New truck - when and what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New truck - when and what to do?

I just took delivery of a ’09 KR Screw. I have been lurking here off and on for the past few years but never considered doing any detailing until now.

I have read the stickys and a lot of the posts to get as much info as possible but still have some questions. I have used Megs products on my boat and have been very happy with the results. I have looked around and can find most of the stuff around town.

Leather – I traded in a ’97 Lariat w/180K and a split in the front seat. I want to avoid that happening again. Other than what Ford offers, what is best for the Chaparral leather?

Exterior – Have no idea where to start besides wash and NXT Tech Wax 2.0. This is basically what I got from Megs website. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have the tires and trim under control.

Thanks

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 PM
The real question is..."How much are you willing to spend?"

Old 02-06-2009, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Besides the sticky on this site this basic guide should help to get you started. Replace their products with whatever you prefer. Right-click the file and save it to open it (PDF).

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816

Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
i have two things for you, step one for outside and step two for inside

1. you wash it at home with approved method mentioned above (see sticky) no tunnel runner or foamy brush...if you follow this you should get about 8 months of never needing anything other than light clay and wax.....

2. keep any kids or food out of the inside and you will be good for years!

Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
esf
What are you trying to accomplish? Being brand new, providing the dealer didn't detail it for you before you took delivery, the paint is probably in pretty good shape. If the dealer did one of their famous courtesy wash and wax jobs then it might need some work to get it to a swirl free, non hologrammed finish. The key to then maintaining that is a good wash and dry routine. It all depends on how much work you're willing to put in and what kind of budget you're looking at. Since it's a brand new vehicle and it seems like you don't have the urge to do multiple vehicles with corrective steps you'd probably be well off to pick up some Megs over the counter products like ScratchX 2.0 and SwirlX should you need to remove swirls or other light imperfections. They're both designed to be used by hand. The first thing I would do is clay it. The truck is probably full of all types of contaminants from transportation. Pick up the Megs Smooth Surface Clay kit and follow the directions. Then, if it's defect free or good enough for you, then get a nice coat of wax on it. What are your plans for the tires, wheels, wheel wells and trim? You said you had those coverd but I was just curious what your methods are. As far as the leather, here's a link you should find very useful. KR Leather Care

Old 02-06-2009, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the CD section lvista.

Let me first echo what both Troberts and ESF have said. Great advice from 2 experienced detailers. (both are over the top OCD too if I must say)

I wouldn't be so quick to pick a product line until you experiment with several and get comfortable with what works for you. It's different for all of us and that is the great thing about detailing. More than 50 ways to skin the cat.

You are doing the right thing, take care of it from day one vs fix damage from someone else.

Rule number 1 in detailing: Proper preparation, technique and proper tools aways wins. Read the sticky to get the gist of this....but always remember the steps for proper prep. Lots of great products out there to pick from. From the OTC type to the over hyped lines to the boutique products. With anything, the tried and true methods are usually the best.

Congrats on your purchase and let us know if we can help.

RollingRock

Quick Reply: New truck - when and what to do?