Finally got around to some corrective work. (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Finally got around to some corrective work. (pics)

Also posted this over at AdamsForums.com.
Following up on this:
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459

Spring break finally rolled around and I did a little paint correction. I managed to find a bit of time between projects and homework so graciously assigned by professors over break. It rained yesterday so I had to wait for it to stop before I could wash and clay it. Got finished claying around 4 am and managed to find a little bit of sleep. Woke up today, chugged some coffee, and dressed the trim/tires, polished, waxed, etc...

This was my main goal today--swirl removal:

Since it rained I had a little fun before the detail....so this is what I had to start with:

And this is what I ended up with after a lot of sweat and some sore arms:

(Did a quick interior job, too. The white specks on the close-ups/reflectos are in the paint.)

Props to Adam for some great products. I love the deep shine! I still have some deeper scratches to remove since this is my daily driver, but those can wait for when I have a lot of free time. I'm extremely satisfied and happy that my truck now looks like she should. Nothing but hand-washing with proper technique from now on. I'm in the process of buying some ptm fender flares because the ones I have now are just spray-painted to match so they don't take dressing too well.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:21 PM
esf
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great. I'm assuming you used Adam's products but what was your process?

Old 03-17-2009, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by esf
Looks great. I'm assuming you used Adam's products but what was your process?
Thank you. I split it up and washed and clayed last night so I didn't have to do it all in one day. I used all Adam's stuff for the corrective work. Had previously done a test section to see what it would take to get the majority of swirls out.

Process (on PC w/occasional spritz of detail spray for lubrication):
*Swirl&Haze Remover on Orange cutting pad (5500 opm--several minutes per panel)
*Fine Machine Polish/Swirl&Haze Remover 50/50 on Orange cutting pad (5500 opm--1-2 minutes per panel)
*Fine Machine Polish on White polishing pad (5000 opm--several minutes per panel)
*Wipe off SHR/Polish
*Machine SuperWax on Black waxing pad (2000 opm--spread around evenly)
*While drying dress the trim/tires/cleaned windows
*Final wipe off

Last edited by mblouir; 03-17-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 PM
mblouir

Well done...very nice job and nice looking ride you have.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 AM
That's a nice looking Black Truck!

I break my truck and tires up into sections.
Good work doing it all in one day including the photos.
I didn't know much about Adams other than what I have read. Your work is a very good advertisement. One day im going to have to look into their product line.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Nice Work!

99% sure Adam's is relabeled from the big company as far as i can remember

I have the entire line sitting on myshelf unopened

Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM

Thanks guys. 1bad if you mean the chemical guys ordeal I have seen the same thing floating around. Found this not too long ago:
http://my.is/forums/f171/adams-stuff...oducts-349014/

Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice work, can I drop mine off in the morning for a detail please...............

Old 03-18-2009, 01:47 PM
esf
Originally Posted by mblouir
Thanks guys. 1bad if you mean the chemical guys ordeal I have seen the same thing floating around. Found this not too long ago:
http://my.is/forums/f171/adams-stuff...oducts-349014/
That was an interesting read. He states that Adam's Polishes was started in 2000 and CG 4 or 5 years after that. The CG website says that CG was founded over 32 years ago. So who's lying? There is definitely an uncanny similarity between a lot of the products. Both looks and name. But I've seen that places other than Adam's as well. I really don't care either way. Use what works for you, what you like, and buy it from who ever you want.

On a side note, CG has to have the worst website ever. Some of their products are hidden. Some are just hard to find. All of the descriptions have horrible grammar and spelling mistakes. Is it really that difficult to proof read information you're putting out there?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a dumb question, where do the swirls come from? Car washes?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:59 PM
esf
Imporper wash technique will induce swirls faster than anything. Car washes are a breeding ground for swirls. Drive thru and self serve. No touch will not induce swirls but use harsh chemicals that will strip wax. Read the sticky at the top of this section to get an idea on how to no induce swirls. They're inevitable, but you can do your part to drastically limit them.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Showya
Nice work, can I drop mine off in the morning for a detail please...............
Ha sure. I enjoy detailing. Can't say the same for my arm, though, after I'm done claying.

Originally Posted by esf
That was an interesting read. He states that Adam's Polishes was started in 2000 and CG 4 or 5 years after that. The CG website says that CG was founded over 32 years ago. So who's lying? There is definitely an uncanny similarity between a lot of the products. Both looks and name. But I've seen that places other than Adam's as well. I really don't care either way. Use what works for you, what you like, and buy it from who ever you want.

On a side note, CG has to have the worst website ever. Some of their products are hidden. Some are just hard to find. All of the descriptions have horrible grammar and spelling mistakes. Is it really that difficult to proof read information you're putting out there?
Good point about CG, I didn't know that. True that, too, I buy from Adams mainly for their great customer service.

Originally Posted by Crackerjackk
I have a dumb question, where do the swirls come from? Car washes?
Improper car washing methods. I only recently got into detailing after I got the truck, but by the time I learned how to properly wash it I was too late. My biggest problem was the car washes, yes. During the semester I don't have much time and would go down to the self-serve and use the brush. It was dragging old dirt all over the paint...

Now that the swirls are gone I'm only hand-washing.

Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
I know you've got that custom plate up front, but you should ditch the plate and bracket for a cleaner look.

Great looking truck and results

Old 03-18-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
I know you've got that custom plate up front, but you should ditch the plate and bracket for a cleaner look.

Great looking truck and results
Thanks! I've actually been meaning to do that for a few weeks and see how it looks. It's at the shop right now so as soon as I get it back I'll do that.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great man, very good job, nice seeing a swirl free black paint job.

Quick Reply: Finally got around to some corrective work. (pics)