Detailing Advice??

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing Advice??

I was wondering what would be the best application for black paint on my truck that is outside all the time. I was wondering which would be the best as far as giving me a deep wet look. I was thinking about the following combination:

Autoglym Super Resin Polish
NXT 2.0
Megs #26
-use optimum spray wax as a boost in between washes

OR

Zaino Products
zpc-paint cleaner
z5 polish
z2 polish
z8 detailer- in between coats and washes

So in your opinion, if money were not a factor which combination would give me the best deep wet look for black paint? Or any other combinations you have tried that would work. Thanks for the input, I am quickly becoming OCD over this detailing stuff.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:31 PM
i am a mobile car detailer and i use Ice w/ clay. like the Turtle Wax Ice with Clay. you can get it at wal mart, target etc.. its works really good and it gets all the little imperfections that you cant see. it makes if feel like your truck has the showroom paint very smooth when used often.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
I have a 2004 with med wedgewood blue paint I had spider webs in the paint I used megs#80 nxt2.0 Waited 24 hrs and topped it off with megs #26 I had great results If you do a search on spider webs in paint there will be before and after pics in that thread Hope this will help you out

Old 02-16-2009, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by cadkins09
i am a mobile car detailer and i use Ice w/ clay. like the Turtle Wax Ice with Clay. you can get it at wal mart, target etc.. its works really good and it gets all the little imperfections that you cant see. it makes if feel like your truck has the showroom paint very smooth when used often.
Please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you use Turtle Wax?

there are probably 100 products that perform better and last longer. I am curious why you chose to use TW Ice.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Gipraw

there are probably 100 products that perform better and last longer. I am curious why you chose to use TW Ice.
I was thinking the samething, if I paid a detailer to detail my truck or car and I saw them using TW they would be told to leave.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Old 02-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
My thoughts exactly. I actualy like NXT 2.0 topped with Meg's #16 which is what I did on my dads 03 Eddie Bauer Expy that was black. I have a new combo that I am really itching to try on my truck this spring Collinite IW845 topped with Wet Obsession.

Last edited by dsq3973; 02-17-2009 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:31 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I was thinking the samething, if I paid a detailer to detail my truck or car and I saw them using TW they would be told to leave.
I have mixed feelings about this. The end result is more in the technique than the products. A skilled detailer can do a hell of a job with just about any product out there. However, if I'm paying the big bucks for a great detail, I do expect that "professional" products be used. If I'm paying 50 bucks for a "wash and wax", Turtle Wax is fine by me as long as it's properly used. However, someone that calls himself a "mobile detailer" and uses TW is kinda suspect in my eyes.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I have mixed feelings about this. The end result is more in the technique than the products. A skilled detailer can do a hell of a job with just about any product out there. However, if I'm paying the big bucks for a great detail, I do expect that "professional" products be used. If I'm paying 50 bucks for a "wash and wax", Turtle Wax is fine by me as long as it's properly used. However, someone that calls himself a "mobile detailer" and uses TW is kinda suspect in my eyes.
Basicly what im getting at. If you are going to use TW, you might as well use a quick/spray on detailer and get the same results. If im paying a detailer to detail my truck I expect the protection to last more then a few days.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:51 PM

Old 02-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw

haha well because it really really really works. this is the ONLY Turtle wax product i use the other products are crap

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 PM
just take a peek at my truck. and if you dont tell me it has a nice shine to it. then you must be blind. on picture 17 of 22.

Last edited by cadkins09; 02-17-2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Exclamation

Basicly what im getting at. If you are going to use TW, you might as well use a quick/spray on detailer and get the same results. If im paying a detailer to detail my truck I expect the protection to last more then a few days.
eh. not really. look at pic 17 of 22 in my pic's REMEMBER THIS PEOPLE IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 YEARS!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 PM
esf
What other products do you use other than Ice? I'm not trying to be a jerk or knock the products you use. I've never used Ice. It could be a good product.

Hopefully you aren't trying to impress anyone with your comment about doing this for 3 years. There are guys who have been at this much longer on here. Not to insult you either, but I wasn't overly impressed with that picture. I think all of us have reflecto shots that make it look like we're professional detailers. Got example,

Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
eh. not really. look at pic 17 of 22 in my pic's REMEMBER THIS PEOPLE IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR 3 YEARS!
Not to bag on you but reflection shots show absolutely nothing.

Case in point.

How does this look? Great reflection don't you think?

What it really looks like in direct sun. Wow, that is pretty bad.

After, CORRECTION....

Got any photos of your work in the direct sun?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to the thread, to the OP, if you would like to discuss your situation in more detail, you can PM several members here.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Zainio line, it is great for gloss, protection and has some great defect concealing property to it but very limited amount of correction ability.

If I were you with your truck and being it is black, I would try something more like M105 and M205 with a DA. But it is kind of hard to tell you what exactly to do with out seeing photos of what you are working with. It would also help to have direct shots under shop lights or in the sun so we can see the condition of the clear. It could be simple micro marring or or deeper spiderwebbing due to improper washing/drying and well...use.

If money wasn't an issue, lets reset the discussion with the proper tools...doing this by hand won't work at all if you have true correction needs.

what is your budget? Lets start there.

Cheers

RR

Last edited by RollingRock; 02-17-2009 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Detailing Advice??