Turtle Wax "Ice Clay Kit"

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The one thing I would like to say is this is a chemical process. With other clay bars it is a mechanical one. So That fact that they call it a liquid clay bar is a bit misleading. It has some characteristics of clay but not all.
I have used both and prefer the normal clay bar.

Nate

Old 05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I used Mothers wax right after claying the entire truck. I did not use the liquid clay at all.

Also, Rockpick - What should I use next time? I think I should be fine for a while as the finish is super smooth right now. I would like to clay at least once a year. Should I clay more often? Thanks man.

the Mothers will serve you well.

you can use the pastic bag test to see if the vehicle needs to be clayed again .. depending on the environment .. once a year could be right on, or not enough .. or even too soon.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I started searching beechkid. I'm calling you out, not like you'll back it up

So much for the Ford Factory manual that specifically states avoid the use of clay bars and recommends 2 different chemicals for removing those contaminants! While clay bars do remove the most of the contaminants, it does so by removing the paint- just like color sanding but much more gentle. There is little justification of paints that are less than 5 years old to use claybar on them when there are products readily available that actually remove and neutralize these contaminants without removing one spec of paint!
I'm getting ready to travel again, but, anyone who desires year by year verification, manufacturer by manufacturer can go to www.helminc.com, they have an online service which allows users to access any (well almost any) oem service manual online, page by page for each specific vehicle. While the recommended product names/suppliers differ, there is no oem (that I am aware of) that recommends using claybar for removal of any chemical or environmental contaminents during the last decade to the present, because of the residual contamination (which leads to further paint damage).

For those that have called me "every name under the sun" and implied that I would never have such a document, I hope that you will at least consider this.....
1. At no time did I send insults to anyone
2. I stated that I had docs to support my opinion & experience, I submitted such (one sample of many)
3. I appreciate the assistance of posting the doc.
4. It is difficult (at best) from my own experience, to find any industry certified automotive detailer (and I'm not referring to a "wax/detailing" retail manufacturer who may have a detailing course) who uses claybar for the purposes of this stated discussion (there are real uses for claybar, but not for chemical & environmental contaminents which covers 99% of finished paint maintenance issues)

I enjoy speaking with enthusiests who have differences of opinion, as I enjoy sharing and learning both new & old techniques regarding the variety of paint finishes that have been used throughout the decades ..
Please be advised, I faxed a copy of an OEM service document related specifically to paint contaminents and the use of clay bar to NOVSUN88. He confirmed receipt, affirmed my statements and has posted it on this site. The point is...

1. There is a whole section on this subject in the service doc, I sent only a 1 page summary
2. the 1996 date was to indicate that the recommended procedure for removing both chemical & environmental contaminents dates back to 1996. I have the 2008 docs which state the same. basically to support that this info is not new and taught in all ICAR courses nationally for many years.
I'd like to have a rational discussing with you. If the op wants to start a new thread about this, we'll do it, but i want to actually see what you have to say . Claying a vechile will NOT remove any paint, period. Unless you're trying to clay SS but that's a different discussion entirely. You may marr the paint from using an aggresive clay, but that's about it.

Every single post you've made you say clay barring is not recommend. Okay we got that, but it's not recommend because the document you hold in such high regards is talking more into acid rain, rust, etc. Steel containments on paint? You don't clay rush away Rail dust is one thing, but a good clay and strong car wash solution takes care of that.

Let me clarify one more item, the "Not Recommended by Ford". When communication within the oem networks & suppliers, all oem's, product suppliers, etc have "recommended procedures" for diagnostics, maintenance, etc. Any procedure that is done not listed within the service manuals are recognized as "not recommended" meaning, the use of the product or procedure is not listed within the service directives. I can understand the interpretation of my statement to imply that there was written literature stating "not to use claybar" but that was not the intent of my message, meaning the Ford (and the other oem's & paint manufacturers) recommend other procedures in their service manuals for removing finished paint contaminents.
I think you need to better understand the literature in my opinion. I hope you don't continue to give out false information and send people in the wrong way.

And by the way, do you own 3m or something? Try something over than their hand glaze or adhesive remover sometime

Old 05-21-2009, 06:19 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Well said

Quick Reply: Turtle Wax "Ice Clay Kit"