Why microfiber over chamois or water blade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009 | 01:49 PM
esf
Originally Posted by rch10007
If you are dragging dirt and contaminants with the chamois AFTER you wash the truck, you're gonna need need than a MF. Perhaps and lesson in washing your vehicle.
There's more to it than that. Dirt can become embeded in the paint and during the drying process you can move that embeded dirt across the paint scratching and swirling it. Wash soap contains lubricants that prevent some of the more embeded dirt from coming loose. While drying, there's little to no lubricant to prevent that so you end up dragging it. Even people with the best of wash techniques scratch and swirl their finish during the drying process. Clay is the best way to remove the embeded contaminants and I don't know anyone that clays their vehicle during every wash.

Old 02-19-2009 | 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by rch10007
If you are dragging dirt and contaminants with the chamois AFTER you wash the truck, you're gonna need need than a MF. Perhaps and lesson in washing your vehicle.
Since I obviously don't know what I am doing .. please enlighten me with your super washing method.

I would love to post a really smart *** remark right now .. but I won't.

and to think that I actually missed this forum a little bit.

Here I will put it this way .. Some people on this forum offer advice because they enjoy what they do, and want to pass the knowledge they have gained from years of experience working on thousands of vehicles. free advice, I might add.

Take it or leave it. I don't care .. but just because something works for you doesn't mean it works for others, or is the correct way, or safest way to do it ..

and furthermore, I promise you that if you truly don't see a need, it is because you aren't looking hard enough, or you don't care .. both of which are fine, as it is your vehicle .. but when you give advice to others, it helps if that advice is correct.

just my two cents .. now I am off to watch one of the Adam's polish videos about how to wash my car, because apparently, I don't know what I am doing.

Old 02-19-2009 | 02:20 PM
I'm a bit of a minority when it comes to drying. I use the Aquadry towel. More like a synthetic chamois than anything else. It holds so much water and wrings out so well that it's wonderful for blotting dry. Then I touch up with a leaf blower. Be it driveway angle or just plain user error I've never been able to get sheeting to work on my truck consistantly, so I went back to what I had done before.

Old 02-19-2009 | 02:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor

How about cloth baby diapers? Ok to use?

Old 02-19-2009 | 02:30 PM
esf
Hey Gip, maybe you've stated how you feel on this before and I just don't remember so I'll ask again. What's your take on using a quick detailer like #34 during the drying process? I'll admit that I struggle with blotting dry. I use #34 as an example because if I'm going to be doing and corrective steps, I don't want to use something like OCW that will leave protection behind and possibly interfere with the polishes ability to do it's job. #34 to my knowledge is body shop safe and paintable but still provides lubrication to help avoid inducing any marring. I'f I'm simply doing a routine wash and wax I will use OCW during the drying process sometimes.

Old 02-19-2009 | 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Hey Gip, maybe you've stated how you feel on this before and I just don't remember so I'll ask again. What's your take on using a quick detailer like #34 during the drying process? I'll admit that I struggle with blotting dry. I use #34 as an example because if I'm going to be doing and corrective steps, I don't want to use something like OCW that will leave protection behind and possibly interfere with the polishes ability to do it's job. #34 to my knowledge is body shop safe and paintable but still provides lubrication to help avoid inducing any marring. I'f I'm simply doing a routine wash and wax I will use OCW during the drying process sometimes.

I do that a lot .. it helps remove the occasional water spot, and improves the overall process if you are wiping dry.

Quick Reply: Why microfiber over chamois or water blade?