Paint help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint help!

I'm looking to get my paint in better shape. I've slightly expanded my detailing arsenal. I added a grit guard insert for the wash bucket. I got a Mothers Clay kit, Megs swirl remover 2.0, yellow #26, buncha MF's.

I cheaped out and got a 10" orbital. These are a waste am I correct? I seem to get alot better results better by hand. And more tired and sore!

I have both types of hard water spots and am trying to remove them. This is due to neglectful washing and washing in the beating sun(lesson learned).

So I clayed the hood today. Big help. I used Megs Swirl Remover 2.0. It also helped alot. Especially the second time over. Then followed with Yellow #26. Looks a thousand times better, but I can still see ghosts of the type 2 hard water spots if I look close. Seems like scratch-X may be more than I need??

Do you guys think an investment in a G110 is in order? Would this get the paint back to where it should be? Any other products I should try? Will the couch be hard when my wife makes me sleep on it?
Telling her "I will detail hers too" only buys so many products.
I'm pretty sure I need to fabricate some justification.

Too dark for pics. I can post some tomorrow if it helps.
Any help is very appreciated.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 AM
Any suggestions? A D/A and some M105, M205, then some #26? Sounds like that would do the trick from what I've read on here. I just don't want to waste any more money where I don't have to. Pardon me for being a detailing nub.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:09 PM
esf
A DA is a good investment. I have a PC 7424 and I love it. I'd be a little leary of the G110. A lot of people have had more than one break on them in short periods of time. You're correct that your 10 inch orbital is useless for paint correction. You can use it for applying wax but that's about it. Meg's 105 and 205 are good products. 105 might be more than you need. Maybe not. Hard to say without seeing it. 105 is a compound though and should be treated as one. It's very aggressive and should really only be used when necessary. 205 is a versatile finishing polish. It might be enough it might not. Again, it's hard to say without seeing. Different paints react differently to different products. Testing the products out on a small 1x1 ft spot is usually a good way to find out what you need and what will work best. It's nice to have both 105 and 205 on hand just incase. Meg's Swirl Remover 2.0 (#9) isn't very aggressive at all. 205 is a bit more aggressive but utilizes Meg's Super Micro Abrasive Technology so the abrasive won't break down and as long as the product doesn't dry out, you can continue to work it and remove more defects. Meg's #26 is just a wax. It won't remove anything. It only adds look and protection. Keep in mind over the counter products like SwirlX and ScratchX 2.0 (emphasis on the "2.0") These ca be picked up at places like WalMart, Target, Advanced Auto, etc. Some carry it and some don't. Both of those products are more agressive than 205, ScratchX2.0 being the most aggressive of the 3. Ultimate Compound is another one that is between ScratchX 2.0 and 105. Lots of options out there. It's hard to say what to go with. If you're doing it by hand, I'd probably use one of the over the counter products. If you're going to get a DA, then you might as well order some products with it. Also, if you're going to order a DA, don't forget to pick up enough pads to go with it.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by esf
A DA is a good investment. I have a PC 7424 and I love it. I'd be a little leary of the G110. A lot of people have had more than one break on them in short periods of time.
According to Lumadar the G110 is a bit more powerful than the 7424. From what I read there was a bad batch of G110's floating around for a while but the problem is supposed to be fixed. Cheap is not always better but the G110 is the best bargain between the PC 7424, and the Flex.
Also many people abuse their DA and overpower it with pressure and large pads.
So far I have +15 hours on mine....I use mostly 5.5 pads and rarely to ever over apply pressure.

G110

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM
esf
Yeah I heard that the problems were fixed but only time will tell that. A lot of the G110s that I have heard died have come from professionals and others with years of experience.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks for info guys. I will decide between the 2 after I do a bit more research. Looks like either way I should be able to get the results I'm after.

Quick Reply: Paint help!