chrome rim ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chrome rim ?

What's recommended for keeping the dust/grime down? Am I ok using the extra megs gold class I have or is there something better? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Generally speaking, a wheel leads a tough life in a tough environment with lots of heat. That said, conventional (Carnauaba) waxes don't tend to last very long. Going with a synthetic (NXT, Zaino, EX-P, etc.) will buy you a bit more time, but it's still tough. There are a few "wheel waxes" out there right now that clain to do wonders, but I haven't been impressed - yet.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:11 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
Ceramic pads and premium rotors.

Old 04-11-2009, 02:17 PM
^^^ In all reality the brake dust isn't that bad on my rims. It's just the reg. dirt and dust imo.

And 2 - I'm glad you said something about synthetics (in particular NXT) being that I almost picked some up the other day. I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks guys

Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Wash frequently and apply NXT when you wax and once in between waxes. If the inside of the rims is hard to reach then use megs chrome wheel cleaner, i've had that work wonders on the inside hard to reach areas.

I've used this technique for 2 years, and i've had the rims for 3 years. The first year, i used poor techniques. I have no rust/flaking/corrosion and the only scratches i have is from curbing the rim.

Hope i helped brother.
B

PS. I did pick up a bottle of Megs Chrome Polish with my last order, and i WILL NOT wax them agian without using the polish before. It almost acts as a glaze for your chrome, adding a more brilliant shine when it's all said and done.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:19 AM
I finally washed my truck today after a couple of months of neglect. My wheels were pretty bad, especially the fronts with the brake dust. Sitting in the hot Hawaii sun that stuff had just baked on. When I first washed them they looked really bad and had pockets where I could not get the brake dust off. A couple of week ago my wife had melted her boot heel to my motorcycle pipe and I used some 000 steel wool to take it off and it left no scratches so I thought I'd give that a try on my wheels. Took the stuff right off and made the wheels look brand new once again and absolutely no scratches at all.

I don't recommend letting your wheels sit as long as I did, but if you ever do that's a way to clean them that I found that worked for me.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
I finally washed my truck today after a couple of months of neglect. My wheels were pretty bad, especially the fronts with the brake dust. Sitting in the hot Hawaii sun that stuff had just baked on. When I first washed them they looked really bad and had pockets where I could not get the brake dust off. A couple of week ago my wife had melted her boot heel to my motorcycle pipe and I used some 000 steel wool to take it off and it left no scratches so I thought I'd give that a try on my wheels. Took the stuff right off and made the wheels look brand new once again and absolutely no scratches at all.

I don't recommend letting your wheels sit as long as I did, but if you ever do that's a way to clean them that I found that worked for me.
I think you'll find that even the finest steel wool does indeed scratch chrome plating. The trick may be the surface area of your wheels. You have relatively narrow spokes - which probably hides the marring. If you had wider / flatter surfaces like some of the rest of us do, I think you'd be appalled.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I think you'll find that even the finest steel wool does indeed scratch chrome plating. The trick may be the surface area of your wheels. You have relatively narrow spokes - which probably hides the marring. If you had wider / flatter surfaces like some of the rest of us do, I think you'd be appalled.
Not trying to debate what you are saying because I'm sure there may be some very fine scratches. Here's a couple before and after shots though of part of the wheel I did today just to give you an idea of exactly what I'm talking about. Notice I do have some wider areas of the wheel surface.

Before

After

Before

After

Old 04-21-2009, 07:00 AM
[QUOTE=wxscpo;3692698]Not trying to debate what you are saying because I'm sure there may be some very fine scratches. Here's a couple before and after shots though of part of the wheel I did today just to give you an idea of exactly what I'm talking about. Notice I do have some wider areas of the wheel surface.
QUOTE]

No problem and I understand. What I think you'll find in direct sunlight though is that steel (wool) on chrome does leave a mark. I have much wider flat surfaces on my chrome 20's and even though I've never touched them with steel wool, I have marring. Mine apparently came from the brake dust caused by the OEM brake pads and constantly cleaning it off. Even using gentle cleaners and nothing but microfiber towels, in direct sunlight you can clearly see it. Although chrome plating is pretty hard stuff, it's not totally bullet proof. Nice looking truck by the way!

Quick Reply: chrome rim ?