Why microfiber over chamois or water blade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009 | 02:46 PM
|
Why microfiber over chamois or water blade?

I know the microfiber cloth is the recommended method for drying your vehicle, but I'm curious why.

I would figure any dirt particles missed while washing it could get caught in it and be continually dragged.

I would think it would retain more particles than a chamois - leather or synthetic (absorber).

I've seen the California Water Blade, and I'd think with such a thin edge, there may be less potential to retain any dirt on that than either of the other two.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2009 | 02:50 PM
i just bought a new chamois. my dad uses it on his pontiac that the paints near perfect on and it doesnt put any new scratches in it.

Old 02-18-2009 | 03:47 PM
esf
Well, first off all, the proper way to dry a vehicle starts with the sheeting method. Disconnect the hose nozzle and let the water run straight from the hose onto the paint starting from the top and working down, allowing it to sheet off. That will remove the bulk of the water. The microfiber towel take care of the rest of what's left on the imediate surface. And you'll want to pat the surface dry and not drag anything across the paint. The water blade will drag anything left on the paint inducing scratches. The chamois doesn't allow anywhere for the trapped remaining dirt to go. A microfiber towel is soft enough to not scratch paint, gives dirt someplace to go so it's not continuously touching the paint and they hold a lot of water.

Old 02-18-2009 | 05:45 PM
so should i keep using a chamois or switch to getting a large microfiber towel?

Old 02-18-2009 | 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by 4wd150
so should i keep using a chamois or switch to getting a large microfiber towel?
I don't recommend using chamois at all, Like ESF said, they just move dirt and contaminants across the paint. You use a large microfiber towel or use a few smaller ones. I like to use one towel for the first pass and then take another for the final pass, the way you won't get any streaking.

Old 02-18-2009 | 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Juztang
I don't recommend using chamois at all, Like ESF said, they just move dirt and contaminants across the paint. You use a large microfiber towel or use a few smaller ones. I like to use one towel for the first pass and then take another for the final pass, the way you won't get any streaking.
What MF's would you recommend for the first and second pass? How big of an MF? 16X24 or bigger?

Old 02-18-2009 | 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by RollingRock
What MF's would you recommend for the first and second pass? How big of an MF? 16X24 or bigger?
I normally use a couple of 16x16 or 16x24. Every once in a while I will use a 24x32 and use a smaller towel for the second pass.

Old 02-18-2009 | 08:08 PM
esf can I see a pic of these Microfibers that your using, thanks

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:16 PM
I use justin's 24x36 amazing dryer most of the time

Or sometimes a cobra guzzler but they're expensive so eh.

I've also got 3-4 different waffe weaves but i don't really care for them.

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:28 PM
esf
Awhile ago I had ordered some towels from Pakshak and I've been really happy with them. HOWEVER, since then, I've had the chance to try out the Superfly's from The Rag Shack and I like these a bit more. I just have so many of the Pakshak towels that I can't really justify get anymore microfibers right now or I'd be all over the Superflys. Besides, if I spend all my money on microfibers, how will I ever fund my addiction to LSPs? I have been itching to try out The Rag Shack Gladiator towel but again, I have plenty. The Gladiator as well as the **** Rag are on sale at The Rag Shack right now. I can get you a link to the PakShak towels if you want but I recommend the Superflys.

Haha. I re-read that and it confuses even me. Pakshak, rag shack, **** rag...

Last edited by esf; 02-18-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2009 | 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by esf
Awhile ago I had ordered some towels from Pakshak and I've been really happy with them. HOWEVER, since then, I've had the chance to try out the Superfly's from The Rag Shack and I like these a bit more. I just have so many of the Pakshak towels that I can't really justify get anymore microfibers right now or I'd be all over the Superflys. I have been itching to try out The Rag Shack Gladiator towel but again, I have plenty. The Gladiator as well as the **** Rag are on sale at The Rag Shack right now. I can get you a link to the PakShak towels if you want but I recommend the Superflys.

Haha. I re-read that and it confuses even me. Pakshak, rag shack, **** rag...
I absolutely love my gladiators. They're one of my favorite towels i have.

The superflys are all right, i use them for wiping polish and stuff off. They've also done good cleaning glass in my experience.

They're so cheap it's kind of hard not to like them

Old 02-19-2009 | 09:18 AM
|
Thanks for the informative responses!

I guess you guys wash and reuse them? How do you know when it's time to retire a towel - especially one used for buffing off wax and polish?

Thanks for the link to the Rag Shack, esf !

Last edited by rpxr400; 02-19-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 02-19-2009 | 09:28 AM
I've been using the same chamois since I was 16 years old. I don't think it has been dry since I bought it! Never had any issues with it. I thought about switching to a MF but honestly, I don't see a need.

Old 02-19-2009 | 12:04 PM
the reason that using a chamois or a water blade can be bad for the paint is the lack of nap. if there is type of dirt or contaminant left on the paint, it will get pulled across the paint, potentially causing damage.

the best, safest way to dry is to blot. blotting doesn't work with a chamois or a water blade.

Old 02-19-2009 | 01:28 PM
If you are dragging dirt and contaminants with the chamois AFTER you wash the truck, you're gonna need need than a MF. Perhaps and lesson in washing your vehicle.

Quick Reply: Why microfiber over chamois or water blade?