A little help with pad choice and 105/205 order

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A little help with pad choice and 105/205 order

I'm getting ready to order some 105/205 and I need to get some new pads, but I'm a little confused. I've got a bunch of LC pads, but they haven't been cleaned since I used them for the first time last year and have been sitting in ziploc bags. As such, I'm a little hesitant to use them.

My truck is black and has a medium case of swirls so I'm not sure whether to use the Solo pads or something else. I also intend to try DWG after seeing some of the ridiculously wet looking after shots some people have posted.

One last thing, how does pad size effect correction? I bought my PC with a bunch of LC pads as a kit, but the backing plate that came with the polisher was smaller than the 6.5" pads i received. I read somewhere that smaller pads perform better than larger pads because the pad will move faster at the edge with a smaller diameter.

105 seems to be out of stock at ADS and Autogeek is pretty expensive at $35 for the 32oz. anywhere else to buy?

where can i pick up DWG? neither ads nor autogeek carry it.

thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
esf
First of all, clean your damn pads. They might still be able to be cleaned. I used some and set them aside and forgot about them. Months went by before I came back across them and cleaned them. The cleaned up great. I let them soak for probably two days in a daw and murphy solution. Then more dawn and I massaged the crap out of them until they were clean. I don't know anything about the solo pads so I can't help there. The smaller pads work the product faster but cover less area. A lot of people settle on a middle ground and go with 5.5" pads. Some, like myself, don't mind less coverage area and will go right to the 4" pads. They're also great for tighter spots where larger pads won't fit. You backing plate should be smaller than the pads. Ths is so the backing plate doesn't accidentally come in contact with the paint and marr it. As for 105 being out of stock, you could always try the Sampler Size. It's more than enough to get you through a detail. If you're only using it on your vehicle and you wash properly, you shouldn't need it again for quite some time anyway. I picked up my DWG from PakShak. PakShak also carries Meguiars but the prices are going to be similar to Autogeek. You can get everything you're looking for at PakShak.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
They are in stock of m105 at eshine.ca, I just placed an order.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by esf
First of all, clean your damn pads. They might still be able to be cleaned. I used some and set them aside and forgot about them. Months went by before I came back across them and cleaned them. The cleaned up great. I let them soak for probably two days in a daw and murphy solution. Then more dawn and I massaged the crap out of them until they were clean. I don't know anything about the solo pads so I can't help there. The smaller pads work the product faster but cover less area. A lot of people settle on a middle ground and go with 5.5" pads. Some, like myself, don't mind less coverage area and will go right to the 4" pads. They're also great for tighter spots where larger pads won't fit. You backing plate should be smaller than the pads. Ths is so the backing plate doesn't accidentally come in contact with the paint and marr it. As for 105 being out of stock, you could always try the Sampler Size. It's more than enough to get you through a detail. If you're only using it on your vehicle and you wash properly, you shouldn't need it again for quite some time anyway. I picked up my DWG from PakShak. PakShak also carries Meguiars but the prices are going to be similar to Autogeek. You can get everything you're looking for at PakShak.
thanks. i'll clean them first and see how they do. the difference between my backing plate and the pads is around an inch on all sides. if i don't put the pad on JUST right, it feels quite a bit out of balance. should they be that large?

Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM
esf
It's probably the 5" backing plate that I think actually measures out to 4 3/4" of something like that. It's fine to use with a 6.5" pad but like you're experiencing, hard to center. The 5.5" pads would be a much better choice all around. They'll work better and they'll be much easier to center on the backing plate. It would be cheaper to get the 6" backing plate, but much more effective if you just got the 5.5 inch pads which is what I recommend.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by esf
It's probably the 5" backing plate that I think actually measures out to 4 3/4" of something like that. It's fine to use with a 6.5" pad but like you're experiencing, hard to center. The 5.5" pads would be a much better choice all around. They'll work better and they'll be much easier to center on the backing plate. It would be cheaper to get the 6" backing plate, but much more effective if you just got the 5.5 inch pads which is what I recommend.
i don't mind spending a little for pads that would be right. i like the idea of the smaller pads as well. am i blind or does megs not make anything smaller than the 6.5?

http://www.autodetailingsolutions.ne...fing-pads.html

Old 03-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Big Slick
I'm getting ready to order some 105/205 and I need to get some new pads, but I'm a little confused. I've got a bunch of LC pads, but they haven't been cleaned since I used them for the first time last year and have been sitting in ziploc bags. As such, I'm a little hesitant to use them.

My truck is black and has a medium case of swirls so I'm not sure whether to use the Solo pads or something else. I also intend to try DWG after seeing some of the ridiculously wet looking after shots some people have posted.

One last thing, how does pad size effect correction? I bought my PC with a bunch of LC pads as a kit, but the backing plate that came with the polisher was smaller than the 6.5" pads i received. I read somewhere that smaller pads perform better than larger pads because the pad will move faster at the edge with a smaller diameter.

105 seems to be out of stock at ADS and Autogeek is pretty expensive at $35 for the 32oz. anywhere else to buy?

where can i pick up DWG? neither ads nor autogeek carry it.

thanks.
If your not sure about the pads, just get new ones and keep them clean this time.

Rather than DWG, try some PBs Black Hole. It will look great on your black truck and it's a little easier to find.

Old 03-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by hwm3
If your not sure about the pads, just get new ones and keep them clean this time.

Rather than DWG, try some PBs Black Hole. It will look great on your black truck and it's a little easier to find.
i actually have BH along with SSR2.5,1, PP, EX-P and natty's blue, and a host of CCS pads.

the BH really made the paint look deep, but some of the photos i've seen with the DWG are dripping wet. I never got the results with the above products that some have posted on here after using 105/205 for their first time detailing. i'm also looking to cut out some steps. sun up to sun down is a loooong time.

Quick Reply: A little help with pad choice and 105/205 order