oil all over car HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
oil all over car HELP

okay detailing experts kind long story but here it goes. Buddys 85 chevy truck was at exhaust shop getting inspection and exhaust well he was at work so i picked the truck up for him and coming home had the wife following me and apparently the pcv valve came undone and was blowing oil everywhere and with the wife being behind me the car got ALOT OF oil on it. Now i washed and waxed the car earlier today before this happened. We got home and went to the spray and wash and i bucket washed it and used the pressure sprayer and soaped again and used the sprayer again but there is still a greasy film on the car. What can i do wife is pissed and im pissed any info would be great. OH and the car is Black too. Its to dark to get any pics of it tonite

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
You might want to try some dish soap... but be aware, you'll need to give it a good waxing after that... as it really cleans the surface well.

I do this to my vehicles once a year to ensure they are clean.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 PM
what kind of dish soap? Ive got some Ajax super degreaser wonder if that would work.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:01 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, that's tough. I'm not really sure what I'd do in that situation. For the most part, whatever you do is going to remove very little and spread the rest around. I guess the first thing I would try is to mix a really strong wash solution up. Something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss can be mixed 1/2oz to every 1-2 gallons of water for normal wash or it can be mixed 2oz for every gallon of water for use as a surface cleanser. I would think using a few wash mitts and multiple buckets would be very beneficial. Once you get oil on the mitt it's going to be hard to just easily rinse it out in wash water and eventually the oil in the water will find it's way back on to the mitt. Probably would be a good idea to try to hose the mitt off frequently outside of the bucket to remove any excess oil. Keep the mitt(s) really loaded up with wash solution so you can continually try and break the oil down to remove it. you'll definitely want to use ATLEAST two buckets for this and I'd fill both with a strong wash solution but only use one to rinse the mitt out in (in addition to hosing the mitt) and one to put the semi clean mitt into to reload the mitt with the wash solution. If this isn't working, maybe try a srong mix of Dawn. I'm not a real big fan of dish detergent to clean a car but they are made to break down grease and oils so it might be an idea. If all else fails, you'll need some kind of solvent. You could try a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on the paint and wipe it off. If you have a paint shop nearby maybe you can pick up some DuPont Prepsol. Pour some onto a rag and wipe down the paint. I would try a strong wash solution first. If you feel you've already tried that, then move onto something stronger. In the mean time, maybe someone with experience removing oil will chime in. Incase you're wondering, the Isopropyl Alcohol and the Prepsol are safe to use. I've used both of them multiple times and they're both very common in detailing to removal any fillers that may remain on the paint after the polishing step to ensure all scratches have been removed and you have a completely clean surface for you wax to bond to. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
what kind of dish soap? Ive got some Ajax super degreaser wonder if that would work.
Nah... it might be too harsh... the Dollar store dish soaps work good... because they don't have fancy chemicals in them.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
what kind of dish soap? ....
'Dawn' has the best rep for breakdown.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Contributor
Originally Posted by Raoul
'Dawn' has the best rep for breakdown.
+1

Dawn is good too. I used it last time I did a thorough clean. But I've used Dollar store cheapy dish soap and it came out ok too.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:24 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Old 02-13-2009, 11:31 PM
esf
Originally Posted by glc
I didn't even think of that. That's another option. However, don't follow the directions as far as the dwell time. Well, try it first but if it doesn't work, a lot of people have really benefited by leaving it soak for much longer than that. Try and use it in the shade though if you're going to let it really soak on there. I've never tried it myself so I'm not sure, but you don't want to risk having it dry. If it dries, chances are it's going to stop working. Maybe glc has some experience with it that he can share.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by glc
that would be my choice. followed by a good wash with a good car soap like Meg's gold class, or Poor Boys Super Slick and Suds and a good wax.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Hmm, i learn something new every day. I've never seen that product before, and i need a good cleaner that removes tar and grime easily!

Old 02-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by esf
Man, that's tough. I'm not really sure what I'd do in that situation. For the most part, whatever you do is going to remove very little and spread the rest around. I guess the first thing I would try is to mix a really strong wash solution up. Something like Chemical Guys Citrus Wash and Gloss can be mixed 1/2oz to every 1-2 gallons of water for normal wash or it can be mixed 2oz for every gallon of water for use as a surface cleanser. I would think using a few wash mitts and multiple buckets would be very beneficial. Once you get oil on the mitt it's going to be hard to just easily rinse it out in wash water and eventually the oil in the water will find it's way back on to the mitt. Probably would be a good idea to try to hose the mitt off frequently outside of the bucket to remove any excess oil. Keep the mitt(s) really loaded up with wash solution so you can continually try and break the oil down to remove it. you'll definitely want to use ATLEAST two buckets for this and I'd fill both with a strong wash solution but only use one to rinse the mitt out in (in addition to hosing the mitt) and one to put the semi clean mitt into to reload the mitt with the wash solution. If this isn't working, maybe try a srong mix of Dawn. I'm not a real big fan of dish detergent to clean a car but they are made to break down grease and oils so it might be an idea. If all else fails, you'll need some kind of solvent. You could try a 50/50 mix of Isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and water in a spray bottle. Spray it on the paint and wipe it off. If you have a paint shop nearby maybe you can pick up some DuPont Prepsol. Pour some onto a rag and wipe down the paint. I would try a strong wash solution first. If you feel you've already tried that, then move onto something stronger. In the mean time, maybe someone with experience removing oil will chime in. Incase you're wondering, the Isopropyl Alcohol and the Prepsol are safe to use. I've used both of them multiple times and they're both very common in detailing to removal any fillers that may remain on the paint after the polishing step to ensure all scratches have been removed and you have a completely clean surface for you wax to bond to. Good luck.
Thanks man i used the rubbing alcohol and it worked great!! Car is back to looking good again

Old 02-16-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Think that would be good for exhaust tips? I have tar bits and tire rubber on mine but its been too cold & muddy to be able to work on the truck, looking for what to use for this spring.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Think that would be good for exhaust tips? I have tar bits and tire rubber on mine but its been too cold & muddy to be able to work on the truck, looking for what to use for this spring.
I use it on my tips all the time.

Quick Reply: oil all over car HELP