Just bought a polisher ????

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ok just went and bought this at wally world . Now what pad is best to use i have a microfiber terrycloth and the wool pad let me know

Old 07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
ok just went and bought this at wally world . Now what pad is best to use i have a microfiber terrycloth and the wool pad let me know
WOW! That is liquid sandpaper! You sure you want to use that? Polishing Compound is pretty strong stuff... Rubbing Compound is even stronger.

Personally I'd recommend something like Scratch X 2.0 or Ultimate Compound way before that.

I'm no expert, though.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by tcope
WOW! That is liquid sandpaper! You sure you want to use that? Polishing Compound is pretty strong stuff... Rubbing Compound is even stronger.

Personally I'd recommend something like Scratch X 2.0 or Ultimate Compound way before that.

I'm no expert, though.
SS? colorx would be great otc

Old 07-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Now what pad is best to use i have a microfiber terrycloth and the wool pad let me know
Polishing and compounding are two different things.
Your pad selection will be limited to the polishing pad HF sells with the kit unless you change the 7" backing plate it comes with. 7" backing plate is pretty big IMHO

The sander/polisher you bought says 300-3000 rpm.
I have a drill that goes from 0-2500 rpm
A G110 goes from 2500-6500 opm.
If your sander polisher has a lot of torque you may have problems.

Try to remember when working on vehicle paint to always try the least aggressive method first.
Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
here are some pictures of the truck all i did to it was wash it and will start the process tomorrow. The scratches look worse in the pics then in person. The truck looks pretty decent clean hasnt been washed in a year let me know what i should use i will take the 3m back if it is to abrasive. thanks for all the help guys

Old 07-10-2009, 10:57 PM
From what I see... you are not going to get those scratches out. Period. If your finger nail catches on them... you won't get them out. Making them less noticeable might help a bit but there are a lot of scratches.

It's an older truck... it's suppose to have scratches.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 PM
i know some of the scratches wont come out on the fender but i think alot of them will like i said the camera made it look worse. Only reason im doing this to the truck is to get some practice using this machine.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Hmm, seems the Advanced in Angelo doesn't have the Meg's pads, but they have something called "D. A. Motorsports FOAM PAD BLUE LIGHT CUT", among others. Not sure how big they are, or how well they work, but you could maybe give them a try (especially for 3 bucks.)

Just be careful when using it, or you might burn some paint.

Quick Reply: Just bought a polisher ????