What do you use to lubricate your clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:55 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
When I think professional detailing, the Ford dealer really doesn't come to mind.........

Neither does Bubba down the street with his rotary and 3M single step who charges 50 bucks.

Last edited by glc; 09-29-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gipraw
I use whatever bottle of QD I have lying around that I am no longer using as a QD, since I am always trying to find something I like better than what I am currently using.
This is pretty much what I do as well... I always seem to have some kind of QD spray that is yesterday's flame sitting on the shelf.

Also, like glc mentioned, soapy water isn't really that great of an idea -- mainly because the surfactants and such within the soap will begin to degrade most clay bars after a use or two. Thus, you may not be able to get the full potential out of your bar before you're forced to chuck it because it's getting crumbly.

-RP-

Old 09-30-2009, 08:01 PM
glc
That's why you put the clay back in the plastic box or jar it comes in - after spraying it with some QD.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88benny
the clay will also last alot longer if you leave it water when you done
if you want a long life out of your clay your doin more harm than good keepen your clay around cause the clay picks up dirt witch will scratch your paint

it picks the dirt up off your paint a plastic box wont stop that
so what are you trying to say here?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 AM
glc
A bit contradictory? I'd say so. I dunno about you, but unless I drop it on the ground, I get more than one job out of a piece of clay before it's ready to toss. The piece that's in my box right now has done 4 vehicles and it's still okay.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
A bit contradictory? I'd say so. I dunno about you, but unless I drop it on the ground, I get more than one job out of a piece of clay before it's ready to toss. The piece that's in my box right now has done 4 vehicles and it's still okay.
x2, and it also depends on how bad the vehicle's paint is. If it is not bad, you get more usage. Damon's detail of the Mini is a good example of a 1 use then toss clay.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Windex....seriously. And you should ALWAYS re wash after you're done claying

Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
glc
Windex????????

Nothing with ammonia is going to touch MY paint, thank you. I won't even use that crap on my windows.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
ONR

the other great thing about ONR is it's multiple uses. I've diluted a cap full of ONR in a $2 spraybottle and have three times more lube than i would have from a QD bottle at a fraction of the price.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:25 PM
i use to detail at a ford dealership and we would wash the truck regular and use the clay before you rinsed the soap off
There are so many potential issues with using this method. Why not just skip the wash altogether and just clay?

BTW, detailing at a dealership, or at a detail shop under contract with a dealer doesn't change the fact that they aren't willing to pay for quality.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:38 PM
of corse the BOX says use lube im just guessing it says that so that people that follow directions will spend more money for the makers. You cant get too crazy now and use soap the box tells you NOT TOO. your so rite its work every time and never drys out for me maybe i can keep my method and you keeps yours and we will both be happy. For others Personally i use water and soap thats what works for me and i prefer it over lube.

Where did I say to do it because the box says to?

Using soapy water WILL cause the clay to break down. It is simple chemistry, and the clay you are using is not immune, or special.

Secondly, when you use soapy water, you have to wash and dry the vehicle after you are done claying. If you use QD, then you can work a small section at a time, and do not need to rewash.

When you are giving advice to the masses, the advice needs to be correct, and generic enough to work for everyone, especially the people with little or no experience.

Your process works for you, but won't work for most here because you left a lot of the particulars out, because they are second nature to you, and therefore you don't think to include them.

Washing and then claying works for you inside a building, where you don't have to worrying about the sun beating down on you and causing water spots and dried soap on the vehicle. Not the case for guys and gals working in their driveway.

You say you have never has issues with soap causing your clay to break down. How often do you use the clay? every day? how many vehicles before you toss it and grab some new?

Try using it with soapy water, then putting it away for 3 weeks or more, like most weekend detailer / hobbyists would do, and you will see what we are all talking about.

No one is trying to get you to change how you do things. If it works for you, then great. But just because it works for you doesn't mean it is the best way, and just because it works for you doesn't mean that the average guy working on his own vehicle should do it that way.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by my98stang46
Windex....seriously. And you should ALWAYS re wash after you're done claying
Windex? that has to be one of the worst ideas I have ever read on here.

Why should you always wash after claying?

Old 10-03-2009, 08:38 AM
first off get your facts straight i havent work as a detailer in 4yrs. i am a weekend detailer i put that in there so the person that asked the Q would see another view. I wash my truck how? the whole thing NO i never said that wich u r infering. i wash, clay, and rinse panel by panel. then wax. im NOT in a building wich was another thing u r infering. I havent washed another persons car besides my familys in idk how long. but u r rite WE all r talking about weekend detailing cause i buy my own clay from discount and wash my truck at my house in th fla sun. Imma use it on u "when u want to give advice to me make sure u r correct". U said it yourself so u got to belive that. Particulars is what u want well then make your own thread but this thread was about the lube not how to do the hole process. you are a stupid to infer that i am washing in a building wich YOUR WRONG, and that i do it every day WRONG I can answer how many vehicles i use the clay on before i throw it out 1 MINE. Did i ever say its the best method NO IMMA average guy using it on my truck. SO i hope this cleared everything up for you since you made up all the stuff that i am and do that the onlyplace you got that from is were the sun dont shine. cuz i neva said those things. I am sorry though for infering that you got using the lube from the box i should have been more specific it was more of a general statement to everyone.
You should seriously think about quitting while you're behind.

All Gip did in his response was explain his opinion in a very professional way. No need to get all defensive and start the name calling. You're talking to a guy that has far more detailing experience, and that really knows his stuff.

My advice, let it go.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:06 AM
glc
Benny, let me give you a bit of advice if I may. You are a new member who doesn't really know anybody here yet. It so happens the people you are fighting with right now are professional HIGH END detailers with a LOT of experience under their belts. Disclaimer - I am NOT one of them, but I've been here for quite a while and KNOW these guys' competency.

If you would care to do some research here, you will find that these guys have a long track record, they have made a lot of posts with detailed pictures and descriptions of jobs they have done - both here and on other dedicated detailing forums. I haven't seen anything from you along those lines yet. You have to build your own credibility before you go off half ****ed.

In particular, when hwm3 speaks, I take it as gospel. I live about 4 hours away from him - if I wanted a high end detailing job, I'd make the trip and pay his price, whatever it is - and I doubt it's cheap. I have looked at a LOT of pictures of his work and read about his techniques.

Maybe you are just as competent - we have no way of knowing without some proof - and the attitude you are copping isn't helping there either. Don't take constructive criticism as a personal attack.

Old 10-03-2009, 12:05 PM
you are doing a good job of contradicting yourself. I am not trying to pick a fight with you. As I stated in my earlier post, I am simply trying to point out that in this instance, the advice you gave was not the best advice in this situation. I never said it didn't work for you. You get mad at me for assuming things, yet you continue to provide more information, everytime you post. stuff you left out the first time, and good bit of it contradicts your earlier comments.

For example .. your first comment about what lube to use:

i use to detail at a ford dealership and we would wash the truck regular and use the clay before you rinsed the soap off
Then you respond to me with:

first off get your facts straight i havent work as a detailer in 4yrs. i am a weekend detailer i put that in there so the person that asked the Q would see another view. I wash my truck how? the whole thing NO i never said that wich u r infering. i wash, clay, and rinse panel by panel.

My comments were addressed to you based on the fact that you said you detailed at the Ford dealership. You made a comment based on your experience there, and I replied to THOSE comments.

My early post directed at you also addressed the contradictions.

you said these three things:

the clay will also last alot longer if you leave it water when you done
if you want a long life out of your clay your doin more harm than good keepen your clay around cause the clay picks up dirt witch will scratch your paint
it picks the dirt up off your paint a plastic box wont stop that
So which did you mean? If you want long life out of your clay, then store your clay in water, or if you try to get long life out of your clay you are asking for trouble?

I apologize if I came across as attacking you. It was not my intention. This is a place for everyone to share their ideas and opinions. I welcome your contributions to the forum, and hope that you stick around and participate often.

Quick Reply: What do you use to lubricate your clay bar?