dishwashing detergent to wash truck?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always get a kick out of people that come on the forums and argue with the experts advice, and say "it works fine for me"

My advice on somethign like this is simple. There are tons of people, all with their own opinion of how to do things. When you are deciding what to do, and whose advice to follow, you have to make a decision. Do you listen to the people that have been professionally trained, with multiple years and hundreds to thousands of cars worth of experience? Or do you listen to the random poster on a forum that tells you it worked for him in his driveway, so it must be ok for you?

this post is not meant to attack anyone that has posted in this thread previously.. it is simply me giving advice to the OP.

I have over 30 years experience doing this, and quit counting when I did my 10,000 car.
In my opinion, in anything other than a very rare instance, there is nothing to be gained by using dishwashing detergent. There is no need to use it, as it WILL cause damage to your paint. your eye may not be able to see damage, but it is there.

There are hundreds of chemicals that are specifically designed to do the job correctly, without damage. Don't be lazy.. pick one and use it.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
I always get a kick out of people that come on the forums and argue with the experts advice, and say "it works fine for me"

My advice on somethign like this is simple. There are tons of people, all with their own opinion of how to do things. When you are deciding what to do, and whose advice to follow, you have to make a decision. Do you listen to the people that have been professionally trained, with multiple years and hundreds to thousands of cars worth of experience? Or do you listen to the random poster on a forum that tells you it worked for him in his driveway, so it must be ok for you?

this post is not meant to attack anyone that has posted in this thread previously.. it is simply me giving advice to the OP.

I have over 30 years experience doing this, and quit counting when I did my 10,000 car.
In my opinion, in anything other than a very rare instance, there is nothing to be gained by using dishwashing detergent. There is no need to use it, as it WILL cause damage to your paint. your eye may not be able to see damage, but it is there.

There are hundreds of chemicals that are specifically designed to do the job correctly, without damage. Don't be lazy.. pick one and use it.
Gipraw.......I can appreciate your post, I can tell you are a professional when it comes to detailing.........having said that, nowhere in my post did I recommend using DAWN Dishwashing Detergent.......I was just relating my personal experience using that product on a new car, RED nonetheless, and observing the paint for 7 years.....this was the question from the OP.
I understand your reasoning, however, I have 20/20 eyesight as most people, but I never saw any damage to the paint on this vehicle.

With all due repect.......
My question to you is, have you used DAWN for 7 years on a new car?
No, being a professional you would use a product made for washing cars, and rightly so.
I don't use any dishwashing liquid any longer, only because I keep a good POLYMER on the paint now, which protects the paint.
But I guess my bottom line is, that RED OLDS looked as good as it did when it rolled off the car lot 7 years earlier, I was in the car business at the time, so I do know when paint has a problem.........
again, this is just my personal experience, I'm not recommending anybody use dishwashing detergent, even though I had no problem with it.
And this was in the SOUTH FLORIDA HEAT, rain storms, salt air.

I would agree with Gipraw to use a good automotive product, matter of fact, I'm on-line right now at the "GEEK" site trying to decide between an "ACRYLIC" like KLASSE OR a POLYMER like MCGUIRES.......
Gipraw, which one would you recommend?

Old 08-05-2009, 02:01 PM
bfdtpkt..

I wasn't directing my post at you, although I can see how it would look that way. It was more of just a general comment.

No, I have never washed a car for 7 years with dawn.. but I have worked on many that have been treated like that, and I have seen what it does to them. even if it looked good to you after 7 years .. at some point the clear is going to fail .. maybe 7.5 years, maybe 10 .. but it will fail.

I prefer the Meg's sealant, because I know how it will perform under all conditions .. I have found it to be the most forgiving in the heat and humidity of Texas.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Gipraw
bfdtpkt..

I wasn't directing my post at you, although I can see how it would look that way. It was more of just a general comment.

No, I have never washed a car for 7 years with dawn.. but I have worked on many that have been treated like that, and I have seen what it does to them. even if it looked good to you after 7 years .. at some point the clear is going to fail .. maybe 7.5 years, maybe 10 .. but it will fail.

I prefer the Meg's sealant, because I know how it will perform under all conditions .. I have found it to be the most forgiving in the heat and humidity of Texas.
I meant no offense to you, Gipraw.........it was just a "personal" experience thing with DAWN BEFORE I became "educated" by professionals as yourself on-line.
I'm glad you answered about the MEG's because I have that and KLASSE in my "shopping cart" at "AutoGeek" and couldn't decide..........
not to steal the thread, but you prefer the MEG's because it's a POLYMER?
I've been using ZAINO which is also a POLYMER, but I'll "pull-the-trigger" on the MEG's. THX!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:22 PM
Gipraw, is a "Cafe" guy...his experience and advice will save people a lot of trial and error and learning the hard way.

Generally speaking Meg's products are somewhat more forgiving for someone learning

Old 08-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Use Meguiar's Gold Class, or go the ONR route. No real need to use dish soap.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I have a friend of mine ( keep in mind with both have very expensive hot water steam cleaners because thats what we do for a living .. ( Clean vent hoods in restaurants.. ) Anyway he has a f250 2001 crewcab he washes it with purple power degreaser and his steam cleaner 3000 psi @4gpm at 205 degrees.. I am to chicken to use my steam cleaner on my truck.. I always use OXY CLEAN MIXED WITH HOT WATER ..

Last edited by FX4_2003; 08-07-2009 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by SFssft1911
Also keep in mind that most dish soaps contain a very mild abbrasive. If you put a drop of dish soap on your finger then begin rubbing your fingers together you'll know what I mean.
I did this. I felt no abrasives and it remained just as slick as when I first started rubbing.

I doubt dish soaps have any abrasives in them.

I would never wash my truck with dish soap nor would I recommend it. Good car soaps are designed to be used on paint. I also don't see any reason to "strip" anything off the paint. Most manufactures design their products so that they can be layered anyway. Though I do understand the thought that some people want to remove any/all waxes before adding a non-polishing sealant. But most any sealant is going to remove wax anyway. Personally, I'd use a wax cleaner before I used dish soap.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:29 PM
I personally have witnessed a guy on my street wash his car with dish soap every weekend. He does wax every 6 months or so. All of his cars eventually clear coat peel. I have watched 5 cars suffer through this process. The paint life is being hammered by the dish soap and the wax cannot add back what he washes away. If you really want to clean your finish before sealing and waxing, claybar is the best way to do it. Just my experience.

My wash process:

1. Soap gun/Rinse/Soap gun.
2. 5 gal bucket/grit guard with clean DI water. Wash small sections and clean mitt in bucket between sections.
3. Rinse with DI water.
4. Dry with a Metro Vacuum SK-1 Air Force Blaster. Really great for getting water out of the door handles, mirrors, headlights, wheels, and all water traps. This is my favorite part.
5. Touchup with microfiber cloth.
6. Claybar/Wash/Seal/Wax.
7. Drive

Old 08-08-2009, 08:58 AM
So.... can I use car wash solution to do my dishes?

Old 08-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by LoneRanger93
So.... can I use car wash solution to do my dishes?
If they are painted, yes.

Quick Reply: dishwashing detergent to wash truck?