Detailing Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sun sun sun....we need sun

Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
there should be a sticky up top....you brag on your sheet you better bring your "a" game because your card will be pulled, your number will be called, and your cage will be rattled

Old 02-17-2009, 11:58 PM
Hey pro detailer guy, where are the sun shots? My $350 Cavalier looks good in the shade too.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by cadkins09
eh. not really. look at pic 17 of 22 in my pic's REMEMBER THIS PEOPLE IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 YEARS!
Whats pics? Ive been detailing for a few years now only on my cars/trucks and family vehicles and learned alot from this site. At best I would call my self a novist. I tried Ice and wasnt a fan. My sig picture was done with a sears buffing wheel and NXT tech wax. But now I have the G100 for some time and get far better results. Like stated above technique has to do a lot with a detail. TW has no/little corrective propertys and will only cover parts that need repair. I have achieved a great shine with just a wash and some quick detailer spray. I would have said nothing about you being a detailer if you would have left out the TW comment.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Smile

Rolling Rock, thanks for the help. To answer your question my paint is in very good shape with just some minor spiderwebbing (swirls) due to general washing and the elements. I don't have any major defects. I will take some pictures when the weather gets better. I have read many good things about m101 but have heard you need a DA to apply to get good results. Will m101 work if I do it by hand? I am just looking for the best combination that will give me great protection and a deep wet look at the same time. I have heard many recommend Megs#80 but was thinking of using Autoglym Resin Polish because I have heard good things about it correcting minor swirls. If they are comparable I will just go ahead and use the #80. If I go the zaino route I would use the ZPC for swirls. As far as zaino goes, I have heard several others say it has a seran wrap look and that is not the look I want especially with black paint. Do you have any other products you recommend for black paint in my situation? Thanks to all I appreciate the help.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:58 PM
black fx4;3595200]Rolling Rock, thanks for the help. To answer your question my paint is in very good shape with just some minor spiderwebbing (swirls) due to general washing and the elements. I don't have any major defects. I will take some pictures when the weather gets better. I have read many good things about m101 but have heard you need a DA to apply to get good results. Will m101 work if I do it by hand? I am just looking for the best combination that will give me great protection and a deep wet look at the same time. I have heard many recommend Megs#80 but was thinking of using Autoglym Resin Polish because I have heard good things about it correcting minor swirls. If they are comparable I will just go ahead and use the #80. If I go the zaino route I would use the ZPC for swirls. As far as zaino goes, I have heard several others say it has a seran wrap look and that is not the look I want especially with black paint. Do you have any other products you recommend for black paint in my situation? Thanks to all I appreciate the help.
To really correct even the minor work it would be best to use a machine. However, there are products out there that do a good job of concealing them rather than fixing them. M80 is pretty good but M205 is so much better in my opinion (they both have a cut level of 4) but M205 just seems to do a better job. I never had good luck with M80. Until you get a machine you may be better off concealing or at least making them look more presentable with Zainio products...that is if you don't mind layer after layer.

For a small investment you could get a package deal from say ADS and the likes....after spending all that money with Zaino you could have bought a DA and some pads with products.

In fact, not to take business away from F150ol sponsors, but you can search Ebay for PC7424's shipped for 110 or less.

Get a few pads 10 bucks each, grab some product M105 and M205....

Keep this in mind too. The process inwhich to corect should always be something to this affect:

Wash (2 bucket method)
Clay, prep suraface
polish/correct
Seal (optional step)
LSP (Last Step Product, AKA wax or sealer, see above)

If you wanted to get crazy...you could
Wash
Clay
correct
polish
burnish
LSP which is a combo of Wax/Sealer

A good product to try if you have very minor swirling would be something like Optimum Poli-Seal, its an AIO product and it works great but it won't correct much. It would be good to use that after you corrected on a prior detail. Top that off with Optiseal and you are good to go.

Net is which you can tell by my response is that there are MANY, MANY ways to go about this. Using something like TW Ice isn't going to solve your issues.

It's a lot to take in but then again, its called detailing not washing!

RR

EDIT: I didn't see your product recomendations

For Black and correction this is what I would use if it were me: (This is just one way to do this)
Wash
Clay, Blue Megs Clay
Correct with M105 or M205 or PB SSR2, SSR1 depending on the amount needed
Polish with M205 or PB PP
Glaze with PB Black Hole (also has concealing property to it) or see below
Burnish the surface with Menzerna 106FF
Web Obsession for the Wax, 3 coats
Seal with Opti-seal

The above is way overkill but wanted to give you an idea what I would do.

Last edited by RollingRock; 02-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
eh. not really. look at pic 17 of 22 in my pic's REMEMBER THIS PEOPLE IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 YEARS!
You're a senior in high school, that hardly qualifies you as a professional detailer like you made yourself out to be. Here's another pic from his gallery:

That said, cut the kid a little slack, afterall, he is just a kid.

haha well because it really really really works. this is the ONLY Turtle wax product i use the other products are crap
Just curious as to what else you've used?

I consider myself capable of detailing my truck, or even a friends, hardly a professional though. This is what I consider shiny, but doesn't say squat about my detailing skills.

This tells a better story.
Before:

After:

To the OP: I use Adams Polishes and am happy with the results. My truck is also an "outside" truck

- NCSU

Old 02-18-2009, 04:23 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
You're a senior in high school, that hardly qualifies you as a professional detailer like you made yourself out to be. Here's another pic from his gallery:

That said, cut the kid a little slack, afterall, he is just a kid.

Just curious as to what else you've used?

I consider myself capable of detailing my truck, or even a friends, hardly a professional though. This is what I consider shiny, but doesn't say squat about my detailing skills.

This tells a better story.
Before:

After:

To the OP: I use Adams Polishes and am happy with the results. My truck is also an "outside" truck

- NCSU
wow, very impressed by stealing my pictures! i read all the stuff that it contains including all my detailing products and stuff like "Auto Art" and it said it would not hurt the paint if washed off within 24 hours. and i made sure it was washed off in 24 hours. and im 19 years old, i dont recall 18+ yrs. old being classified as a kid. and can i not get excited that im a sr and graduating this year? look people get off my freaking case! just cause i have really good feedback from my customers about the wax doesnt mean people getting all pissed about me using Turtle Wax Ice w/ Clay. ive used this stuff on Caddilacs, Infiniti's, BMW's, Benz's, and ALOT of upscale cars and it really works. poeple just off my case about this. i would snap some sun shots but currently its overcast.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow, very impressed by stealing my pictures! i read all the stuff that it contains including all my detailing products and stuff like "Auto Art" and it said it would not hurt the paint if washed off within 24 hours. and i made sure it was washed off in 24 hours. and im 19 years old, i dont recall 18+ yrs. old being classified as a kid. and can i not get excited that im a sr and graduating this year? look people get off my freaking case! just cause i have really good feedback from my customers about the wax doesnt mean people getting all pissed about me using Turtle Wax Ice w/ Clay. ive used this stuff on Caddilacs, Infiniti's, BMW's, Benz's, and ALOT of upscale cars and it really works. poeple just off my case about this. i would snap some sun shots but currently its overcast.
Woah now calm down there buddy! I didn't steal anything, you posted those pictures in your gallery for all to see. I was only posting that to show that you are a high schooler, thats all. Nothing wrong with being excited to be a senior.

For the record, you are still a kid. Until you're out of school/college, are working for a living, paying for everything on your own, housing, food, bills, insurance, medical, etc, etc are you a kid. Nothing wrong with that by any means, just don't get too big for your britches. Your reaction here kinda shows your level of maturity though. I've known plenty of grown men who still act like 'kids'.

Now I don't mean any offense towards you, but alot of people who pay others to details their vehicles don't know very much about detailing in general. So just because they're happy right after you finish doesn't really mean a whole lot. I'll listen to the guys around here who have been detailing longer than you have been sucking oxygen.

- NCSU

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 02-18-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I sent you a PM to offer you some friendly advice. You decided not to take it.

That's too bad...you have a lot of potential but until you get that chip off your shoulder you aren't going to learn much. Good luck....

Old 02-18-2009, 04:50 PM
esf
Relax man. I can probably speak for most in this thread, but will only speak for myself. Most of what you're reading here isn't meant to be a direct shot at you. Quite the opposite. You'll find (over time) that most of the people here are actually being sincere and trying to help you further your skills. Things are often taken the wrong way on the internet. Like I said, I'm speaking for myself mostly but there are others in this thread that I would put money on that they feel the same way. Ofcourse, there are exceptions to every rule. Just remember, there's always room for improvement.

All that said, what other products do you use? You said you use Ice w/clay? I don't know anything really about TW Ice. Do you just use the wax? What do you use for correcting swirls and scratches?

Don't be too stubborn in your ways. Keep your mind open to what others have to say. The worst that you can come out of it with is nothing with the best being an entirely new and better way of doing something that only benefits you and your customers. Just keep the attitude in check, man. There's no need for it.

Edit:

I wanted to add to what I said. We all started somewhere. I've used TW, then I interchanged between OTC Meguiars and Mothers and on to Adam's Polishes from there. I was really happy with Adam's Polishes and didn't want to hear too much of what others were using. After I started seeing what results others were getting with certain things, I decided to sit back and listen to what they had to say and soak up as much information as possible. Which is what I'm still doing now. I'm trying to take in everything I can from anyone who is willing to share.

On a side note, you guys are fast. I think I take too long to think about what I want to say and type it all out because when I started typing this, there weren't any responses after his.

Last edited by esf; 02-18-2009 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Relax man. I can probably speak for most in this thread, but will only speak for myself. Most of what you're reading here isn't meant to be a direct shot at you. Quite the opposite. You'll find (over time) that most of the people here are actually being sincere and trying to help you further your skills. Things are often taken the wrong way on the internet. Like I said, I'm speaking for myself mostly but there are others in this thread that I would put money on that they feel the same way. Ofcourse, there are exceptions to every rule. Just remember, there's always room for improvement.

All that said, what other products do you use? You said you use Ice w/clay? I don't know anything really about TW Ice. Do you just use the wax? What do you use for correcting swirls and scratches?

Don't be too stubborn in your ways. Keep your mind open to what others have to say. The worst that you can come out of it with is nothing with the best being an entirely new and better way of doing something that only benefits you and your customers. Just keep the attitude in check, man. There's no need for it.

Well said, this thread has reminded me of why I stopped posting here.

LOL

Old 02-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by esf

Edit:

I wanted to add to what I said. We all started somewhere. I've used TW, then I interchanged between OTC Meguiars and Mothers and on to Adam's Polishes from there. I was really happy with Adam's Polishes and didn't want to hear too much of what others were using. After I started seeing what results others were getting with certain things, I decided to sit back and listen to what they had to say and soak up as much information as possible. Which is what I'm still doing now. I'm trying to take in everything I can from anyone who is willing to share.

On a side note, you guys are fast. I think I take too long to think about what I want to say and type it all out because when I started typing this, there weren't any responses after his.
i think your the only one i like in this thread. look i've just had "one of those days" the weather here is crap, havnt washed ANY cars cause this stupid weather. hey, NCSU_05_FX4 i NEVER said i am a "professonal" that i can recall, i have complemented on you truck before and you think im some im-mature senior. HELL YEA i pay for MOST of my stuff not all. but this business pays. try $1,175 a month for a high School senior. thats why im in this business. because i enjoy it and it pays.and when i say ive been in this business for the past 3 years, IM NOT BRAGGING AND NOT SAYING IM BETTER THAN YOU! Im just trying to state a point that i have have used MANY waxs and this is the only one i like. what is soooooooo wrong about Turtle Wax Ice? thats the only Turtle Wax product i like and use. i have tried them all. and this is the one i like and it doesnt get that white residue on the textured trim like the others do. if any one wants to know what i use ask me on my page and i will send a list. and its 10:15 p.m. there is no sun. i will as soon as i can. please dont bitch at me just cause i use 1 Turtle Wax product thats so rediculus.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:53 PM
i think your the only one i like in this thread. look i've just had "one of those days" the weather here is crap, havnt washed ANY cars cause this stupid weather. hey, NCSU_05_FX4 i NEVER said i am a "professonal" that i can recall, i have complemented on you truck before and you think im some im-mature senior. HELL YEA i pay for MOST of my stuff not all. but this business pays. try $1,175 a month for a high School senior. thats why im in this business. because i enjoy it and it pays.and when i say ive been in this business for the past 3 years, IM NOT BRAGGING AND NOT SAYING IM BETTER THAN YOU! Im just trying to state a point that i have have used MANY waxs and this is the only one i like. what is soooooooo wrong about Turtle Wax Ice? thats the only Turtle Wax product i like and use. i have tried them all. and this is the one i like and it doesnt get that white residue on the textured trim like the others do. if any one wants to know what i use ask me on my page and i will send a list. and its 10:15 p.m. there is no sun. i will as soon as i can. please dont bitch at me just cause i use 1 Turtle Wax product thats so rediculus.
Please pay attention because this is comment is not directed to you personally, or meant as a comment about your detailing ability.

TW Ice sucks. it is a piece of crap product that provides decent looks and ZERO protection, and manages to do both for a very, very short period of time.

The reason I asked you initially what you used ICE was to provide you with a little helpful guidance to point you towards a better product. One that will provide your customers with a better end result, and you with a better reputation.

You said you have tried other waxes. What ones? Have you tried anything that doesn't come from Walmart?

Someone else asked above .. What do you use for defect removal?

You have a choice here in this thread. continue to be defensive with a chip on your shoulder, or relax, answer my questions, and maybe learn a little bit, which would help you, your customers, and your bottom line.

As I said before .. there are over 100 products better than TW Ice available to you. some of them can even be purchased at Walmart.

this forum is a great place to learn, if you have an open mind, and are willing to listen to people with 10+ times the experience you have.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 PM
To the OP - has any of this answered your question?

Quick Reply: Detailing Advice??