Asphalt remover??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009 | 08:32 PM
|
Asphalt remover??

hey guys my brother drove through a place today that they were resurfacing and got the soft new asphalt stuck/dried onto his chrome wheels. Its not really tar, its actual small pieces of the hot asphalt that got slung onto the wheel and apparently stuck onto it due to the heat in it. He's tried wd-40 and a few other things to try to loosen it up /wipe it off with no luck.. You guys have any secrets or tips to get this off without ruining hiis chrome?

Old 02-11-2009 | 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by QIKSLVR
hey guys my brother drove through a place today that they were resurfacing and got the soft new asphalt stuck/dried onto his chrome wheels. Its not really tar, its actual small pieces of the hot asphalt that got slung onto the wheel and apparently stuck onto it due to the heat in it. He's tried wd-40 and a few other things to try to loosen it up /wipe it off with no luck.. You guys have any secrets or tips to get this off without ruining hiis chrome?
I haul asphalt among other things for a living, soke it in diesel. Gas will work too but the diesel will hang around a little longer. And I would say it not asphalt, its whats called "tack" its this black tar stuff that acks kinda like glue to seal the asphalt. They spray that down first and then lay the ashpalt. That crap is all over my truck....
And that is what all the trucks spay there beds down with...diesel

Last edited by bigdad8214; 02-11-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2009 | 09:41 PM
there is stuff called bug and tar remover...i used this on my fenders when i ran through some stuff like that. came off...took some time but i would suggest maybe picking some of it off with your finger nail first and then using the bug and tar remover to get the rest of it off. hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2009 | 10:17 PM
esf
Originally Posted by bigdad8214
And that is what all the trucks spay there beds down with...diesel
That's a no-no. Haha. Only soap from the plant for the body. Like that stuff ever does anything. Haha.

Anyway, if it was Tack he'd probably just think it's tar but he's saying it's actually small pieces so I'm assuming it's actually blacktop that's stuck to it. Diesel will work but I don't know how well the chrome is going to like it. I would definitely try picking off as much as you can with your fingernails or a plastic razor blade. Whatever remains should easily come off with diesel/kerosene or Naphtha works well, too. If you can find some Stoner's Tarminator, I would try that first before you go to something like diesel, kerosene or a strong chemical like Naphtha. I've used all of the above with success. If the Tarminator doesn't work and you have to resort to the others, I'd put it on a rag and wipe the rag on the wheel. Oh and do it on a cool wheel so you don't bake anything on to the wheels. They get hot.

Old 02-11-2009 | 10:25 PM
goof off, then wax it. it isnt tar for sure. tar is coal based and very brittle so it is rarey used. it is asphalt bitumen which is petrolium based and will be removed with goof off or any pertrolium product will do but goof off is a good product and easy on the paint.

diesel in the bed... Tisk tisk EPA EPA. we use an apshalt release agent like orange clean or the soap mentioned that you get from the plant

Old 02-11-2009 | 11:02 PM
Another vote for Tarminator.

Old 02-11-2009 | 11:37 PM
esf
Originally Posted by Juztang
Another vote for Tarminator.
There are a lot of different products similar. I only suggested this because it's readily availabe, over the counter. Nobody wants to pay shipping just to clean their wheels. Wait..... Didn't I just.....

Old 02-11-2009 | 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by esf
There are a lot of different products similar. I only suggested this because it's readily availabe, over the counter. Nobody wants to pay shipping just to clean their wheels. Wait..... Didn't I just.....
I love Tarminator, I use a ton of it. I go through a lot of bottles, this year I'm going to buy a 5 gallon jug of it. That will be so much more cost effective.

Old 02-11-2009 | 11:59 PM
esf
Originally Posted by Juztang
I love Tarminator, I use a ton of it. I go through a lot of bottles, this year I'm going to buy a 5 gallon jug of it. That will be so much more cost effective.
How does that work? A 5 gallon jug of product that's in an aerosol can? That's be a big aerosol can.

Old 02-12-2009 | 12:01 AM
It's not aerosol, it is in liquid form. I just have to get some chemical resistant bottles and sprayers for it. Tarminator can be pretty harsh on stuff.

Old 02-12-2009 | 12:03 AM
esf
I would imagine so. I mean, look at what it's intended to do? Haha.

Old 02-12-2009 | 11:58 AM
|
OK, thanks for the ideas , we'll geive them a try and see what works. I knew about the bug a tar remover but really wasnt sure what was safe to use on chrome...that was the biggest issue. And it definately isnt just tar, it's pieces of the crap....kinda like they use to just patch pot holes that slings all over your truck when you run through it. I really just wanted to make sure we didnt damage the wheel b/c the picking it off with fingernails isnt working, its gonna take a chemical but didnt know which ones were safe for chrome. thanks again

Old 02-13-2009 | 09:03 AM
We used wd-40

Old 02-13-2009 | 06:11 PM
I am not a fan of bug and tar, it does some serious scratching, Id let it soak in WD40

Old 02-13-2009 | 11:31 PM
glc
How about Meguiars Body Solvent?

Quick Reply: Asphalt remover??