets to packed I can't leave if I wanted to or even move to another bay. Next to me, a guy pulls up with an early 90s Honda Accord, dents all over it and cheap retarded headlights. He gets out while he waits for his bay to open and goes through the trunk. Takes out the spare and goes and lays it in the grass about 100 feet away. He then takes out a wash mitt. I figure, hey, he's atlaest going to try and do this somewhat right, right? Wrong. He pulls up into the bay and throws the mitt on the ground. He then pulls out another mitt and throws it on the ground next to it. He starts presoaking the car and he turns and soaks the mitts, blowing them across the ground until he corners them against the wall. Out of nowhere some guy walks up and grabs the brush and starts going at the car. This doesn't seem to be a problem for the owner. When the guy with the brush is done he leaves, walks away. The owner then rinses the car down, picks up the wash mitts that haven't been touched at all, throws them on the trunk and drives out of the bay and over to the vacuums. He then uses the soaking wet mitts to wipe the car down.

Now I finally get my chance as the guy with the minivan pulls out, leaving his floor matts hanging in the bay. Whatever. I put about $3.50 in quarters in and only use the Rinse feature. Meanwhile the guy comes back for his matts, apologizing for taking long and what not, and starts slamming his matts dry agains the bay wall. I tell the guy no problem, I mean hell it was good entertainment, and continue to rinse my truck. I look over and he's using a soaking wet, dirty, stained rag (old tshirt type) to wipe his minivan down. I couldn't wait to get out of there. I got about 7.5 minutes of rinsing and got the hell out of there.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:07 PM
LOL^

Not really on topic, but last weekend, I saw a woman wiping down the front of a Ferrari with a terry towel and Windex. It was sad.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Here's a post I made on another forum. This was from a few weeks ago. It seems to be appropriate...

I guess only in bethlehem. I use to camp in new bethlehem. Campground is Redbank park

Old 02-05-2009, 03:39 PM
i havent used one of those since i researched them a little more, they strip off the wax, can cause damage to paint, and this is what really got me to stop, most of them recycle the water and use acids and such to neutralize the water

Old 02-05-2009, 04:00 PM
esf
Originally Posted by 05extcabflare
I guess only in bethlehem. I use to camp in new bethlehem. Campground is Redbank park
New Bethlehem is about 270 miles/4.5 hours from Bethlehem. from the other side of the state!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
I do once in awhile, but mostly just pressure spray the underbody and body off to keep salt off.
same here. my local touchless wash is only a little bit higher than my truck and i dont like the high pressure that close to my paint, so usually ill rinse it off by hand

Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not in an area that's bad at all for road grime, but sometimes I just don't have time for a hand wash. What I do then is go to the self-serve wash and use a couple quarters and just the rinse to blast off as much crap as I can. Then I follow the regular rinsing up with the spot-free rinse. After the drive home the truck is generally dry and give it a one-over with a QD spray.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by esf
New Bethlehem is about 270 miles/4.5 hours from Bethlehem. from the other side of the state!
oops: wrong bethlehem. I didn't know there was a two.:o

Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 AM
esf
oops: wrong bethlehem. I didn't know there was a two.:o
Me neither! I never heard my town referred to as New Bethlehem so and I didn't know of any campgrounds around so I google mapped it.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I go out in shorts, a t-shirt and flip-flops to wash the car all winter long down here.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
LOL^

Not really on topic, but last weekend, I saw a woman wiping down the front of a Ferrari with a terry towel and Windex. It was sad.
Was she hot?

Old 02-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey 05extcabflare you ever come up my way to Cooksforest and camp?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:02 PM
I dont use the drive through ones with brushes cuz they leave little swirl marks all over your car. After you go through one get out (druing the day time) and glance over it looking for the swirls. I can see them and it bothers the hell out of me.... Maybe I just have super vision

Quick Reply: Anyone use touchless washes...ever?