What do you use to lubricate your clay bar?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 88benny
FIRST off he said his self he is a weekend detailer look at your third sentence, and OF course your gunna back up your buddy. All i did here is tell the man that posted the original thread what i use to lube my clay and yall two want to jump my a$$ its just my two sense you dont like it we know. i was giving my personal expierience and the reason he posted the thread was to find some diff methods than he uses he didnt find that from yall. my truck is spotless and its black there fore i know how to detail put up some picks of your truck

you are welcome to search this forum for pictures of some of my work.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:39 PM
i didnt say if you want a long life i said it last longer in water. if you want to use it over and over the clay is picken up dirt and scratching your paint. thats what i was getten from yall your so worried about saop breaking it down. its gotta take a long time for soap to break it down so that tells me your keepen your clay around for a while. peace out im done with this you just do you imma do me ill do my way wich is the best for me and you do whats best for you and again i posted this to give the person that asked the Q another idea wick is what he asked for take it or leave it. ok ttyl im out on this subject thanks for given me somethen to do buddy
Don't know why I bothered trying to be professional and nice in my replies, as you obviously are putting forth none of the same effort. As i have said, I was never trying to pick a fight with you, only trying to correct some misinformation you posted (and continue to) about the subject. Your inability to understand how you are contradicting yourself is not my problem.

I do have one more, serious question for you on a different subject.

If you are such a good detailer, and your black truck is spotless because you know what you are doing... then why did you post a picture of it in the shadows, taken from 20 feet away as validation of your abilities? A nice shot in the sun would have been much more credible, and done a better job of showing your abilities..

something like this, maybe: just a suggestion.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:30 PM
esf
Damnit Gip, I was just going to search for that exact picture as soon as I finished reading this.

For the record, sometimes depending on my current end goal, I will use different things. If I plan on doing any paint correction I will use Meg's #34 Final Inspection or CG's Luber because they doesn't contain any silicones or anything that may possibly interfere with polishing. If I'm just doing a routine clay so I can put a good coat of wax on then I'll use any quick detailer I feel like reaching for on the shelf. Usually Adam's Detail Spray because I have others I like more and don't really use it for anything else.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:31 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Don't waste your time, Gip - he's only going to hear what he wants to hear. He has a lot to learn - and no desire to learn it.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:32 PM
esf
Originally Posted by glc
Benny, let me give you a bit of advice if I may. You are a new member who doesn't really know anybody here yet. It so happens the people you are fighting with right now are professional HIGH END detailers with a LOT of experience under their belts. Disclaimer - I am NOT one of them, but I've been here for quite a while and KNOW these guys' competency.

If you would care to do some research here, you will find that these guys have a long track record, they have made a lot of posts with detailed pictures and descriptions of jobs they have done - both here and on other dedicated detailing forums. I haven't seen anything from you along those lines yet. You have to build your own credibility before you go off half ****ed.

In particular, when hwm3 speaks, I take it as gospel. I live about 4 hours away from him - if I wanted a high end detailing job, I'd make the trip and pay his price, whatever it is - and I doubt it's cheap. I have looked at a LOT of pictures of his work and read about his techniques.

Maybe you are just as competent - we have no way of knowing without some proof - and the attitude you are copping isn't helping there either. Don't take constructive criticism as a personal attack.
Also, just wanted to say that I thought this was a very good post. Don't take it the wrong way.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:38 PM
A question for those of you that use soapy water to clay. What wash method do you use? One bucket or Two?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 AM
esf
Why wouldn't you rinse the vehicle first? If you're not rinsing, then you're leaving all of the dirt you're supposedly washing off the paint, on the paint for the clay to pick up. Seems like a pretty quick way to go through clay. While clay isn't necessarily expensive, it is more expensive than a clay lubricant. Also seems kind of pointless to even wash the vehicle at all if you're not going to rinse the dirt off first.

Just out of curiousity, what ratio is your wash soap in the spray bottle? Also what is your wash soap of choice?

Edit - mind wasn't functioning this morning so had to correct a sentence that didn't say what I wanted it to. Check 88benny's quote if you care that much.

Last edited by esf; 10-04-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:38 AM
esf
But what are you accomplishing by washing and not rinsing? You're not even rinsing the dirt off. Why wash at all? You could really save money on wash mitts. You could use it to buy more clay. By the way, your clay probably get's excessively dirty and scratches because of your methods. You should easily be able to clay multiple vehicles with no issues.

Again, out of curiousity, what ratio is your wash soap in the spray bottle? Also what is your wash soap of choice?

Old 10-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 69 Likes on 65 Posts
nope not pointless works fine my trucks black it doesnt bother me throwen my clay away cause ive used dirty clay and it scratches better safe than sorry Thanks for the concern
Benny, if you want people to read and learn from your post, it would really help to use puncuation. When trying to read your post, it is just words running together and takes a lot of time to get the meaning. It is just courtesy to the reader plus helps him understand. Many won't bother to read it when they see it all running together. Just a suggestion.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:25 PM
esf
You're very defensive benny. You should relax. We all know it's your opinion and your method. You stated that plenty of times now. However, this is a message board where things are discussed.

Yes a wash mitt will remove some of the dirt. It just seems odd that someone that is worried about their clay getting dirty and scratching wouldn't want to rinse off the remainder of the dirt before hand so that it doesn't unnecessarily get introduced to the clay. You figure a 200 gram bar of clay goes for about $20-$25. We'll call it $20. You can pick up a bottle of lube for maybe 7-8 bucks at your local Autozone or similar. You can spend $60 a year on clay if you like because you're too lazy to do a very simple extra step (rinsing and spraying qd) or you could spend the extra 90 seconds it takes to rinse a vehicle thoroughly, making it more safe for your paint, and spend maybe 2/3 of the cost (and that's being generous.)

My methods always worked for me as well. That is until I found a better way. Now, I'm constantly searching for better ways and better products. There is a reason that clay is boxed with lube in your major retail stores, which brings up another question not directed at you (or is it). How does someone hear of clay but never lube when almost everytime you see it on the shelf, it comes packaged together?

Last edited by esf; 10-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm really going to miss posts like this. (Sniff, sniff. OK, I'm over it.) The forces of wisdom, experience and good detailing - not to mention good punctuation and grammar - have won out. Thank god!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:04 PM
esf
I wish I would have used quotes. Now I look like I have an imaginary friend with schizophrenia.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by esf
I wish I would have used quotes. Now I look like I have an imaginary friend with schizophrenia.

Sorry, esf. A suspension was issued due to multiple usernames from the same IP.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:16 PM
esf
Originally Posted by Rockpick
Sorry, esf. A suspension was issued due to multiple usernames from the same IP.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by esf
Don't worry ESF, some of your friends are real!

Quick Reply: What do you use to lubricate your clay bar?