Some Experience with dead paint needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some Experience with dead paint needed

I know this is the truck forum, but I need some help with the paint on my Mustang. I bought a 95 GT, triple black, convertible last fall. It was completely original including the paint. It's faded and I just don't have the cash to re-paint it.

I do have some experience with polishing and waxing, but nothing to in depth, really only what I figured out myself or picked up here. I have a Makita rotary that up until now I've only used to do a light polish and buffing on my truck a few times.

Basically I have a couple of Meg`s products and some time to get into this car and try to make it shine a bit better again. It`s in pretty pitted and rough shape, I don`t think there has been any care put into the paint on it. I don`t want to wet-sand because I fear there is not a whole lot of clear on the car. I have some Meg`s fine cut cleaner (number 2) and their ColorX polish/wax. I need some advise on technique (what speed to use) and if I`m using the right products (cutter/pad). I have read a little and watched a few you tube vids, but I don`t really know the best way to take this on.

If you guys want me to post any pics I can put a few up tomorrow. Both of the bumpers and trunk have just been painted (because someone hit it in a parking lot) and it really shows the difference in the new and old paint, I know I will never get it to look the same, but I think it could look much better.

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 04-09-2009, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
I know this is the truck forum, but I need some help with the paint on my Mustang. I bought a 95 GT, triple black, convertible last fall. It was completely original including the paint. It's faded and I just don't have the cash to re-paint it.

I do have some experience with polishing and waxing, but nothing to in depth, really only what I figured out myself or picked up here. I have a Makita rotary that up until now I've only used to do a light polish and buffing on my truck a few times.

Basically I have a couple of Meg`s products and some time to get into this car and try to make it shine a bit better again. It`s in pretty pitted and rough shape, I don`t think there has been any care put into the paint on it. I don`t want to wet-sand because I fear there is not a whole lot of clear on the car. I have some Meg`s fine cut cleaner (number 2) and their ColorX polish/wax. I need some advise on technique (what speed to use) and if I`m using the right products (cutter/pad). I have read a little and watched a few you tube vids, but I don`t really know the best way to take this on.

If you guys want me to post any pics I can put a few up tomorrow. Both of the bumpers and trunk have just been painted (because someone hit it in a parking lot) and it really shows the difference in the new and old paint, I know I will never get it to look the same, but I think it could look much better.

Thanks in advance for any help
We need pics man...also, don't give up yet, chances are we've seen worse.

This is NOT something you are going to get done by hand but it will still be cheaper than a paint job.

There are several members here who have worked miracles with older paint. Most recently TooStroked did some amazing work on very faded single stage paint. There are MANY very experienced detailer here lurking.

Without photos, its hard to give you a real assessment. Try and get some shots in the sun too, direct sun. A shot of your newly paint bumbers in contrast to your other surface.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 PM
Thanks, I will get some pics up today, and I will get some more up tomorrow in the sun since it's raining today.

I do have a good quality speed controlled Makita Rotary, so I should be good on the tools needed to get started.

I am pretty sure this is a two-stage paint, that's what it's telling me on the insurance repair invoice anyway...

I appreciate the help!

Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 PM
no problem, find out what model of Makita you have.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When RollingRock calls, I respond! Here's some pictures that should give you some significant hope. First, here's a 1998 Ford Aeromax dump truck with just about 240,000 miles on the clock. It was repainted with single stage Ford F1 red about ten years ago, but sits outside 24/7. Needless to say, it was sort of hurting.

The owner asked me what I could do and here's the process I used:
- Wash with Meg's Gold Class
- Lots of bug & tar remover (the truck hauls blacktop)
- Decontaminate with Collonite Paint Cleaner
- Meg's M105 applied with a PC on speed 6 with an LC orange pad
- Meg's M205 applied with a PC on speed 6 with an LC white pad
- PoliSeal applied with a PC on speed 3 with a Meg's Finishing pad
- OptiSeal applied by hand

Here's some before and after shots:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...oreCloseup.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...terCloseup.jpg

Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So maybe you know that single stage paint is a bit easier to play with than basecoat / clearcoat. OK, I know that too, and I also know that the dump truck seriously taxed the limits of my PC and my patience. So, here's another example - this time with BC/CC paint.

Here's a 1997 Ford F150 with about 115,000 on the clock. A friend of mine allowed me to use it to practice with my new DeWalt rotary - as long as I did it for free. So this was not a full detail - as you'll see by the wheel wells getting left naked. Here's the process:

- Wash with Meg's Gold Class
- Meg's M105 applied at 1,000 RPM with a rotary on a Meg's Polishing pad
- Meg's M205 applied at 1,000 RPM with a rotary on a Meg's Polishing pad
- Poor Boys Black Hole applied with a PC on speed 3 with a Meg's Finishing pad
- Collonite 845 applied by hand

See what you think:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...gateBefore.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...SideBefore.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...lgateAfter.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...tSideAfter.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e6...htQtrAfter.jpg

Old 04-09-2009, 03:41 PM
WOW! Those are some great results!

Thanks so much for the breakdown and pics. I will post some pics up of the car when I get off of work. To show where I am starting from. Once I have them up, I'll ask the types of pads I should use. I only have 2 right now, the cutting pad that came with the rotary (never used, looks pretty aggressive) and a yellow looking Meg's polishing pad.

Looks like I'll be dealing with the same paint as on the truck, only thing is, I'm sure my cars paint is little worse.

Thanks again, I look forward to learning as much as I can.

Old 04-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Here are a couple of pics I had in the archives, once I posted them I see they really don't show how bad the paint is, I'll get some close up's post as soon as I can, I would like to tackle this tomorrow since it's a holiday. Yes I have made some changes since this pic to (The top no longer has holes in it)

Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I got lucky and the sun came out this afternoon. Here are some pics of the car, If you want any more or from different views, let me know and I'll get them up!
Here's the Rotary I have

fresh paint on the bumper

Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Some More...

I Hit the right side with fine cut cleaner by hand just to show the cracks in the paint on the front of the car.

I look forward to your thoughts.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Blown F-150

Man, you said this was bad? This ain't bad at all.

Its marred to all get out but it can be fixed. I wish I was closer to you, I would love to do this one! Super easy.

Another Member here Old Dog just did his truck that was in very similar condtion.

As for my recommendation if you want it...would be this:

Clean wheels, wheel wells
Standard 2 bucket wash, paint
Clay (megs blue, or PB Clay, Clay Magic, etc...)
Dry, move to garage
Tape off trim

Megs 105, using your Makita, Lake Country Purple Foam Wool Pad (lowest speed possible with your makita, check work often
Remove all dust from product, (Either QD or rewash)
Megs 205 using your Makita, White Lake Country Pad

Top with your fav sealer or wax

Or option 2
Megs 105, using your Makita, Lake Country Purple Foam Wool Pad (lowest speed with your Makita), check work often.
PoorBoys Pro Polish with White Lake Pad
Top with fav LSP

That is the plan I would do, just make sure you check your work often and see how the 105 is working. Work slow, work smart.

I know you have questions...right?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Of Course I have a couple of questions...

Do you know of any Meg's pads I can use, I have a great supplier around here who carries pretty much everything Meg's has. I haven't come across any Lake Country products around here yet...

Should I clay or does the Fine-cut cleaner do the similar thing in removing contaminants? Should I even use the fine cut cleaner (2) at all? I have some clay but it's just the white (yellow?) stuff that comes in a kit with the QD.

Thanks again, this should be fun

Old 04-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Looks familar...

Your black paint looks very similar to mine before I fixed it. I had never properly detailed my truck (work and woods) in 5 years.

I posted before and afters a couple of weeks ago. Here are a few to give you some encouragement.

http://olddogg.homestead.com/F150/Detail/img013a.jpg
http://olddogg.homestead.com/F150/Detail/R114A.jpg

http://olddogg.homestead.com/F150/Detail/img013.jpg
http://olddogg.homestead.com/F150/Detail/R1-21a.jpg

http://olddogg.homestead.com/F150/Detail/img017.jpg
http://olddogg.homestead.com/F150/Detail/R1-23.jpg

Good luck.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
Of Course I have a couple of questions...

Do you know of any Meg's pads I can use, I have a great supplier around here who carries pretty much everything Meg's has. I haven't come across any Lake Country products around here yet...

Should I clay or does the Fine-cut cleaner do the similar thing in removing contaminants? Should I even use the fine cut cleaner (2) at all? I have some clay but it's just the white (yellow?) stuff that comes in a kit with the QD.

Thanks again, this should be fun
honestly I don't use Megs pads but I have a few here and there. As for claying, lets just say, that proper prep of the surface is key. Considering the condition of your paint, you MUST clay first. Do not skip this step.

Thanks Old Dogg for jumping in...between you and 2stroked, you guys should have this one covered.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:51 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the pics Old Dogg. I will pick up a wool polishing pad tomorrow and a blue clay bar. I'll get to work and post some results tomorrow

Do you have a link or title for Old Doggs thread? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Some Experience with dead paint needed