Waxing at night

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waxing at night

Anyone ever wash, wax, and detail their truck at night? I'm leaving for a road trip this weekend and would like to the truck all shiney for the trip. I heard something once about waxing at night but for the life of me I don't see the issue. They said it will leave streak marks all over the vehicle. Anyone have any input? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:42 PM
I'd say not being able to see well enough would be the only problem. I've done some at night but always used my dual halogen work lights in addition to overhead flouresent lights.

It should affect the polish in the slightest. Many polishes actually have an adverse reaction to UV rays.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
The only thing I'd think would be adverse would be the coolness and dampness.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by glc
The only thing I'd think would be adverse would be the coolness and dampness.
Why?

I did most of my truck the other day, at night. I started at 3pm, but I didn't get finished until 2am, and even then I'm still not done.(still have hood and front bumper area to do, as well as going back over other areas I already did.) As JGJ mentioned, as long as you have good lighting, you're good to go.

Tomorrow I'll be finishing the truck off and it's supposed to rain. I'll be in the garage but part of the truck will be outside. When I need to the part of the truck that's outside I'll just spin it around and dry that part off before starting to work.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
The products I use are designed to be used at 65 degrees and above. I even spoke with the chemist who actually makes the product and he said it was most effective above 65 degrees.

If its too cool or too humid, the products can and may not work as well. Being out of direct sunlight and 100 degree heat is great, but there is a range. You don't want it to be too cold or too hot.

I've detailed several cars in sub 65 degree weather and they didn't turn out as good as they could have if the weather was warmer. The product has its ideal application temperature just like anything else.

No adverse effects to doing it at night especially if you have good light. Hell the light may even provide enough heat to get the produce to set up correctly.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 PM
The only problem I have with doing work at night is 1) I always end up missing a couple spots of wax, and 2) at least here, there comes a point in the night when condensation starts to form on the paint, and makes it very hard to remove wax.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:59 AM
glc
Received 774 Likes on 715 Posts
condensation starts to form on the paint
I think that's what I was trying to say.

Old 05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by ELVATO
The only problem I have with doing work at night is 1) I always end up missing a couple spots of wax, and 2) at least here, there comes a point in the night when condensation starts to form on the paint, and makes it very hard to remove wax.
When this happens I always go over those areas with a damp microfiber the following AM when it warms up.

Quick Reply: Waxing at night