Some Experience with dead paint needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well I'm bringing this one back from the "dead" so to speak

I have finally been able to spend some time on the car. I pretty much just have the passenger door and rear fender left. I have done all of the following steps to the rest of the car.

-2 bucket wash
-clay
-#105 (rotary)
-#80/2.0 swirl remover (rotary/DA)
-colorX (DA)
-NXT (DA)
-final inspection(#34)/pure carnuba wax the following day. (Hand)

I will get some pics up after I can get the car in the sun.

Claying went well overall, but the lower sides of the doors took alot of patience, a lot of road grime and tar had to come off.

I basically started out with #105 on a yellow meg's polishing pad. I was using way to much product to start and had some learning to do. I felt I was getting good results, but really needed to follow up with the #80 to get rid of the swirls. After a bit more time I learned I wasn't holding the pad flat enough on the surface and that really helped.

I tackled the hood and front fenders first as they were in the worst shape and I had a little bit of give with the hood as it's going to be swapped out anyway.
After I decided to try the wool pad with the #105 and WOW! I'm sure glad I did. I was able to get a much better "feel" for what was being done and it finished out so well I wanted to go straight to the NXT. I decided to try a bit of the swirl remover 2.0 I picked up a while ago. I tried it with both a soft buff 2.0 and a beige finishing pad. I did notice a little difference, but the light was starting to get low and I moved onto the colorX as I was satisfied with the results. I did prefer "working" the 2.0 vs. #80, I'm sure it has alot to do with my lack of experience.

#105 is a fantastic, easy to use product, I sure wish I could get #205 around here, or even from what I've read I should find some SwirlX as it would probably suit my need and not be as "oily" as #80.

Thanks so much for everyone's help on this and I sure did learn a lot. I have along way to go, but I'm getting better at this whole "detailing" thing

Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 PM
Here are a couple of pics, I will get some good ones once the sun comes out, but it gives an idea of how much the appearance improved. The paint still isn't as "Black" as I would like, but I think it's just the older paint.

Before...

Before on the right and after on the left

After NXT but before carnuba

Best shot I could get with the flash in the dark

Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 AM
looking good...

First time on a rotary?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks RR

I have had the Rotary for a little while, But only tried using it with Medium cut cleaner.

I'm seem to be getting better, I had to go back and re-do the first fender because of the swirls.

Quick Reply: Some Experience with dead paint needed